Cpo crayfish in community aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cpo crayfish in community aquarium?

Hello,
I want to buy at least 2-3 cpo crayfishes, but I don't know how would that played out with other fishes. So I have one gourami fish, 6 rosy tetras, 10 neon tetras, 6 kuhli loaches, 2 plecos, 3 flag tetras and 1 chinese algae eater in my 27 gallon aquarium. And now I am wondering if I can even own cpo crayfishes. If anybody have expiriences with cpo crayfishes pleas help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have an orange CPO in a pico tank with an endler pair and several shrimp. The endlers kept spawning, causing me a lot of grief in attempting to maintain the tiny ecosystem. I moved in Captain Crawdaddy and he's been taking care of those pesky fry ever since. Between spawnings he wanders around and snacks on whatever, but if he goes too long without some direct feeding, he starts snipping at the shrimp that are just about equal in size to him. He hasn't managed to catch one, but to reduce likelihood of shrimp losses I do give him mineral pearls every so often--which he LOVES. In your case I'd be most worried about the fish picking on the crayfish because even my tiny endlers have picked at the Captain, nibbling a bit off of his tail. Give them lots of hiding places and opportunities to eat in peace and they should be fine.

Edit: Boy, you have a lot of fish in that tank. Make sure your parameters are good for keeping crayfish. I've found them to be hardier than most shrimp (IME), but still far from bulletproof.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for your anwser. And yes I have a bit too much of fishes wich I got thrid of them from my friend who was getting rid of her aquarium. So was life or death situation for those fishes. And I wanted a crayfish for a long time. Then I found out about cpo crayfishes, but I was worried that they would pick on my fishes. But now when I think about how my fishes turn into savages when they see food the crayfishes would be the ones who would get hurt faster. So I think I can just forget about idea of crayfishes living in my aquarium.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:29 PM
JoT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine101 View Post
So I think I can just forget about idea of crayfishes living in my aquarium.
If you give them sufficient hiding places and spot-feed them occasionally, they should be fine, especially as they get to their maximum size. My CPO is very much a juvenile, so it's subject to being picked on by endlers. He'll get to be double his existing size and I don't expect he'll be picked on then

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode