All shrimps die within a day of being put into my tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
All shrimps die within a day of being put into my tank

I made a new scape about 5 months ago. All equipment is the same as the previous scape. Amanos and cherries thrived in the last one.

When I put my old amanos that were housed in a small tank while I rescaped into the new scape, they all died within a day. I thought I had done something terribly wrong. Fish were fine.

Fast forward a month and I bought crystal shrimp. Fish, plants and parameters had been fine since the start of the new scape. All shrimp were dead the next day.

Fast forward to yesterday. I got a couple cherry shrimp to test again. They died.

I've been dripping them 4-6 hours each. The old setup was fine, and I've dripped plenty of shrimp for my wife's tank in the meantime successfully.

I'm at a loss. The only thing different in the tank this time around is power sand, volcanic rock and driftwood (branchwood).

Parameters are the same. Kh and gh are slightly lower due to the absence of seiryu stone but I put in gh and kh. Same salt ferts. Same ph and co2 drop. Plants and fish are thriving.

What is going on???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Very sorry to hear this. My first thought would be poisoning of some sort since everything else seems to be in line. Shrimp will often die en masse even though fish chug right along. Seems even more probable since shrimp you were keeping alive in your own water were unaffected until being moved to this tank.

An absolute long shot but I lost an entire cull tank once due to stray electric current a few years back. I happened to have a cut on my fingers going into it after the mass die off and felt the tingle. After unplugging each item and sticking my cut back in the water, I realized it was a heater that had gotten moisture inside. Still not 100% sure it was the electricity or something metal inside corroding, but that tank is back to full of shrimp again now that the heater was removed and water changes performed.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and please let us know if you figure out what the culprit was.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Very sorry to hear this. My first thought would be poisoning of some sort since everything else seems to be in line. Shrimp will often die en masse even though fish chug right along. Seems even more probable since shrimp you were keeping alive in your own water were unaffected until being moved to this tank.

An absolute long shot but I lost an entire cull tank once due to stray electric current a few years back. I happened to have a cut on my fingers going into it after the mass die off and felt the tingle. After unplugging each item and sticking my cut back in the water, I realized it was a heater that had gotten moisture inside. Still not 100% sure it was the electricity or something metal inside corroding, but that tank is back to full of shrimp again now that the heater was removed and water changes performed.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and please let us know if you figure out what the culprit was.
Wow, very interesting. My heater is inline but who knows. I actually got a new filter now that I think about it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Dripping shrimp for 4-6 hours isn't really helpful. You should be able to get things done in 45min to an hour. Basically want to add 4x-5x the water they're in over that period of time. That's enough for even the most sensitive invert going into wildly different parameters to adjust to different conditions and osmotic pressures.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kH, gH? TDS? Temperature? Are you adding fertilizer? Has the tank ever been treated with copper?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The dripping and parameters are fine as far as I can tell. My wife and I use the same RO water, remineralization and ferts. Parameters are almost identical. Her shrimp are doing well and have had multiple babies.

The tank hasn't been treated for copper. Biggest difference between my wife and mine is the hardscape material.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Could you answer the questions I asked with some specificity? That will help rule out the basics. And may shed some light on other potential issues - like with hardscape.

Could you also be detailed about the hardscape you have? Where was it sourced? Could you share photos of the tank?
rakali likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode