• 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Noticed this snail in my planted tank need help identifying it.... Its abt the size of a fingernail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191119_191645_1574176721495.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	889747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191120_142159_1574262895568.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	889773  

Last edited by nidhin.augustine; 11-20-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Better picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks like a bladder snail but the most important part of it for identification is hidden by your floater.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree that it looks like a bladder snail but Iím thrown off by the size (Iíve never seen one the size of a fingernail) and the transparent shell. Iíve never seen a transparent shell snail species before. I just discovered a white bladder snail in my tank, so who knows, right? (Itís not dead; itís definitively alive and healthy.)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Looks like a bladder snail but the most important part of it for identification is hidden by your floater.
Thanks a lot... Will try getting a better picture if i see him/her again 😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I agree that it looks like a bladder snail but Iím thrown off by the size (Iíve never seen one the size of a fingernail) and the transparent shell. Iíve never seen a transparent shell snail species before. I just discovered a white bladder snail in my tank, so who knows, right? (Itís not dead; itís definitively alive and healthy.)
Yeah not dead... was muching on some dead floater parts and yes quite transparent... May be lack of minerals?...

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-20-2019 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM
snails are your friend

I didn't see photo #2 when I replied yesterday. Pretty sure that's a pond snail. Could be low calcium and/or magnesium for it having the paper thin shell. Jake sent me this handy guide to distinguish the two:
Econde, Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Since you updated the photos, it appears to be a Pond Snail. One of the best kind of snails you can have in a freshwater tank as part of a cleanup crew.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I didn't see photo #2 when I replied yesterday. Pretty sure that's a pond snail. Could be low calcium and/or magnesium for it having the paper thin shell. Jake sent me this handy guide to distinguish the two:
Pond snail got it... Thanks... Photo 2 was an addition later on

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Since you updated the photos, it appears to be a Pond Snail. One of the best kind of snails you can have in a freshwater tank as part of a cleanup crew.
Does it reproduce like crazy.?.. (I do have assassin snails in the same tank) i dont want a 1000 snail problem... But i dont mind if its just a few snails...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM
snails are your friend

Snails only get out of hand if there is too much food in the tank. Like many on these forums, I add pond and trumpet snails to every aquarium I set up. I suspect they have a bad rap because so many people overfeed their aquariums but nothing reproduces past its resources.
Quint likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never had pond or bladder snails get out of control or even grow into a noticeable population. That might be because I've had ramshorn snails in the same tanks and they tend to dominate. Snails are good. (Although I never introduce Malaysian trumpet snails under any condition.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:46 PM
snails are your friend

Why is that? In my tanks the pond snail numbers are pretty much always higher than trumpet snails. I like having some diversity of them. Which reminds me that I need to get my hands on some ramshorns.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

I think I've got bladder snails too. It started with one that I could see - suddenly I'm seeing egg sacks everywhere and what I think are tiny babies.

Pic #1 is snail, in the top left.

Pic #2 is a snail trap I just made by cutting the top off a water bottle, filling bottle with greens and water, then inverting the bottle and placing vertically in the tank. They can get in, but they can't get out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't mind having a *giant* ramshorn! Those things are MASSIVE once fully grown!

And I think I kind of like the pond snails over the bladder snails! Almost everyone who questions what type of snail they have believe that they have pond snails... but they're really bladder snails. Always amused to see an actual pond snail!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
You say that, @Zoidburg, until you have one in your tank.

I had two of them for a couple years and they ate pretty much everything. Literally every plant that ever hit their tank, tore driftwood up, chewed holes in stuff, even killed other snails and ate them. Wild stuff.

I'd kinda like to have a 20gal for a few of them, though. Nice way to get rid of plant bits and food you're discarding. You should try to get your hands on some and start up a tank specifically for them.
Zoidburg likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I had a baby giant, I think... It was pretty "giant" compared to the mini ramshorns. Minute compared to an actual adult sized one... unless there's a size between mini (flat shells) and giant (shell on "back")? I only want one of course, unless I had several tanks, then I might want one in a few different tanks! lol

They're one snail that I actually find interesting!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

Discovered one of these snails in the hornwort I bought the other day,(with a transparent shell too). I am a beginner so I am not 100% sure but I think its a bladder snail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode