• 2 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW
  • 2 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
State of the OEBT trade

Five years or more ago, just before I left the hobby, OEBTs were becoming popular. Now that I'm back and considering raising a colony, though, it seems like they're pretty rare. Just a quick glance at the first page of google returns shows many stale links and outdated posts. The one domestic commercial breeder I'm acquainted with carries only royal blues, which are almost black to my eyes and lacking in contrast and therefore interest. Trawling through the FS section here a couple months ago turned up nothing in 2019.

Is it my imagination or is the OEBT trade almost dead? If so, why?

FWIW, I'm looking at OEBT as a nice counterpoint to a Bloody Mary colony.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've had my eyes out for them too (don't even need to be orange eyed), and have had no luck finding blue tigers. By all accounts they are supposed to be easy enough to breed, so it makes no sense to me that the few I have managed to run across were imported.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
They are around! I suspect you may have better luck looking in FB Shrimp Groups... if you have FB.

Here's one seller... I've purchased opae ulas and YKK's from this seller before.

Orange Eye Blue Tiger - TheGardenofEder

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Unfortunately (fortunately?), most shrimp hobbyists only stick around for a few years. Ebbs and flows. But they're also slightly more difficult and less forgiving than Cherry Shrimp. So newcomers don't jump to them right away. With blue Neos available on the regular, they just aren't as popular or widely spread as they were 6-7 years ago.

Some import large numbers for cheap and then resell their stock at a huge markup. I see that happening with some frequency. But that stock - regardless of the retailer - is almost never quarantined (despite what some claim) and rarely stable. So the shrimp that get out into the hobby aren't too hardy.

My colony is pretty hardy but they don't breed as prolifically as Bees and Neos.

Your best bet is to have patience. Wait until you see another hobbyist offering them. Usually happens during winter and spring months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
They are around! I suspect you may have better luck looking in FB Shrimp Groups... if you have FB.

Here's one seller... I've purchased opae ulas and YKK's from this seller before.

I think FB's policies prevent any sale of any living creature. At least the aquatic group I frequent say so.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post

Wish he had some better photos. I couldn't guess at the quality of those from the pics provided. But it gives me hope that people out there are selling home breds.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
I think FB's policies prevent any sale of any living creature. At least the aquatic group I frequent say so.
Yes, that is correct, all across Facebook... (thank you PETA... I'm blaming them!)

That said, you can still ask who has them and then speak in private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Wish he had some better photos. I couldn't guess at the quality of those from the pics provided. But it gives me hope that people out there are selling home breds.
Can always ask him personally... he has shared various pictures of his colonies through FB.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Planted Member

Are they blind? If so, I think it would be cruel to purposely raise and breed disabled shrimp.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
Are they blind? If so, I think it would be cruel to purposely raise and breed disabled shrimp.
I think a lot of folks agree with you and that has also affected their popularity to some degree. I've seen it on other forums, the moment a person realizes the goal is selective breeding for blindness and they decide to go another route.

It's the same as breeding for long finned or balloon bodied fish, etc. where we sacrifice function for aesthetic. Not for everybody
Econde likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Blind? Before posting this, I'd quietly suspected some sort of genetic weakness or instability behind the fall in popularity, but this could be the explanation instead. I had been completely unaware of it.

I'm still working out how I feel about it. On one hand, I won't buy glo-fish, which are completely unnatural; on the other, natural selection in certain environments leads to this outcome, although not with such coloration. Blind shrimp wouldn't survive long in the wild outside those environments, but, TBPH, neither would any of these brightly colored shrimp we've bred.

Snail Glades,
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
I thought the blindness thing had been debunked. However, I recall seeing that from a shrimp bro on YouTube, so he has a dog in the fight. Can anyone confirm or refute blindness in OEBTs?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
It's merely a theory that they're blind or poorly/differently sighted. I've yet to see any supporting scientific evidence to back it up.

I've kept them and other orange-eyed shrimp for a long time and tend to believe most see just as well as other shrimp. I say most because they react at about the same rate as any other type of shrimp I keep, are stimulated the same, behave the same in light/dark environments. If they have poorer vision, they're certainly well-adapted to thrive.

There are entire populations of blind invertebrates (and fish) in the wild that have adapted to survive quite well. There are also some brightly-colored shrimp in the wild in both fresh and marine environments.

All that said... I'm not a fan of selectively breeding for much more than basic coloration - red or brown/dark Neos, for example. And hybridization? Not cool. If any of it is leading to deformity, sensory loss, weakened systems? Then that's obviously terrible for the hobby.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:37 PM
snails are your friend

Yeah, I've got those Neo culls currently with -if not orange -very light colored eyes that appear as reactive as their normal brethren. I'm hoping to isolate them and see if they breed true but would never do so if I believed they were deformed in any way.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm the only person I know of in my area with OERT or OEBT besides the lady I trade with but she hasn't really got hers breeding for whatever reason. Most of the people in my local clubs aren't really into this kind of shrimp that I am aware of. I'm pretty much not on social media though maybe if I was on FB or instagram or some nonsense I would be aware of more people but it certainly seems super niche in the local fish / aquatic plant groups. They mostly just have neos or crystal reds or something like that, a few with fancy caridina.

Actually one of my LFS sells some oebt/oert but they are asking like 35$ each while their fancy caridina are like 15. I suppose you could argue that makes the oert their fanciest caridina :/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode