Dead CRS - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dead CRS

Hey all,

I woke up this morning to find 1 of my 4 Crystal Red Shrimp dead. I could only see the head remaining which was being eaten by one of my Darwin Algae Eater shrimp (australian amano, of which i have 3 in the tank). There was also half a molt shell beside it, it seems as if the died either mid or post molt and maybe even attacked by the DAE mid-molt??? Either way this is the second CRS that has died. I have 4 CPDs in the tank, but they don't bother the shrimp.

I have had these shrimp for over a month now. I had 1 die 2 weeks after initially getting them, I remember it looking milky pink with no sign of molt or anything and i figured that since the others were fine that it may have just been an isolated case. I replaced that shrimp a week later. Fast forward to today, this second death is about 4 weeks since the first death.

One thing I have noticed since the first death, was that 3 of the 4 shrimp have become discoloured since I had bought them. These 3 were Grade A shrimp judging from pictures, and their white has become brownish to clear as seen in the pic below. The 4th CRS I have is a SS Grade (got lucky when I bought them) its colors have stayed pretty much perfect since I have gotten it. I remember doing research about this as I thought it may be related to the death of that first shrimp. However I read that it was common for lower grade shrimp to become discoloured over time and this was reinforced by the fact that my SS Grade shrimp's colours remained unchanged. Let me know if this is incorrect or if there is cause for concern regarding this.

I did do my regular 40% water change last night. I tested water parameters and all is normal and unchanged. I used to feed them once a day, however I found that they mostly ignored the food (unless they come across it during grazing) and graze all day. So I put shrimp food in once a week now, even so they dont flock to it or anything.

Tank Parameters:

10 gallon
No CO2
heated (~24 degrees celsius)

Ph: 7.4
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
GH: 50-100 (5')
KH: 0-50 (3')

I only dose Seachem Iron once a week.
I don't use RO water. I use tap water which I treat with a dechlorinator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4090.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	888057  

Last edited by WaldoDude; 10-14-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: n/a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Algae Grower

Isn't the pH a bit high for Caridina? What's the temp, and TDS?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes sorry the ph would be a little a bit higher than the 7.2 I see on their care infos. The temperature is 24 degress celsius and I do not have TDS tester. I will get one asap.

Right now my suspicions are:

1. The PH is too high, although the reason I got them in the first place was because I read that a stable PH is key and that they have been bred in PHs upto 8.
or
2. I'm not using RO water and the changes from my water changes is affecting them, although parameters seem unchanged.

3. The DAE Shrimp are dominating the CRS and maybe attacking them during molt. Although i have seen them molt every other time with no issues.

4. Now that you mentioned TDS, it may be this as it is something I have not checked. Will see what the TDS tester says when I get it.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah do check TDS, in my experience it's a quicker way to see what's going on. Some say just check kH etc. I do TDS first then the rest.

I believe the pH is per below
- Neocaridina: 6.5 - 7.8 pH (but I've kept them in higher before)
- Caridina: 5.6 - 6.2 pH

Do you have a photo of the tank?

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a link to my thread regarding my tank with pictures:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...check-out.html
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:00 AM
Algae Grower

Nice tank setup.

Seems like your TDS might just be over 400 given the dosing of the 2 you mentioned. This happened to me once. Dosed very little flourish, and some No Planaria. Some shrimp died 2 days late quick check revealed the TDS shot up to 450+, . Had to do daily water changes for a bit.

The CPD's still there? They do tend to nip away at everything in my experience.

WaldoDude likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep they are but they are super shy, never seen them nip anything but themselves. I dose only Seachem Iron and do so once every week, do you think that could really have an effect?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Algae Grower

Seachem Iron alone would add about 110 to TDS. Anything you add to the tank will increase TDS. Even tap water has a TDS of its own.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alrighty, once I can test the TDS, ill post the results. Thanks!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Algae Grower

Cool, just double checked. Your kH is higher than normal for Caridina as well. So pH, kH, and probably TDS.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Planted Member

Also:
40% water change too big of a shock
Buy liquid test kit to determine GH and KH
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I am going to reduce my water changes to about 15% each time. The GH and KH I have posted above are from API liquid tests.

As for the KH, based on a few sites I have checked regarding CRS parameters, the range is 0-4 KH for CRS? Some even say upto 7.4 ph is ok. Let me know if this information is incorrect based on your experiences.

This must have been the site i got my initial information:
https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/posts/...al-red-shrimp/

Crystal Red Shrimp ? Detailed Guide: Care, Diet and Breeding - Shrimp and Snail Breeder
https://aquariumtidings.com/red-crystal-shrimp-care/
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most people raise Crystals in low pH, no KH tanks. They generally breed better and look better. I have heard that if you try to transition them to higher parameters that they usually don't breed as well and you'll have many losses until you can get a stable colony going.... and then might end up with shrimp that you can't easily sell to other shrimp enthusiasts as they might not be able to adapt very well back to the parameters that people generally keep them in.

That said, do you know what parameters these shrimp were raised in?

And if you are using the API liquid test kit, we do not need to know the ppm. Saying 5 GH and 3 KH is fine. If you really wanted to convert to ppm then it would be ~89 GH and ~53 KH... but it's better just to use German Degrees of 5 and 3.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Just set pH on the back burner in this instance. kH and gH are what you should focus on - hardness, osmotic pressure. pH really just helps give you an idea of what your kH is and whether your buffering substrate is outta whack. Once you have a liquid test kit for hardness, shrimp folks will be able to give you better advice.

40% water changes aren't inherently bad - especially if parameters are matched or new water is slowly added to the tank. So that's probably not the issue.

24c is a bit too warm for most Caridina varities. Higher temps than they're used to can on occasion introduce bacterial and pathogenic problems they wouldn't otherwise experience or haven't experienced previously. I've only ever had issues with Caridina species when temperatures jump above 22c.

kH 3 is likely too high for them and is probably why you're experiencing issues. It's extremely difficult for adult shrimp to adjust to osmotic pressure extremes compared to juvenile shrimp. That's why it's important to have a good idea about your shrimp's source water, as @Zoidburg suggested.

TDS is just all dissolved solids in your water. Knowing that number won't be of any help at all unless you know specifically what you're adding to your water and how it impacts your parameters - like hardness.

That said, if you're fertilizing a lot, it's best to slowly acclimate shrimp over the course of several weeks or a couple months.

What are you feeding your shrimp? It's possible they're getting more protein than necessary (or more than they're used to) and that can compound molting problems along with hardness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. Ok I don't know what their source water parameters are but I will check when I go in to buy a tds tester.

As for things I'm adding to the tank, I am only dosing Seachem Iron once a week and no ferts.
Food-wise, I feed them either Algae wafers or Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. I feed them once a week as I find that they don't go crazy for the food which might suggest they have plenty to eat around the tank already?

My KH could be why my Ph in the tank has never dropped below the 7.5 it is out of the tap, even though I am using ADA Amazonia soil which should reduce my ph.

Tags
crystal red shrimp, dead shrimp, molting problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode