Anyone care to identify shrimp for me? I especially want to know if they are Neocardinia - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Anyone care to identify shrimp for me? I especially want to know if they are Neocardinia

I image these shrimp are fairly common, given the fact my not shrimp heavy pet store carries these. I was trying to buy 5 red cherry shimp, I ended up with 4, and I also have an orange one and a blue one. I was wondering what they are. I also am wondering if they are Neocardinia and if they would cross bread with my RCS. I have been out of the hobby for awhile, RCS were rare, much less Orange and Blue shrimp.

Attached are pictures, orange, blue,and a RCS.

Bump: Sorry for the sideways pictures. I will fix soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	889499  

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	889501  

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	889503  

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	889505  

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	889507  

Last edited by talontsiawd; 11-15-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Typos Galore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as I can tell, yes, they are all Neocaridina. If you have a mix of males and females (they look mostly female, if not all girls), then you will probably get some "wild type" Neos.

As of yet, there are no known confirmed cases of hybrids between Neos and Crystal shrimp. However, someone has managed to cross a Tiger species with a Neo and create fertile hybrids. If accurate, there's not much information out there of this yet so it's still rather unheard of...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Agreed on Neos, looks like possibly a fire red, a sakura cherry, an orange, and a blue carbon rilli. That orange kinda looks male to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
As of yet, there are no known confirmed cases of hybrids between Neos and Crystal shrimp. However, someone has managed to cross a Tiger species with a Neo and create fertile hybrids. If accurate, there's not much information out there of this yet so it's still rather unheard of...
Whoa, first time hearing this! Can you point me in the direction of more info(where/who dunnit)? Thanks!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Think you mean RCS, not CRS. RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp. CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp. It can get confusing when you're new-ish to shrimping.

But the shrimp you have are all Neocaridina and they'll interbreed. When that happens, they'll lose coloration and will inevitably revert to mottled, brown, wild-type Neos. As long as you're comfortable with that (I think you should be - more people should be!), they can be kept together. They all appear to be adults, likely imported by an unscrupulous wholesaler infamous for misinforming retailers and customers alike. Unfortunately, since they're adults, they're not going to have a long lifespan. Should have a long enough life to reproduce a few times, though.

One thing you could do since you're keeping them together is try to breed for dark brown/black (chocolate) coloration. They're really attractive shrimp and I think they're under appreciated in the hobby. You've got a lot of nice rock work in your tank and they'd look amazing flitting about. Just make sure you've got some hidey holes for them - moss, caves, something in the back of the tank (so it doesn't obstruct your view of the scape) that they can hide under.

You have more than enough hobby experience to be incredibly successful with shrimp. Glad to see you jumping in with them.

Tigers cross with other Caridina species regularly but I have never seen evidence of a Neocaridina cross - only claims of a cross. I'm guessing it's the same claim @Zoidburg references. Those claims - I think - originated from someone who just a few months prior didn't know much about shrimp. If I remember correctly, there was a strong possibility the Tiger actually bred with a Babaulti - a Caridina species. I've kept Neos since the 90s and Tigers since 2004/2005 and have never had a cross occur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Think you mean RCS, not CRS. RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp. CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp. It can get confusing when you're new-ish to shrimping.

But the shrimp you have are all Neocaridina and they'll interbreed. When that happens, they'll lose coloration and will inevitably revert to mottled, brown, wild-type Neos. As long as you're comfortable with that (I think you should be - more people should be!), they can be kept together. They all appear to be adults, likely imported by an unscrupulous wholesaler infamous for misinforming retailers and customers alike. Unfortunately, since they're adults, they're not going to have a long lifespan. Should have a long enough life to reproduce a few times, though.
My appoligies, it has been many years since I kept shrimp, and you are correct I meant RCS. I edited my post.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. That confirmed what I thought. I don't mind them breading and looking more wild, I mostly went with RCS for size and temperament, not specifically color. I feel a larger colony of RCS has made a good clean up crew for me in the past, not as good as Amano shrimp, but on reason I didn't go with Amano's is I felt I wanted more than I could reasonably sustain, and I felt they would be too large in size. I just wanted to understand what I could be getting into before hand. Again, thank you for the information, I have only kept shrimp once before this besides Amano's.

-Matt

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Shrimp are great for cleaning up - especially when something in the tank kicks the bucket. They'll pick apart another shrimp, snail, fish apart faster than you'd think is possible. So good on that front.

Even better about wild-types. Hopefully you'll get a good mix. I'm betting a good number of them will have solid enough coloration to allow you to easily breed dark/brown ones.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's the supposed Aura Tiger x Neo hybrid (C. mariae x N. davidi)

May be 1 or 2 other supposed crosses shared there too

https://www.facebook.com/shrimpart/p...581376/?type=3

Part of the argument is about how we get some of the tiger colors that we do. Are there actual tigers in the wild that could create some of the tiger colors we have in captivity? Or did those colors come about from hybridization? And if mixed, was the color from Crystals or?
KayakJimW likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep, some of them are the ones I was thinking of - people without significant experience despite claims to the contrary. There's still been no evidence of a cross or hybrid. Just completely unsubstantianted claims. I'd love to see a genetic analysis of the shrimp in question. Best I can tell, they've declined to allow that to occur for whatever reason.

As you know, many Tiger shrimp exist in the wild - black stripes, red stripes, et al. And all of the color variants currently available can be selectively bred over several generations. Like breeding Tigers with more yellow from, say, "Super Tigers" with lots of yellow on their tails. So I can see how nearly every coloration can happen.

Same with Neos. Cherries were developed when an early shrimp keeper noticed bits of red coloration. Selective breeding started there. Then, as other color variants popped up, we started breeding them out. Yellows, clear ones, Rili, et al.

The whole thing is fascinating to me. Because I do want there to be hard evidence of Neo-Tiger interbreeding.
Zoidburg likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode