bio slime, how long does it take to form? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SwampGirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
bio slime, how long does it take to form?

How long does it take for bio slime to form?
The tank has been cycled for almost a month. (one week short of a month)

In two weeks the plants will have been in the tank for a month.
I have been dosing the tank with ammonia to keep the cycle going, and fertilizer.

I can see tiny little tufts of algae on the driftwood here and there, that is new as of this week.

Moss is sort of growing, very slowly though.

I am not in a hurry, but looking forward to moving my Cherry reds into there home.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

You should be more or less ok with micro growth. Try rubbing the glass with your finger, you should be able to see or feel the slime if its there. Do you have any snails in there already?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes, snails made it into the new tank, had to be from filter media from another tank, though I picked a bunch out must have missed some.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbubba001 View Post
Yes, snails made it into the new tank, had to be from filter media from another tank, though I picked a bunch out must have missed some.
Snails will actually promote the growth of bio film and are good for shrimp tanks, in my and many other people's experiences. They also break down food into smaller pieces for shrimplets and micro-crustaceans.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Are you testing ammonia daily before adding ammonia?

What's the concentration (PPM) of ammonia you're dosing/bringing the tank to? It's important to test ammonia before adding more. Also important to bring the tank to a set concentration each time you add ammonia so you don't overdo it.

Three weeks is about half way where you need to be. Give it another 3-4 before considering shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Are you testing ammonia daily before adding ammonia?

What's the concentration (PPM) of ammonia you're dosing/bringing the tank to? It's important to test ammonia before adding more. Also important to bring the tank to a set concentration each time you add ammonia so you don't overdo it.

Three weeks is about half way where you need to be. Give it another 3-4 before considering shrimp.
I am adding 1/2 to 3/4 ppm a day, depends how many drops come out of the pipet.
In about 12 hours the ammonia is gone, there is some nitrite that is gone 24 hours after the ammonia is added, and repeat.

The tank can eat up 1 ppm ammonia in a day no problem.

Waiting a few more weeks sounds good, there are tiny little tufts of algae forming on the driftwood, sort of looks good.

Probably going to add some more plants out of the main tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode