Neos + caridina + others? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
That's just part of having a new tank.

Are you dosing ammonia every day to bring it up to a set PPM concentration?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
@somewhatshocked, I had been for roughly three weeks prior to adding the snails. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought snails would survive in an uncycled tank nor would I expect one could go uncycled this long. They're a nerite and a mystery and I had four neos in there for a couple weeks. The mystery went walkabout once; the nerite seems quite happy to stay home; the neos went happily about their business.

Setting up a
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@somewhatshocked, looks like you're right: NO2 readings are approximately 0.5mg/L, up from zero. This is the seventh tank I've started but the first time I've encountered this.

Both snails are at the surface. Time for a 25 % WC.

Setting up a

Last edited by Rainer; 10-21-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: NO2, not NO3

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Rainer just FYI if your talking nerite snails it is not a good indication of water parameters just because they go for the top. They like to get out of the water sometimes and will go to top of tank, just like they will sleep sometimes for hours-days at a time. They will also burrow into the substrate along the glass and hang out.

Just saying do actually test and dont rely on nerites to be an indication.

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Wait. Do you have shrimp in an uncycled tank?

If so, you need to find another tank for them or someone to temporarily keep them while your tank cycles.

Same goes for Nerites. They're not usually capable of withstanding ammonia concentrations like Ramshorn, Pond, Bladder and Malaysian Trumpets are.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Wait. Do you have shrimp in an uncycled tank?

If so, you need to find another tank for them or someone to temporarily keep them while your tank cycles.

Same goes for Nerites. They're not usually capable of withstanding ammonia concentrations like Ramshorn, Pond, Bladder and Malaysian Trumpets are.
I had shrimp in there for three weeks before returning them and the snails have been there for up to six-seven weeks - those are just some of the reasons it's so hard to believe the tank isn't already cycled. I'd dosed ammonia for weeks before adding the snails and I'd had small stems (monte carlo) before thread algae overran them, too.

Is there anything in EI ferts that could result in elevated NO2 readings?

I'll test for ammonia tonight.

Setting up a
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ammonia = zero.
NO2 = essentially zero

I think @DaveKS solved this https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...l#post11267401 here.

Setting up a

Last edited by Rainer; 10-21-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added dave's answer
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

That's basically saying to have patience. With patience, things will clear up.
DaveKS likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That would have required extraordinary patience as I'd decided to wait on adding more snails or shrimp until this was solved. There's no food being currently added to the system, so organic decomp is going to be a very slowly accelerating process. Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ presumably contains Mg, though, so there's going to be a constant supply of that to the bacteria. I'm glad I didn't wait.

No luck finding Super Tigers and the OEBT leads here haven't panned out. I'll try that one last commercial guy tomorrow.

Setting up a

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode