Black devil snail and stocking? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black devil snail and stocking?

Hi, I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 3 mystery snails, 2 nerites, some ramshorns and a young, male, plakat betta. Recently a nerite got stuck between the heater and the glass. Since he was a nerite he could not turn around and I didn’t notice till to late😢RIP. I felt horrible (still do) about it and have been shopping around for a replacement for him. I love rabbits and black devils and I was wondering if my tank could support one.

Tank details:

10 gallon lightly planted with aqua clear 200 and small air bubbler stocked with 2 nerites, 3 mystery snails, 1 betta and some rams that found their way in on a plant.

Perimeters: Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5-10 ppm.

Is my tank big enough for a black devil and could I get one with my stocking?

Thx!

Btw, snails get blanched vegetables every couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

I am no expert, but I have a black devil in 3 different tanks in my house. I love them, but they are huge, so you can probably only have one. I think they should be fine in your tank from a bioload standpoint. You may need to feed them though, the algae in your tank may not be enough since there are other snails. I give mine algae wafers once or twice a week and they love them. My mystery snails enjoy them too. I have 20 gallon tank that has many ornamental snails and a betta, I always worry that the snails aren't going to get enough to eat since the betta doesn't really drop any food and I never really have much visible algae, so I feed algae wafers and spirulina flakes. Mystery snails seem to have a large appetite too. I enjoy my snails as much as the fish!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea, I feed them blanched vegetables (including spinach, chard, peas, green beans, zucchini, cucumber, squash, sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, plantain, etc...) I also feed them some fruits sometime (like blueberries, banana, pear and such). Snails enjoy a lot of foods. For protein they get leftover betta pellets and snello (which includes a mix of blanched veggies, powdered cuttlebone, bloodworms, powdered fish food, some water and gelatin). All my snails are well fed. The nerites never touch their gourmet assortment of favorite foods in the snail world, they are just obsessed with any bit of algae they can find. I once got the zebra to eat a little boiled cabbage and I may tray that again, but obviously they are getting enough food to sustain themselves elsewhere.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Btw, I did just get home from the LFS, I purchased a baby rabbit (only a centimeter long), he’s adorable🙂. Since all the adults weren’t doing very good and I got a baby, the guy threw in a free baby mystery snail too.Click image for larger version

Name:	06233842-90C3-477F-912C-BA30D3BECA9D_1573271615259.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	889125Click image for larger version

Name:	843CE365-7426-4AA5-8006-79F5173E218A_1573272063045.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	889127
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Definitely keep up on vegetable feeding. Just be careful with sugary items like fruit, as they're prone to fouling water pretty quickly.

Both types of snail will chow down on plants - especially new growth - if they don't have enough of something else to keep their interest. Same goes for adding tissue-cultured plants.

I've kept Tylomelania gemmifera for probably 20 years but it never fails: every couple years I forget that they're potential plant-eaters and then add some new plants. BAM! New plants get devoured. Had this problem a couple months ago when I added some tissue-cultured red root floater. It was all gone in two days. HEAD-DESK. So learn from my constantly repeated mistakes.

(Tylos frequently come with leeches... so be prepared for that if it happens so you aren't freaked out when you see them.)

Pomacea diffusa may also need a bit of surface area above the waterline in order to lay eggs when they get old enough. They sometimes just hang out above the water. So keep that in mind. They're also prone to leaving tanks that aren't covered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea, i only feed sweet things every once in a while. I mostly feed veggies and sweet potatoes. I just give them a blueberry or something as a treat every once in a while. Yes, I have a hood and a don't fill the tank completely so the nerites and mysteries can get out of the water for air and stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode