• 1 Post By beanbag
  • 1 Post By MtAnimals
  • 3 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
(Don't) Hail Hydra!

So I've never had hydra before but today I realized they're in at least two of my tanks, hanging off the pre-filter sponge. The way they move is... creepy. I read they can get up to an inch big but these are still small. However, I'm worried about possible shrimp fry in my one tank. In that one I have betta, a nerite, chopstick snail, and wild type neocaridina. Are any of them in danger? Will they sting/harm my tank occupants? In the other tank I have a betta and chopstick snail, no shrimp. Both are medium-moderately heavy planted tanks. I'm not sure how these creatures got in both tanks, though I'm concerned if they got in more, since one of my other tanks is a shrimp breeding colony.

I know dewormer will kill them, or one can wait for them to die out when their source of micro-organism food is gone (unless they're herbivores or photosynthetic?). Though I also read they're a natural part of an established ecosystem like nematodes, seed shrimp, and planaria. Do I keep or react?

Edit: One of them has tentacles half an inch long. Can these actually sting me? ..Okay, it's actually extended its tentacles to an inch long.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 11-01-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: terrifying edits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Planted Member

gently nuke them
chicken.nublet likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
gently nuke them
....from orbit,it's the only way to be sure.
CharleeFoxtrot likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Planaria products will be harmful to your snails and could make the tank inhabitable for them for 8+ months.

Hydra can harm shrimp, especially young shrimp.

Best bet is to figure out safe ways to remove them, which may include removing the shrimp and introducing a fish predator that will eat them or other methods.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I think people generally overreact with hydra. I've never found a need to treat a tank and manual removal has always worked well for me. A combination of pipette/turkey baster and a scraping tool of some sort is probably the easiest method. Suck them up as you scrape them loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a total outbreak, I see them on the glass and not just on the pre-filter sponge. Read if one happens to get cut in half, it turns into two hydra. I'll try manual removal for now but I don't know if it'll nip this in the bud.

I read that pond snails will also seek out and kill hydra, is that true? The tank with the most hydra usually has several common bladder snails (though haven't seen as many as of late).

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 11-03-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added word "Read"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Would be helpful if you could post a photo.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They're too thin for my camera to focus on; this is the best shot I could get. It only captured a few but there were a lot more there (just tinier).

I know the picture shows the betta looking interested, but she's actually more behind the sponge (and mostly blind, she has cataracts). I tried to lure her down there to see how she'd react but she kept trying to avoid that area.

Edit: As most are heavily focused on the pre-filtered sponges, I am in the process of removing them, and going after the rest.

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 11-03-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added edit

Tags
freshwater, hydra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode