Fish for shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish for shrimp tank

How about some pygmy Corys ?
They only get about an inch.

Anyone know of an online retailer for pygmy Corys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
There are several retailers with Corydoras pygmaeus - just have to search around. 5 or 6 when I searched. Same for Corydoras habrosus, which aren't much larger and tend to be more bottom dwellers.

May also want to check with the shops in your area to see whether they're able to order them for you.

Both would be fine with shrimp. Though, expect them to occasionally eat smaller shrimp if they can fit into their mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A suggestion is the nano, or mini, rasboras - There are at least a half dozen varieties of Boraras - e.e. chili rasboras - brigittae, maculatus, etc. Look them up - They'd make excellent tank-mates for shrimps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dont have any of the dwarfs but I do have about 9 false juliis in my tank with shrimp and the shrimp population is still getting bigger. I have scene just once, one of the fatty jules eat a dead shrimp, pretty sure they do it on occasion because I usually dont take out any dead shrimp and they all disappear after a day or so. It was a medium sized RCS that the julii had a hard time getting it down but she did. Looked funny swimming around with the tail fins hanging out between her whiskers.

In my 40B I have 9 corys, 5 ember tetras, 9-10 CPDs, 3 dwarf rasboras (Boraras brigittae or merah not sure), 3-4 OTOs, 3-4 false amanos, 3 nerites, pretty sure thats it. I started off with about 8 or so RCS and brown emeralds. Ive got about probably 50 give or take right now ranging in size from what I can see about 1/8" to adults so they are breeding and some of the young are making it. Of all the fish the CPDs are probably the most prolific hunters of small critters, IMHO they are the primary shrimp control group in the tank.

Key to having them survive is giving them adequate plant cover or hiding spots. Pretty sure my main baby sitter is the java moss. Its also the same place that the few cory babies have survived in (I started with 6 corys).

Just my experience. All depends on what your plan is.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Planted Member

I went through this search as well. I originally was after chili rasboras but ended up getting CPDs instead. They can eat tiny baby shrimp, but leave the others alone. I added clown killifish too. They are 1.2" or so but their mouths are turned upward to help with surface feeding. They rarely are even in the bottom half of the tank where the shrimp hang out. Finally I added threadfin rainbows. They get a bit larger (2") but have disproportionately small mouths, which puts them in a similar camp with the CPD. I cannot feed Hikari Mirco Pellets without crushing them if that gives a perspective on the size of food these fish eat.

The shrimp and fish leave each other alone, even when the shrimp swim into the school of CPDs or brush up against a clown killi. If you have a well-planted tank I would wager that your colony will grow even with some of these ~1" nano fish.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode