Shrimp and Airstones - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shrimp and Airstones

It just occurred to me, should I have airstones in my Spec V and Fluvel Flex for shrimp? I dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned that its necessary; but, is it beneficial if not entirely necessary? Or, is it not needed at all?

I have an airstone in my 30 gallon with shrimp and rasboras-- but, the other two shrimp tanks I dont.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have airstones in all my shrimp tanks.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
If there's any sort of surface agitation at all in those tanks, it's not necessary.

I only use airstones where there's not much in terms of surface agitation or if I need to prevent surface film - which is almost never. And then, I keep them on timers so they're not going all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the Spec V surface agitation is fine but the Fluvel flex is not that good. Ill put one in that tank-- thank you.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

All you need is a very slight ripple. Very slight movement at the surface.

There's plenty of flow in the Flex, a few chambers, a decent pump. I don't think it's necessary at all.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Generally speaking, an air stone isn't required, but I have heard of it helping to stop deaths in tanks that didn't have an air stone previously... so they can be beneficial.

I have a sponge filter in my tank which is of course driven with an air pump so I don't have any additional 'stones' in tank to provide air.
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah if u have a sponge filter you can skip the airstones. I'm one of those who has used both. It did help stop deaths, my ambient temp is 30 to 33c, and I use a fan so airstones helps as well.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

In your case, it seems an air stone merely helped increase evaporative cooling, which was likely leading to deaths. 33c is extremely high for shrimp - pretty much deadly.

Air stones, like any form of flow in the tank that breaks the surface, allows for gas exchange. Additionally, it can increase evap and cool the tank a bit. Doesn't actually add anything to the tank itself.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

Nah with my fan, and airstone the tank runs at 27-28c most of the time. This time of the year it can drop to 25 to 26c but it's usually 27 to 28c rest of the year.

No deaths.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

My point was high temperatures with sensitive shrimp lead to deaths.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
My point was high temperatures with sensitive shrimp lead to deaths.
Totally agree with you there

I really like Caridina shrimp but I can't have them unless I have a chiller which will increase the power bill, but mainly because it isn't that safe till my kids are older. They tend to pull everything about the house hehe.

One of them actually pulled the chiller and almost pulled the whole tank down a few years ago. So none for a while more.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieo View Post
I really like Caridina shrimp but I can't have them unless I have a chiller which will increase the power bill, but mainly because it isn't that safe till my kids are older. They tend to pull everything about the house hehe.
I imagine that tigers should be alright. They are pretty hardy as far as Caridina go...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Im going to skip the air-stone with my Flex and Spec V that will just house shrimp. It appears that it really isnt needed from this conversation. Thanks guys!
The temperature has been sitting around 71-72 degrees, which seems to be a good range for the shrimp.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

This sounds like a perfect reason to keep Cardinal Shrimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieo View Post
Totally agree with you there

One of them actually pulled the chiller and almost pulled the whole tank down a few years ago. So none for a while more.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

Never tried keeping Cardinals. Easy?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode