False amano vs amano size - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine appear to both be female so I cannot confirm whether they will breed in freshwater. I suspect that there are 5-10 species floating around that are sold as amanos. I think mine are two different species. The rostrum look slightly different and the coloration is significantly different. All of my local shops sell amanos for $5+ while these shrimp are quite a bit cheaper. Dollar for dollar, I would probably buy the false amanos. They eat algae, they get large, they are attractive, and they are cheap. It is just poor business practice that the big box stores falsely advertise what they are selling.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The two shrimp experts in the hobby said two different species... and a third person gave another type....

So at this time, I do not believe that there is an official name.... at least not one that people in the hobby are aware about... maybe they do have one?

Plenty of people have had berried females, myself included, but no one has successfully raised them. I *FINALLY* have a saltwater tank set up with algae... (for the life of me, I *CAN'T* grow algae!!!!) and I did have a berried female... never saw any offspring. Might need to get rid of the floating plants... or something... and wait for another berried female to attempt in raising them like amanos.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lets just call them "Taiwan River Shrimp" or TRS ..... only because I saw a picture of a false amano under that search when I got sucked into a internet rabbit hole.
Zoidburg likes this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I *FINALLY* have a saltwater tank set up with algae... (for the life of me, I *CAN'T* grow algae!!!!) and I did have a berried female... never saw any offspring. Might need to get rid of the floating plants... or something... and wait for another berried female to attempt in raising them like amanos.
Since the duckweed (ugh) and frogbit in my tanks have taken off & started growing like mad, I literally have not scrubbed algae from the glass a single time -- it's been MONTHS!

...also, know anyone who wants some duckweed or frogbit? lol

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
Since the duckweed (ugh) and frogbit in my tanks have taken off & started growing like mad, I literally have not scrubbed algae from the glass a single time -- it's been MONTHS!

Haha I have that dwarf water lettuce in both my tanks, every week when I do my water change the 10G is a much darker tank probably clear out 3/4 of the stuff and by next week it will have over taken again.

The shrimps like it though, plus some of the mini rasboras.
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post

I couldn't even grow algae.... even when I didn't have floating plants.... lol

Just java fern, wendelov and moss balls.... maybe even some crypts... couldn't grow algae! Not even with light on 24/7!

I don't have duckweed anymore, but I got plenty of frogbit!
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My biggin molted today, she had a much darker brown color going on. She is the pic I posted on the first page with all the small brownish dots all over (pretty sure its the same one). Took this pic after I got home. She is starting to lighten up now, think she molted just a short while before my arrival. Thats one of my male RCS (F2 probably) thats breeding age just behind her. Big ol thing, curious how big she will get.

Zoidburg likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode