CRS dying shrimps - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CRS dying shrimps

Hi,
5 months ago I bought 10 crs. Everything was fine. They survived. Two month later bought 20 more and still survived. Then bought 50 more. And since 2 months everything is going bad.
I keep loosing 1-2 shrimps per day. And I do not know what to do. I am starting to lose hope.
My parameters are ph:6.8, amonia: 0, gh: 5, kh: 2. Temperature 23,5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are they breeding at all?

What substrate is in the tank?

What is the water source?

What about nitrites and nitrates?

Can you lower the temp of the tank?

Increase oxygen in tank?

Any CO2 or ferts?

What are you feeding and how often?
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are they breeding at all? YES THEY ARE BREEDING.
What substrate is in the tank? FLUVAL STRATUM 8 month old.
What is the water source? WITH TAP at begging.BUT NOW SINCE 2 WATER CHSNGE RIO WATER.
What about nitrites and nitrates? NITRITES: 0, NITRATES 0-2.
Can you lower the temp of the tank? YES, I LIVE IN A COLD CITY.
Increase oxygen in tank? Any CO2 or ferts? MY PLANTS NEED CO2.SO I USE PRESSURIZED CO2. NO FERTS ADDED.
What are you feeding and how often? EVERY 2 DAYS

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You may need to choose another substrate for them and switch the substrate out.

Is the CO2 new? Any chances that they're getting too much in tank? You may need to temporarily stop the CO2 to see if you can resolve the death issue.

It's good that you are switching to RO water. Are you using GH minerals added or mixing with tap? If mixing with tap, can you use RO water only with GH minerals? Maybe something changed in tap and that's causing deaths.

You also haven't mentioned what you are feeding...
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What substrate do you recommend?
The co2 is not new. And there is 12 drop a minute. My gh in tap water was around 5-6. Bacter AE, shrimp mineral and shrimp dinner
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Using CO2 without also providing fertilizer is likely half your problem. What kind of plants do you keep that require CO2 and no additional fertilizer? What kind of lighting do you have? You probably should pick one of the other: CO2 or shrimp. Unless you have a lot of experience, it's almost never a good idea to keep shrimp with CO2.

The other problem is water parameters - which includes the foods you add. Temperature is on the high side for Crystal Shrimp. kH is also a bit too high for my liking. Most Caridina are kept in lower kH, lower temperature water.

As far as food goes... how much are you adding? Do you remove what isn't eaten after an hour?
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What temperature should I go at?
And everything is eaten in 20-30 min.
I forgot the name but it is like grass and without co2 its is turning white-yellow.
My light is the original on a fluval flex.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you do nothing else, at least stop feeding Bacter AE. After that CO2.

SL-Aqua, Controsoil, Brightwell, ADA (Light) and others are generally considered good.

Temp wise, I would recommend 15-20 C, no warmer than that. You *can* go cooler, but that's a good general range to stick to.
Discusluv likes this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Back home. 2 dead shrimps
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:14 AM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What's the TDS?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

In addition to the list @Zoidburg provided, regular ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia (not just Light and Amazonia II) is a great substrate for Caridina shrimp (plural.) Probably my favorite. Releases enough ammonia to actually cycle a tank properly. Ignore comments about it clouding water. It won't if you aren't sloppy. But what you have should work well for a while if you focus on more ideal water parameters.

How much are you feeding? I asked because a more specific answer is necessary. It's good that it's eaten quickly but how much? Please be as specific as you can.

Figure out the specific plants you have. Start keeping plants that will work with your setup without using CO2. If you want to keep shrimp and are new to them, that's the only way to go. Maybe do some reading here on the forum about how and why people use pressurized CO2.

Commonly accepted temperature parameters are available all over this forum and countless other websites. How much reading about Crystal Shrimp have you done? Don't take this as being rude - because I'm not trying to shame you - but it seems like you need to do a lot more research. Coming here to ask questions was a terrific first step. Spend at least an hour today reading about proper care. If you don't, your shrimp will continue to die because you've unintentionally created the perfect storm for them.

Could you post photos of your tank to give us an idea of what you're working with?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tds 175 temperature is now at 21C.
This is the food I am using.
Co2 had been stoped today.
I had done a lot of ready before purchasing some but I am not pro. Lol.
Click image for larger version

Name:	17B0E6C4-8BFF-47C3-A79A-CD0B40F4945B.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	888997

Name:	2B83AF16-CFB5-4C0B-A0FD-BD1C1258F97F.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	888999

Name:	F6C86AED-B177-46D7-8526-88EC37F19C1D.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	889001

Name:	4FE5960F-9B79-452C-9577-EB9628A84801.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	889003
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

How much are you feeding?

Quantity?

Your definition of not much may be someone else's definition of way too much. So it'd be good to rule that out.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the picture linked is what I feed every 2 days. I give half of a stick.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpcrstank View Post
What is the water source? WITH TAP at begging.BUT NOW SINCE 2 WATER CHSNGE RIO WATER.
When did you swap to RO? What are you remineralizing with?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode