Taiwan Bee: steady temps, or let it fluctuate? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Taiwan Bee: steady temps, or let it fluctuate?

Hello folks,

I have a tank with Taiwan Bee shrimp. There's both a heater and cooler, so I can set the temp range to whatever I want. Should I set it to a narrow temperature range (coz "stability") or should I let it fluctuate a bit to be.. I dunno... more natural? What I know is:
Colder temps mean shrimp live longer, grow bigger, and breed less. (This is what I want anyway)
Discobee says 70-73F
A certain reputable person on this forum has the upper limit in the high 60's and doesn't use a heater, so I assume the temps drop a lot daily.

The tank is currently set up so that the cooler goes on at 71.6F and heater goes on at 68F. The last few months were hot, so the temps were usually near 71. Everything was fine. The last few weeks started getting cooler, so now the temps bump against the lower limit of 68F. My Blue bolt somehow got bigger in these last two molts, so ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could easily drop the heater down to 65 or below and they would still do fine. 70+ could be considered on the warmer side for some, and others it's just 'house temp' - that is, they don't use heaters or coolers in tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:24 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
I don't heat (or cool other than sometimes a fan). In the Dennerle Breeders n Keepers "Wild Shrimp China" edition, they collected Caridina and recorded the parameters. Turns out they get a lot colder than the care sheets suggest in their native environments. I am of the belief that too warm is a much greater concern than too cool. As long as they are under 70, I don't sweat it. 70-73 seems an awfully narrow range and on the warmer side from my perspective.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I'd ditch the heater entirely. All of my tanks thrive when they're in the 60s. They're just okay/do fine in the low 70s - nothing like the cooler temps, though.

Best bet is to set your cooling device to kick on when things hit, say, 73 and don't worry about keeping the tank warm at all. It'll be fine even in the 50s. But if your tank is constantly in the 50s? At that point you'd probably be freezing in whatever room you have the tank in and I'm assuming you'd have some sort of heating to keep yourself warm and that should be more than sufficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It'll be fine even in the 50s. But if your tank is constantly in the 50s? At that point you'd probably be freezing in whatever room you have the tank in and I'm assuming you'd have some sort of heating to keep yourself warm and that should be more than sufficient.

Well for example during x mas and new years I will be away visiting mum and pop, so I won't have the apartment heater on, therefore it will drop into the low 50s or maybe even lower. Thus I may as well add a heater. And as long as I add a heater, may was well set it to some value...

Currently, I have neither heater nor cooler on one of the tanks and the temp goes from 70 to 63 since it is not cold enough yet for me to bother turning on my gas heater. Is the amount of daily fluctuation ok? OR maybe even beneficial in some way?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode