PTrader: (0/0%)
shrimp id needed

what am I (the clear/white one)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis maybe. Im no expert. They are also called snowball or white pearl shrimp.

Pics look very similar to what you have IMHO.
schooldazed likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Snowball Shrimp. Different species to the cherries in the back and can result in wild type hybrids when bred with the cherries.

They are called "snowball" because their eggs look like little balls of snow!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Super cool!
schooldazed likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Nano Plant Spectrum LED, Top Fin MF10, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks y'all - great to know. This one hitchhiked on an order of red cherry shrimp. It was much much smaller than the cherries but quickly caught up in size. It is as of today berried. Anyone know how long the gestation period is for them? Also, is it possible to cross sibling hybrids and get more pure snowballs. Guessing not since different species but don't really know. Thanks again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Good chance it was fertilized before you got it, so always a chance it will give you baby snowballs. But it looks saddled in the photo, so maybe you do get hybrids. Wouldn't think you could ever get back to a pure line once hybridized. Gestation on cherries and bees is about three weeks, I'd think you could expect eggs to hatch somewhere in that neighborhood.
schooldazed likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Good chance it was fertilized before you got it, so always a chance it will give you baby snowballs. But it looks saddled in the photo, so maybe you do get hybrids. Wouldn't think you could ever get back to a pure line once hybridized. Gestation on cherries and bees is about three weeks, I'd think you could expect eggs to hatch somewhere in that neighborhood.
Thanks for the info BRR. This one originally came with four RCS some weeks ago (two others did not make the journey) and was miniscule which is how I guess it made it into my order. So no real chance of baby snowballs. I asked about the gestation period because this (ten gallon) tank may have to start doubling as my quarantine tank tomorrow. Three weeks should get me close and perhaps my intended quarantine tank will be ready by then. Got the idea from another thread on here to cap some mineralized top soil I made months ago with Safe-T-Sorb. TDS on that tank has been increasing 100-150 ppm daily for about a week now. Wasn't really thinking else it might have dawned on me that tank would take some time to settle.

Any how, another question - what's the opinion on say ten rummy nose tetras playing nice with RCS in a ten gallon tank?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:16 PM
snails are your friend

Your adult shrimp will be fine. Not sure you'll be seeing many (any) babies growing up to adulthood though.
schooldazed likes this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Your adult shrimp will be fine. Not sure you'll be seeing many (any) babies growing up to adulthood though.

Thanks again. I'd call the original four cherries and the snowball adults. Saturday I added seven more RCS and they range from 1/2"-3/4". Thinking/hoping they will be fine, too.

On a side note: at least one of the original RCS is also just now berried. Watched it hang somewhat upside down in some thick giant hairgrass and move her eggs. Am wondering if I might have originally had all females as this has all occurred days after adding the second batch. Are 1/2"-3/4" RCS mature enough to breed?

PS - I'm just down the hill from you in Hickory. Love Asheville and get there whenever I can (usually to eat). I've heard you say you're out of the game but if I can ask, "any decent LFS near you?"
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:52 PM
snails are your friend

Not anymore. I used to have one, and there were two other good ones in town. I was the last one standing and still closed down my fish room to save the store. But if you let me know who you are I've got a few things set up in the back out of sight from customers.

At 3/4" a Neo should definitely be mature breeding size. Might want to let a few babies come up so you have 30 or so before adding the tetras. But that will mean delaying adding fish for several months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode