• 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
My outdoor shrimp I had forgotten about

We've hit a cold snap and I'm just getting to removing my white clouds from the garden pond. I caught quite a few of the fish, all manner of insect larvae, tadpoles and such, but what shocked me somewhat was this:

At the bottom of the photo can be seen a big Neocaridina shrimp! I put a few from a cull tank outside after watching Rachael O'Leary's video and honestly had kind of forgotten I had. I've netted out four so far, but most of them are probably deep in the leaf litter. The pond water temperature was 41.0 this morning, I'm letting this 5 gallon bucket heat up slowly outside.

Acclimating them from 40 to 70 might be more of a swing than they can survive in a day but air temps are getting below freezing again tonight and I'm just going to catch what I can and try to slowly warm them up. Just thought folks might find this interesting. All four I have caught so far are much larger than they grow in my aquariums.
deeda and JoT like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:47 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's awesome! Let's hope they live so you can compare them to some standard neos!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know someone locally to me.... she has 3 or 4 indoor aquariums and two outside "ponds" (aka half whiskey barrel style ponds). One she likes to keep shrimp and guppies in. She puts heaters in them during the winter and takes the heaters out during the warmer months. Last year, she took the heater out too early and we had a cold snap one night.... almost all the fish had died. Literally less than a handful left.... and the shrimp? Still shrimping around!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoT View Post
That's awesome! Let's hope they live so you can compare them to some standard neos!
They're just plain ol' Neos that spent a few months outdoors. I think their size can be attributed to cool temps and tons of food. Trying to warm them up ever so slowly to acclimate them to indoor temps now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I know someone locally to me.... she has 3 or 4 indoor aquariums and two outside "ponds" (aka half whiskey barrel style ponds). One she likes to keep shrimp and guppies in. She puts heaters in them during the winter and takes the heaters out during the warmer months. Last year, she took the heater out too early and we had a cold snap one night.... almost all the fish had died. Literally less than a handful left.... and the shrimp? Still shrimping around!
Yeah, I've lost a lot of shrimp to warm water but never to cold. And I've let them get awfully cold.

Well, it was getting just below zero last night and I tried to get well into this pond and bring in anything I could save in the last hours of daylight. It's not looking promising, very few white cloud fry to be found. I really hope they are just laying low and dormant because the water surface shimmered with them a couple of weeks ago. I'll be gutted if they are all gone. But I've messed with white clouds for a while now, and if anything comes back in droves it's Tan's fish. But from just swinging a net around I got more full grown sized fish than fry. And only got 7 whole shrimp out of digging through pounds of leaf litter and sludge with my fingers. Small ones I just let go back in the pond rather than foul up the buckets getting them into the clean water.

Out of fear of them freezing I took a 300W aquarium heater out of storage and set it as low as it goes and dropped it in for the night. Outdoors on a pond probably pushing 1,000 gallons and that was at about 44 F in temperature at the time. But there was a warm (well, not freezing) area for them to congregate last night. I don't care if it kills my heater, I just don't want to do the wrong thing for the living fauna. This pond steamed lightly when I went out yesterday morning without a heater but the pond is deep enough (36") to get some ground warmth.

I found a few more shrimp today in the warm zone and they are whoppers. Makes me want to consider a much more leaf heavy approach and worry less about pristine water.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-04-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode