Necrosis? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Necrosis?

Hey everyone,
Just when you think you've got a good think going....
Can we clarify if this is necrosis? Some of my blues started turning a white and while I thought it looked okay, it's been like 4 weeks and none have died (that I've seen). I had a look online and of course its potentially a colony killing disease. So can we tell if this is necrosis?

Means of treatment/moving forward. Getting water parameters as we speak to see if anything has changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ph - 6.6
Kh - 1
Gh- 11
TDs- 245 (crappy meter)
Nitrate- 5
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0

Prepping for a water change now. That gh crept up on me but otherwise everything seems decent.

|
|
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes.

You can try Maracyn 2, Oregano/Oregano Oil...

This is what Chris Lukhaup recommends....

Quote:
During the early stages of the disease you can stop its progress by large water changes, a varied diet, the addition of humins and by feeding brown fallen leaves (preferrably oak or Indian almond/Catappa), dried green walnut leaves or dried fennel leaves.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Yes.

You can try Maracyn 2, Oregano/Oregano Oil...

This is what Chris Lukhaup recommends....
From what Chris Lukhaup recommends, it appears that it may be triggered by a vitamin deficiency?

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Large water changes - in case it's bacterial in the water, large water changes can help to keep the water clean (at the expense of stressing shrimp out)

Varied diet - shrimp, in general, do best on a vegetable or algae based diet, but some protein is good, too. (still not sure what to think about 'his' line of shrimp food...)

Humins/brown leaves/walnut leaves/fennel leaves - for their antibacterial/antifungal properties
Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Large water changes - in case it's bacterial in the water, large water changes can help to keep the water clean (at the expense of stressing shrimp out)

Varied diet - shrimp, in general, do best on a vegetable or algae based diet, but some protein is good, too. (still not sure what to think about 'his' line of shrimp food...)

Humins/brown leaves/walnut leaves/fennel leaves - for their antibacterial/antifungal properties
This reminds me, I need to start adding some leaves again to the shrimp tanks, I haven't done that at all in last month or so.

Thanks, this makes sense.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay. Damn. Water change is happening for sure. Dont have any leaves available to add in. Well, there are oak leaves everywhere but I cannot 100% say there hasn't been any use of pesticides.

I will try and feed them better. Vegetable suggestions? Mine have never been extremely excited about spinach or cucumber or zucchini... what else?

|
|
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
They'll be excited about everything you add if they're hungry. If they're not? They're not hungry.

Organic spinach, kale, zucchini, nettle, dried leaves. Those should be your go-tos. I like to freeze fresh stuff to break down the cell walls before adding it to the tank.

Get some Maracyn-2 for sure. And depending upon how long you've had them, contact the seller to ask why they sold you diseased shrimp. I think this is something that builds up over time and likely was a thing before they arrived at your house.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
They'll be excited about everything you add if they're hungry. If they're not? They're not hungry.

Organic spinach, kale, zucchini, nettle, dried leaves. Those should be your go-tos. I like to freeze fresh stuff to break down the cell walls before adding it to the tank.

Get some Maracyn-2 for sure. And depending upon how long you've had them, contact the seller to ask why they sold you diseased shrimp. I think this is something that builds up over time and likely was a thing before they arrived at your house.
Will do my best to improve feedings.
And thank you both, I'll get the maracyn-2.

Had them for a while, dont know how this was I produced but its here now, no new shrimp all from my original purchase of blues.
Bummer.

Doing water change now. Infection has spread more than previously thought.
Maracyn 2 ordered, arrives tomorrow.
Doing water change now, hope I can save this colony... took me far too long to fail now.

|
|

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-20-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Im so sorry you are going through this. It stinks!

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Im so sorry you are going through this. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_sad.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Sad" >:-)</a> It stinks!
Thanks Amy. You live and you learn I suppose. I will start treatment ASAP and see whether I can beat this back.
Water change done. Boiled some oak leaves that I know haven't been sprayed. Left some organic spinach in there as well. Let's see if I can get things on track!

Treatment started.
Hope things start to look on the up and up, so many berries shrimp in this tank right now, dont want to lose them all.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-21-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Noticed some deaths.

Question.
Anyone who has faced this disease before, what are my chances of survival here? Likely to lose my whole colony or treatment and care decent at curing them?

|
|
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I'd say it's about 50/50 for most people. At least in terms of what I've experienced and what I've seen from others on forums.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sheesh....that's unforunate!!!

|
|
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have no advice, but I just wanted to say that moss is beautiful in your shrimp tank. Wish I could grow moss like that.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode