Southeast Asian pest snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Southeast Asian pest snails

I have a southeast Asian blackwater pool biotope and I'm trying to find tiny snails (such as pond snails) that would be native to that general region. I've been researching and the most I could find were mystery snails, assassin snails, and horned nerite snails, but those are too big. Other than that, I'm finding lists of land snails, but I'm not sure which are amphibious, nor popular in the aquarium trade (and legal to import into the U.S.). Does anyone who has done any southeast Asian biotopes know of any tiny snails that are legal to have and fitting for the biotope?

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

Malaysian trumpet snails?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
Malaysian trumpet snails?
I read that they basically just live in the substrate and aerate it. I don't know if that would be good or bad for my tank; on top of my aquasoil is a layer of thick and thin coconut husk bits, pods, and other leaf litter.

I was hoping to find a native snail that helps clean plants, like mini-ramshorns and bladder snails do.

Edit: After reading up more on MTS, it seems they would be beneficial for substrates like mine, so they sound like a pretty good addition to have! I'm wondering if I could get two kinds of pest snails; one for the substrate (MTS) and one for the plants.

get out of my house

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It turns out MTS is off the table; Amazon won't allow any to be shipped to my state. I'm not sure if it's to do with the weather or if there's a ban on them.

get out of my house
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 AM

What state are you in ?? Pest snails pond,mts etc are often free if you go to any aquatic store..
I however despise mts and would recommend against implementing them to your aquarium.
I did it purposely years ago and have regretted it since.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

We just have one pet store locally and ever since their fish got ich and they cleaned out all their tanks, I haven't seen any pest snails yet (not sure I want to get any anyway if all their tanks had been infected). I never noticed any MTS there before, though, just mini-ramshorns and common bladder snails. I'd just like some little algae-eating or substrate-aerating snails that can go into a southeast Asian blackwater biotope.

get out of my house
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

Melanoides tuberculata the “Malaysian trumpet snail” as said above would be a great introduction if you can get hold of them.

Gyraulus species are small rams-horn snails, somewhat like the common aquarium “pest” snail Planorbis arnoldi, the “dwarf flat-ramshorn snail”. I don't think it is possible to buy these correct species but these are common water snails across S E Asia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyraulus

Bellamya chinensis, the “Chinese mystery snail” is native to Southern China and is eaten as part of the local cuisine. But maybe banned as they have been released into waters in North America where it has become an invasive species. Also these maybe too big for your set up.

Bump: Oops, much too big the last one! Re-reading your question I see you were very specific about wanting small snails!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wasn't able to find any of the snails listed above, and MTS it seems cannot be shipped to my state.

These aren't pest snails but they are also from SE Asia and available to buy (though I'd have to see if they can be shipped to this state or if they are also disallowed):

Tiger Spike Chopstick Snail (Stenomelania Acutospira)
Chopstick Snail (Stenomelania torulosa)

It sounds like I could only get 1 for my 5 gallon, and it's also a substrate sifter.

get out of my house
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
MTS will eat algae on the walls & plants. You'll never see them during the daytime as they hide in the substrate then. But if you turn on the light in the middle of the night, you'll see them all over.

What state do you live in that doesn't allow MTS to be sold there? I'm sure you could find plenty of people willing to give you all you'd want for free. Or just order some plants off ebay or aquabid, and you're likely to get some MTS, pond, and/or bladder snails as hitchhikers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 PM
jzz

My mts are as active in the days as they are at night

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode