(Don't) Hail Hydra! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok. The tank does have a ton of snails, but I'm actually not sure if they are pond snails or bladder snails. They are small, dark, and sometimes float. I may wait for this batch of fry to hatch and mature, and then add some fish for a while.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice. The internet says multiple things on this topic, some of which are maybe shrimp safe with chemicals?

I decided to try a fish-based approach. I added eight more otos, and five red tetras, who seem like they would be embarrassed to bother a baby shrimp.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Streetwise The tetras will likely go after your baby shrimp.

get out of my house

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

What up dudes? I’m in the same damn boat, so I figured I’d chime in. Just got my 20L planted cycled, got 20 Blue Dream Neos and days later, I’ve got hydra all over. That’s what I get for buying Etsy plants. Worse, some of the females must have been berried on arrival and I have seen a few microscopic shrimplets. I’m pretty sure the Hydra got them, but I’m praying and waiting.

Anyway, I’ve been doing a ton of research and I’ve had to make some tough decisions. I’m nuking from orbit as was previously suggested. I purchased safeguard goat dewormer at the local tractor supply. It’s 100 mg/ml of Fenbendazole in liquid suspension (much easier to mix than the powder. I made a mixture of 1 ml of the dewormer to 9 ml of tank water then the Internet research I read stated to apply 0.25 times your tank volume. My tank is 20 gallons and I’m assuming 2 gallons of substrate and decor, so I dosed 4.5 ml of the mixture (0.25 x 18). I waited 24 hours and saw little effect. I dosed again with the same amount. I’m now at 48 hours and I only see two hydra remaining and they’re tentacles are retracted (a good sign). I’m going to hold off on dosing again and wait another 24 hours to see if remaining hydra die. I see no ill effects in my shrimp yet and I removed all my MTS prior to starting treatment.

God, I never knew shrimp keeping would be this tough and stressful. I can tell you for one thing, I’ll never put another plant in my tank without soaking it in Fenbendazole for at least 24 hours prior again. Good luck to the OP and I’ll let you know how my hydra disaster turns out.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Shrimpandwhitewine - there's a chance that you will not be able to keep any fancy snails in your tank for 6-8+ months... not sure how MTS will do. Best of luck!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Shrimpandwhitewine This is why I only buy tissue-culture plants now. It's also good to soak your tools in a solution before use, to help prevent cross contamination between tanks. Do you have more than one tank or just the one? I noticed you said 20 L (which would be a 5 gallon) and then 20 gallon.

You could try and collect as many shrimp as you can and then heat the tank up to 104-110 F for a few hours (I did two and it seemed to have worked). I prefer not to use chemicals that could hurt inverts I want to add later.

get out of my house
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

@Zoidburg Yep, I was fully aware of that when I pulled out the thermonuclear weapons. I’m okay with pond snails and hopefully the MTS will be able to hack it when I put them back in there. First I’ll run carbon for a couple weeks. I don’t need any fancy snails. They’re there strictly to create some bioload since the shrimp don’t produce much waste. I’ll keep you all posted on how things shake out.
Zoidburg likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

@Ryan Mosby I only have the one tank. It’s a 20 gallon Long. That’s why I call it 20L. Sorry for the confusion. I would rather limit my potential future snails than accidentally cook my baby shrimp, so I went with the dewormer. I’ll keep you all posted on whether I can keep MTS after this episode.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I look forward to more posts. F' Hydra.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

@Streetwise Amen to that, F’ Hydra!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Has anybody tried naming these pests? The first time I experienced the phenomenon, there was a mouse in my house that was cornered by the cat (no, not a dr seuss reference!). Poor thing, he was terrified, but the cat was losing. Badly. I chased the cat away and stuck the mouse in an airtight container so I could show the gf how much of a pansy her cat was (insert evil laugh). After several hours I lost interest and tossed the mouse into the toilet. Flushed several times. Mouse still was swimming. About this time I was finally won over by the persistence. I dubbed the mouse Bartholemew and went for a bite proof implement to retrive him from the swirly swimming pool - when I returned 30 seconds later, I found a drowned Bart!!!!

The moral? Nothing dies without a name ?!? Maybe someone is more glib than I and would like to chime in on that.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@edothas You tried to flush a mouse? That seems cruel and unusual.

I stopped naming my shrimp because they'd die afterward, they live longer without names.

get out of my house
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 AM
Algae Grower

I can see where hydra could be a nuisance, I had a few in a tank many years ago and I thought they were the coolest thing but they disappeared. They reminded me of something you would see in a saltwater tank like little feather dusters. Iím guessing they had a food source that disappeared, that tank had a lot of daphnia type organisms as well, kind of a fun tank, like a freshwater mini-reef with new organisms always appearing. Best of luck with your tank, john
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quick update on my tank. I have now dosed the Safe Guard (Fenbendazole) 3 times, each 24 hours apart. I can see zero hydra in the tank and I have been searching thoroughly. Shrimp all seem fine. They are active, eating, grazing, etc. I’m planning to wait 24 hours more then I’ll do a 20% water change and add carbon to my filter to remove as much residual Fenbendazole as possible. After one week on carbon I’ll add back my MTS. It’s too soon to tell, but I’m feeling pretty confident that all Hydra have been quite thoroughly nuked from orbit. Fingers crossed.
Zoidburg likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got seven glow fin tetras and ten otocinclus, and the hydra seem to have gotten eaten!
Shrimpandwhitewine likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
freshwater, hydra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode