Livebearers Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Livebearers Tank

Good afternoon all! So I have a 29 gallon planted tank with guppies and a couple of panda corys. I want to add some shrimp to the tank for a bit more color to the ground but I'm not sure if guppies are shrimp safe and also if there are freshwater shrimp that want their water as warm as the guppies do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

adult shrimps should be safe with guppies but the babies will probably get eaten.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

I have a 29 gallon with a dozen-ish guppies and a thriving shrimp colony! I also have TONS of plant cover and the shrimp (cherries) were probably 50 strong before there were a significant number of fish (tetras & a molly, at the time) before I added all the guppies. It's been about a year since I was given the tank (it came with shrimp, tetras, molly, and some other random fish), and I've scooped out easily 100 shrimp in the last month, and count a hundred more, easily (which probably means there are 200 ). LOTS of plant cover is key, IMO. The thermometer is one of those sticker ones, so I'm only guessing at the temperature with the heater in it -- I think it's around 78. I unplugged it for the summer and just plugged it back in a week or two ago, as Michigan is getting a little chilly and the room the tank is in isn't heated wonderfully (cinderblock warehouse, against an exterior wall). I figured a steady heat was better than the fluctuations that it would start experiencing, otherwise.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:41 PM

I have a 55 gallon community tank with livebearers, one GBR, and cory cats and I've recently added 7 Amanos and cherry shrimp. I agree with Cinnamonamon, the more plant cover you have the better. One thing you could do as well is buy a some ghost shrimp (they usually go for .50 each) to test out their compatibility then once those survive you could get something a little more colorful.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses. I am gonna let the plants grow in a bit more because it sounds like that will be the determining factor. I have enough plants to keep the fry safe but perhaps a bit more wouldn't hurt. Also, the tank doesn't have a lid, will the shrimp jump out? I have heard horror stories of shrimp suicide and I have heard that shrimp do perfectly fine in an aquarium without a lid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So based on your perception, how much more should I let this grow in before I attempt adding the shrimp? Are there any specific plants you would suggest for shrimp that can be in this non CO2 tank? Any help or advice is as always much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	%WkH7dCVTaeWZo99C081EA.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	889167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	XCTAt7n2RlagcpB5QBjlig.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	889169  

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:09 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Definitely not enough ground cover for shrimp. Nowhere to hide. You'd want to add moss, additional plants, maybe some sort of cave, areas for them to hide.

Guppies will still pick at adult shrimp, so be prepared for that to occur. Happens on a regular basis but not always.

Shrimp will also do better in cooler temperatures - think high 60s/low 70s. Possible that they'd be okay in your tank but if you have the ability to start a shrimp-only tank, that'd be a bit more ideal. If not, maybe you could get some Amano Shrimp. They're much larger than Cherries and would do really well in a tank like that. While they won't be able to reproduce in freshwater, they live quite a while and are just as entertaining as other shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode