CRS dying shrimps - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoT View Post
Check the TDS. 0-10 is acceptable, anything else is bad.
It was 2-4 when tested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpcrstank View Post
It was 2-4 when tested
It sounds like the BacterAE has been your problem all along.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes maybe it was the bacterAE, but I am still loosing shrimps everyday. Today 3 died. What should I do to pause everything?

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:24 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Yes maybe it was the bacterAE, but I am still loosing shrimps everyday. Today 3 died. What should I do to pause everything?
IME if you're low on oxygen (too much co2, BacterAE murdering your shrimp, etc), an airstone will help balance things out. I'd give that a try and see if your casualties stop after a day or so. If they don't, then BacterAE may not have been the culprit :/
Zoidburg and Shrimpcrstank like this.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:48 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Start with water changes and increasing oxygenation.

Do a 10% water change every day for the next few days. Monitor parameters closely. Test for everything that you can.

Once your tank stabilizes, I'd get into a habit of doing water changes on a weekly instead of bi-weekly basis.

Quote:
What should I do to pause everything?
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are these worms normal?
Found those after water change.
link of the video on youtube.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Because of the way they are swimming, they are detritus worms. They swim like snakes with a head pointed in one direction. Nothing to worry about. They are typically found in the substrate.

People have found that shrimp generally grow larger in colder temps, too... so although warmer temps may encourage faster growth, they generally don't get as large in warmer temps as they might in colder temps.... My tanks don't have heaters, but the tanks still aren't "cold" since it's more like 'room temp'. Tempted to set up an outside fountain and tossing some shrimp into it and see what happens.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hahahhahaa!
I think I found out whats wrong. The Ro water from my friend had a TDS of 13. !!!!!
That may be the cause

Last edited by Shrimpcrstank; 11-08-2019 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Error
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The shrimps came from a local breeder.
Water change 10% every 2 weeks.
I think there is 50 now.

Bump:

How can I test the RO water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoT View Post
Check the TDS. 0-10 is acceptable, anything else is bad.

Agreed, also if you want to test for bacteria:
boil water to sanitize mason jar/lid 20 min,

use sealed jar to collect free flowing (wait min or 2 before collecting sample after water flowing) RO water from source.

seal container.

boil vegetable (broccoli ) for min ten minutes, with sterile boiled twizzers put vegetable in container with RO water.

Seal, be as sanitary as possible.

Wait 10 days, is water cloudy = bacteria.

Reading this, it may be too much work for what probably is not that big of a deal... I digress.

But you may just worry about TDS
as its its more appicable.

Hey you outside the tank, yeah, can you please set the timer again I am loosing some beauty sleep with this light schedule!
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Treat it with Prime and you should be fine if that's the case.

Quote:
Hahahhahaa!
I think I found out whats wrong. The Ro water from my friend had a TDS of 13. !!!!!
That may be the cause

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

QUICK UPDATE.
I have made several water changes since then and the situation has greatly improved and I no longer have any deaths but my population has decreased dramatically since then.
I completely stopped the CO2 and replace it with an air stone, and used DI water gh+.
I noticed that I had the beginning of a small formation of black algae. Can the air stone be the cause of it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode