False amano vs amano size - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
False amano vs amano size

Just curious for those that have been following the various amano vs not amano threads. What is the size difference between the two? Apparently Ive not gotten any true amanos that have survived my various fish keeping adventures however the false amanos I have a couple are very large IMHO.

I would say about 1.5" for the biggins. Maybe a little larger. Whats your all experiences?

Thanks.
Zoidburg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Some people say that they are just as large as the true amanos. From what I've seen, the females get as large, if not a tad larger than the male amanos - just "beefier".

They may be as large as true amano females, but I don't have any females to compare the false amanos with....
Quint likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Figured I would share a pic of this slightly older one. Ive had her? for a while. Ive got a couple with the same pattern if you will. Others have variations with darker areas and/or light stripes down there back. Interesting little critters.

Zoidburg likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice pic!

I have a few of these intermixed with some true Amanos. These definitely run the bottom of my tank. One or two of mine are definitely close to 1.5".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

I have more experience with false amanos than amanos, but my false amanos are larger than my amanos by maybe 30%. My false amanos are approaching 2". I have only had my amanos for about 1 month, so they may not be full grown. Here are a few shots of my false amanos for scale. They are easily double the size of my CRS. They take on a much more spider-like appearance while on the glass when compared to neos and CRS as well. Something about how they spread their legs out more. I actually really like the looks of my one false amano. She is dark brown with a golden stripe down her back. Both of the false amanos change color rapidly. The other one goes from clear to medium brown to puple-ish brown. Mine are aggressive eaters, and took care of my hair algae problem in my 2.5g when I first set it up without any issues. They also seem very hardy. I have kept them in CRS parameters and then moved them to community tank parameters and back again without any acclimation and they seem no worse for the wear.

One freaky thing about them is they seem more adept at being out of water than my neos and CRS. The neos and CRS lay on their side, helpless, while being netted. These false amanos get up on their feet and walk out. When they see the edge, they make a jump for it. Despite falling ~2ft twice onto the table the golden brown one is still doing well. It is pretty creepy watching a shrimp walk on land for some reason.

I have shared this before, but I am not certain mine are non-predatory. I have seen them eating CRS remains that I thought were too fresh, and wondered whether they contributed to the death or were just first on the scene of a failed molt. They eat most algae just like other shrimp and readily accept most commercial fish and shrimp food. They seem to go for more protein than my CRS and neos.

Zoidburg, Pocho and Quint like this.

40g high-tech planted with CRS, CPD, and other nano-fish:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
I have shared this before, but I am not certain mine are non-predatory. I have seen them eating CRS remains that I thought were too fresh, and wondered whether they contributed to the death or were just first on the scene of a failed molt...
I'm wondering the same thing. I have them with real amanos and some yellow neocaridina and one is missing so not sure if they preyed on it. Two inches is really big. Mine also take on that really brown color at times.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I have them with real amanos and some yellow neocaridina and one is missing so not sure if they preyed on it. Two inches is really big. Mine also take on that really brown color at times.

The incident that worried me most was when I saw the golden brown one eating a full-grown adult female CRS like a cob of corn (the entire body). The CRS still had full color (none of the fuzzy pink look), which is what made me wonder how the death occurred. I suspect it was a failed molt since the tank was having issues anyway, but I cannot be sure.
Asteroid likes this.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@ohaple Ive got one or two that are colored like yours. And like I mentioned some that had big racing stripes down there back as well. Another thing I noticed about them is when changing environments (stress, change in water, food supply maybe) they can alter there color/pattern somewhat. I think others have noticed this as well (whoops, @Asteroid just pointed that out). I like the ones you have the most, that mottled brown coloration is pretty cool on the whitish sand I've got in my tank.

I have not scene any predation of other live shrimp and Ive got mine in my community tank with a medium size RCS hive if you will with babies ranging from 1/16" to adult sizes. They are pretty aggressive during feeding time challenging the cory cats and knocking other shrimp out of the way like a bowling ball. They do munch on dead stuff however.

Will be interesting to see how big my big ones get.

@Zoidburg Sorry about starting another false amano thread lol.
Zoidburg and Asteroid like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@ohaple Ive got one or two that are colored like yours. And like I mentioned some that had big racing stripes down there back as well. Another thing I noticed about them is when changing environments (stress, change in water, food supply maybe) they can alter there color/pattern somewhat. I think others have noticed this as well (whoops, @Asteroid just pointed that out). I like the ones you have the most, that mottled brown coloration is pretty cool on the whitish sand I've got in my tank.

Yeah, I actually find the golden brown shrimp to be quite a bit more attractive than my amanos which mostly disappear due to the tan/clear coloration.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well the shrimp experts at Petco still think they're Amanos

Meanwhile I was able to purchase Real Amanos at a good LFS (3 FOR $5)
Zoidburg likes this.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Was in a picture taking mood but everyone was playing hide and seek tonight.

@ohaple This is one of my current favorite Neo's, its either a low grade black diamond that made it from a couple adults I had or its a cross between them and RCS. Really like the color however. Resembles the color pattern of your Not Amanos I thought.

Couple of my other biggins aka not amanos
Stripey

And one from my 10g which has a broken stripe thing going on. She/he was only out long enough to steal some betta pellets and I missed the opportunity to get a decent shot.
Zoidburg and Asteroid like this.

Last edited by Quint; 09-12-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: fixed nomenclature
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The more we can learn about the false amanos, the happier I'll be! Who knows, maybe someone with more knowledge will see and be able to provide more input! So I don't mind!
Asteroid likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Well the shrimp experts at Petco still think they're Amanos
Asteroid likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Planted Member

So do these "false amanos" have an official name? Will they reproduce in freshwater rather than brackish? Sorry if I missed this info somewhere in this and other threads.

Thanks

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
So do these "false amanos" have an official name? Will they reproduce in freshwater rather than brackish? Sorry if I missed this info somewhere in this and other threads.

Thanks
I have heard rumors of some being able to but pretty sure most are like amanos and can not. I did get a berried female once and the eggs looked like amanos (bunch of super small eggs vs the fewer larger ones of NEOs and such). Never saw any offspring from them and with the way everything breeds in my tank Im pretty sure atleast a few would of made it if they could do it in freshwater.

Still this is just me rattling on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode