Cleaning lava rock - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaning lava rock

So I picked up some super porous black lava rock for a shrimp tank I知 getting ready to build. It has what looks like mineral buildup all throughout the holes and crevasses. I hosed them off and tried brushing with a nylon brush but it痴 not coming off. Any suggestions for cleaning this kind of rock? I assume if I leave it on, it will slowly dissolve and harden my tank water, which I don稚 want.

I did a vinegar test and it didn稚 react.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
You could soak it in a bucket of water for a week or so to see if it impacts parameters. My guess is that it won't do much of anything.

Just clean it off and scrape away whatever's loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually just put a chunk in bowl of water, rubbed on one of the white spots and swirled the water a bit after I posted this. When I came back a few min later, my TDS had gone from 5 to 13 in the bowl. I'll try soaking some without disturbing it and see if it still has an impact.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

After you let it sit for a while, try testing some other water parameters to see if anything has changed.

Looks like regular old mineral deposits to me. But worth making sure if you have any personal concern.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You could try some CLR and see if that does anything to it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

You could try some HCL from your local hardware store. If you do, handle with care and dilute in water, but it should easily eat away the mineral deposits.

|
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My concern with using chemicals is not being able I get it all out after cleaning. These rocks leak water for days after being taken out of the bucket and I can imagine not getting some acid out.

Anyway, TDS went way up overnight but I知 gonna test all parameters after another rinse and another round of soaking.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by powhound84 View Post
My concern with using chemicals is not being able I get it all out after cleaning. These rocks leak water for days after being taken out of the bucket and I can imagine not getting some acid out.

Anyway, TDS went way up overnight but I知 gonna test all parameters after another rinse and another round of soaking.

There's a whole thread on this. HCL will eat up the dKH in your water and lower your pH, but in small doses, isn't harmful. It's regularly used in swimming pools.

|
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to know, thanks!

I tested the water again this morning and the ph was up to 7.8 after starting at 7.0. I知 leaning toward cutting my losses and looking for something else to use for my hardscape. Bummer.

varanidguy likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by powhound84 View Post
Good to know, thanks!

I tested the water again this morning and the ph was up to 7.8 after starting at 7.0. I知 leaning toward cutting my losses and looking for something else to use for my hardscape. Bummer.

Bummer indeed, that's a beautiful rock.

|
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Before you give up... maybe give it a few days or a week soaking in water. Then do a hard rinsing and brushing. That may be all you need.

It's entirely possible it's just calcium deposits of some sort that's easy to clean up after soaking.

If you have the time to spare, it may be worth it because the rock is so attractive.
powhound84 likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it is calcium, a long soak in pure vinegar should loosen, if not dissolve, the CA deposits.

To those who've used HCL: soaking afterwards in dechlor should neutralize the CL so it's safe to use, no?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Some safe alternatives the HCL are vinegar, citric acid, ilugols iodine. I have used vinegar and citric acid in my my micro fertilizer solution and used the iodine to treat a iodine deficiency without any observable harm to inhabitance of the tank. All will remove calcium magnesium deposits without affective the rest of the rock. HCL is much more aggressive and it can hurt you as well as the tank.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cleaning lava rock

Quick update, after another few days of soaking in fresh RO, ph stabilized around 7.5 and tds was at 62 ppm. Gh is 5-6 and kh is 4-5. I went ahead and put them in white distilled vinegar today to soak for a while. We値l see how it goes!

Update: I soaked them in vinegar for 3 days and the stuff I could get a brush on came off easily. Still seeing some funk down in deeper holes but the rock is much cleaner looking with most of the deposits gone. I rinsed them a few times and soaked in RO overnight. So far, TDS has not risen in the bucket. I値l test all parameters after a few days but I think I might be in the clear!

varanidguy and Cinnamonamon like this.

Last edited by powhound84; 09-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

deeda and varanidguy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode