Amano shrimp safe with cherry shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano shrimp safe with cherry shrimp?

I read conflicting info that it is safe to keep Amano with cherry but a few posts witnessed Amano grab and eat baby cherry.

I have a situation that I have a planted gallon jar (pic in my avatar) housing a breeding colony of red cherry shrimp with Spirogyra infestation. I have to physically remove the Spirogyra periodically as the snails and cherry won’t eat it. I have another nearly identical gallon jar with Amano shrimp and there is no Spirogyra, so apparently Amano eat spirogyra. So I want to introduce one Amano to the cherry shrimp jar to help control the Spirogyra. The size of the tank makes a difference, and I am afraid the Amano may harm the cherry in a tiny one gallon jar. Once the Amano is in, there is no return as it is impossible to retrieve it in the dense jungle of plants. Do you think I should worry and not do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Algae Grower

No experience with cherry but... I have seen my (pregnant) Amano girls swimming around with beheaded adult Crystal Red Shrimp... Not sure what the cause of death was but the Amano sure enjoyed eating it I do believe that shrimp eat what is easiest to them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboy112 View Post
No experience with cherry but... I have seen my (pregnant) Amano girls swimming around with beheaded adult Crystal Red Shrimp... Not sure what the cause of death was but the Amano sure enjoyed eating it I do believe that shrimp eat what is easiest to them.
Not sure what you meant by no experience with cherry. Are you saying that you have never observed cherry eating another shrimp.

If you saw an Amano eating an adult cherry, it could be scavenging an already dead shrimp. What I don’t know if Amano will actively hunt down live cherry, and in a small confinement, it will wipe out the cherry colony eventually. I don’t mind if my cherry colony is in a bigger tank, as Cherry multiply so fast and Amano won’t be able to make a dent on the population if it catches a couple baby cherry a week.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It means shrimpboy hasn't kept cherry shrimp before, so can't comment... but they have seen amanos eating crystal shrimp.

Tiger, as far as what I've researched, it's really hit or miss.... there are *plenty* of stories of amanos crawling out of their tanks and going for a walk-about through the house. People usually find them within 20' or less of the tanks, but sometimes they make it further. Sometimes they find them alive but covered in dust, other times they have dried out. I've never personally had that experience. I've also seen amanos hunt fish, there's even a couple of videos with amanos hunting fish/shrimp... but that doesn't mean that *YOUR* amanos will.

You will only know if you try. Since amanos are such pigs when it comes to food, it would probably be easy to get it back out. Also, there's a chance that your amano tank isn't growing the algae that's in the cherry shrimp. Me personally? I'd say go for it!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it's only a gallon I'd stick with the cherries, that's pretty small even for them. Amano are big shrimp - a big female is probably the equivalent of 6-8 adult cherries. They eat more and produce more waste and they'll pick up and run off with food so out compete the cherries. The males are smaller but pretty energetic when they are in the mood and are speedy swimmers. They'd suit a 10g+ really.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode