12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powhound84 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It reminds me of dragon stone but black, I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful stone indeed. Where did you get it?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Will be nice to see how that looks once you get it setup. Good deal on getting it cleaned up for use.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Planted Member

Lovely pieces of rock. Will look good in the scape.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would also get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and poor it in holes and see if it starts bubbling out of holes. There could be a lot of old packed in organics that need dissolved in there.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Beautiful stone indeed. Where did you get it?

Thanks, I bought it at my LFS. Luckily, they sell by the pound and it weighs about half as much as normal lava rock! It was one big chunk but it was way too big for the tank it's going in so I broke it into 4. Might even break it up a bit more depending on how everything fits when I 'scape it. I've never seen anything quite like it so I thought it was a good find. Should really make the colors in the tank pop with coal slag substrate and a black background.

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement. I'm glad I didn't scrap them!
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Last edited by powhound84; 09-13-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Well? How'd it all turn out?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cleaning lava rock

Rock looks like it will be fine. Project is on hold for a while with deer season starting tomorrow. Ill update once I get it all set up sometime after the rut

deeda and varanidguy like this.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by powhound84 View Post
Rock looks like it will be fine. Project is on hold for a while with deer season starting tomorrow. Ill update once I get it all set up sometime after the rut

Deer season. Glad to see another hunter on here.

powhound84 likes this.

|
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Some safe alternatives the HCL are vinegar, citric acid, ilugols iodine. I have used vinegar and citric acid in my my micro fertilizer solution and used the iodine to treat a iodine deficiency without any observable harm to inhabitance of the tank. All will remove calcium magnesium deposits without affective the rest of the rock. HCL is much more aggressive and it can hurt you as well as the tank.

not sure ilugols iodine would be good, or particularly effective as it is a metal compound/ antimicrobial can effect thymus function, metabolism, etc.

cal/mag salts some of which can become insoluble in vinegar and sloooowly dissolvable in water are hard to remove sometimes.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: I put the rock and blasting sand in my spec V a few weeks ago and started with fishless cycle, with plans to fully plant a few days later. Planting was pushed back when some unforeseen stuff came up but I continued on with the cycle, knowing I wont be ready to fully plant for a while.

Since then, I had some issues with careless ammonia dosing, discussed here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...illing-bb.html

On 10/22, after I did 100% water change with Shrimp King GH+/KH+, I put some hornwort, a couple anubias, and a few random stems I had in other tanks into the Spec to help control the nitrates until I'm ready to fully plant. The anubias and hornwort will likely come back out in favor of buces, anubias nana petite, and others. I have some salvinia minima on order that should be here Monday or Tuesday, as well.

After the water change on 10/22, my parameters were as follows:
PH: 7.2
TDS: 155
GH: 7-8
KH: 1-2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate; ~5

I continued to dose ammonia to 2-3ppm daily until 10/30 and tested everything again:
PH: <=6.2
TDS: 185
GH: 7-8
KH: 0-1
Ammonia: ~1 (16 hours after dosing to 3ppm)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 60ish??? (Hard to tell between higher numbers on the test kit)

After I bought the Shrimp King GH+/KH+ I was reading the documentation and thought it was weird that their formula would have such a low KH since it's designed for Neos and they can handle quite a bit higher KH, making PH more stable. I have a feeling the low KH of the water I mixed on 10/22 led to the PH going down but I'm not sure what would account for the KH going down.

I plan on doing another big water change on Saturday and am considering ways to raise the KH in the tank.... or should I just keep using the same salts and plan on getting shrimp that prefer lower PH and KH? I planned on doing Neos but I'm flexible. I could easily get my RO water to GH 5 and KH 0-1 with this salt formula. Thoughts?

Edit: I also just considered that I'm topping off with RO water with a lower PH than my remineralized water. I guess that would slowly lower the PH in the tank. Should I be adding something to my top-off water to raise the PH?

Last edited by powhound84; 10-31-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: fixed typos, added content
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

varanidguy and Desert Pupfish like this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Planted Member

Late to this thread, but here is how I clean my rocks with sediment in them:
Put on my rain gear and face shield.
Use a pressure washer and blast the rock, holding it with either pliers or a thick rubber glove
Then gently boil the rock with the lid on in case they explode
Then I leave it in RO water overnight and check the TDS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode