• 2 Post By Jbubba001
  • 1 Post By Jbubba001
  • 1 Post By Jbubba001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New shrimp tank size

I currently have cherry reds in my 10 gallon quarantine tank.
I need the quarantine tank back, I plan on getting a few rainbow kribs for the main tank.
I looked on Facebook marketplace, and holy cow tanks are cheap.

I was originally thinking about a 20 gallon shrimp tank, but after seeing prices on marketplace I do believe I could afford a much larger tank.

But as far as usable good filters go, have a larger eheim classic, and an older larger eheim pro 2.

So I figured I can get up to about a 75 gallon tank. I have enough room for another water change garbage can for up to about a 75 gallon tank.

The cherry red population in the 10 gallon has done nothing but explode.

There currently are three large berried shrimp in the 10 gallon. Along with possibly 30 more shrimp.

I can't think of a reason why I couldn't go big on a shrimp tank.
But that is why I am posting, as I haven't a clue if there could be a too big shrimp tank.

I was thinking some kind of a sand substrate, compatible with the kuhli loach.

And possibly a large school of a smaller shrimp compatible fish. But fish in the tank are far from a must.

Any thoughts, good idea or a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
There's not a limit on capacity. 20 is fine, 75 is fine, et al. But unless you have hundreds/thousands of shrimp, you may not see them very often. So keep that in mind. I have large tanks with a couple thousand (probably more, honestly) shrimp and sometimes you'd never know they're there.

If you want a large shrimp-only tank, I'd go with something more shallow like a 33gal long or a used, shallow frag tank from the reef side of the hobby.

Should you go with something as large as a 75, it's probably a good idea large pieces of driftwood taking up different segments of the water column so the tank doesn't appear empty.

Anything that can fit in the mouth of a fish (even Otos) can become a snack. Even smaller fish will harass shrimp. For those reasons, I don't keep shrimp in many tanks with fish. It's definitely possible but know that there's going to be predation and you'll need to provide tons upon tons of hiding spaces, large amounts of moss, rocks, wood, all that.

A note about used tanks and shrimp: You need to make sure the tank has never had a copper-containing treatment in it. If that's something you can't guarantee, don't buy it.

If it were me, I'd get a 20gal long from Petco for $20 right now. A couple bags of pool filter sand or whatever cheap, inert substrate you can find - like Quikrete Medium Grade/Multi-Purpose Sand. Lots of moss, crypts, ferns, Anubias, driftwood branches, a cheap LED fixture. Use one of the canister filters you've already got. Get it cycled and it'll be ready for shrimp in 4-6 weeks.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I didn't know about the copper issue.
So anny copper in the tank can't be removed? Will it leach out?

Plantex CSM+ B contains copper .1%
I have not fertilized the shrimp tank yet.

So no CSM+B in there?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbubba001 View Post
I didn't know about the copper issue.
So anny copper in the tank can't be removed? Will it leach out?

Plantex CSM+ B contains copper .1%
I have not fertilized the shrimp tank yet.

So no CSM+B in there?
From everything I have heard the copper will get into the silicone seals and leach out later. Better to not take a chance. Look at the ThriveS plant food from nilocg. It is made for tanks with shrimp specifically.

ThriveS | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

CSM+B is fine. Shrimp-specific fertilizers aren't necessary and are, for the most part, marketing hype designed to prey on fear. Even most copper in food is fine.

Shrimp (and most living things) need some copper in their systems.

It's just highly concentrated copper - like in some medications - that are problematic for inverts like shrimp. There are even products occasionally marketed to kill snails and other critters some consider pests that contain strong concentrations of copper. It's tough to eradicate.

If you do get a used tank? Just clean it thoroughly and test for copper.
Econde and natemcnutty like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So it sounds like a total crap shoot.
Pick up a used tank, and fill it full of water.
Wait for a while, a week or two?
And test for copper.
I think that I am on board.
If it fails a copper test, I guess I will have a tank to stick other things in.

So I must ask, who makes a good coper test?

I think that I am going to go that route.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:08 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Start cheap - go with API. It's always worked for me.

But there are obviously more accurate & easier to read tests out there - for about twice the money. I've used Sera's kit in the past but couldn't justify the extra $ when API worked fine.

(I prefer Sera for other tests, though, and still buy those - like gH/kH/pH/Nitrate)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Holy shoot a 75 gallon shrimp tank?!?! That is my dream in words!!

Bump: Holy shoot a 75 gallon shrimp tank?!?! That is my dream in words!!

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

loool I have a 75 gal dedicated to cherry shrimp only.

The only problem is it is a pain in the ass to cull shrimps

--UN--
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just picked up my shrimp tank, it wound up beeing a 55 gallon.

I just ordered an API copper test, and filled the tank with water, and poured about a quart of Viniger in to start loosening up some crusty stuff, not too bad but I think that I need more Viniger.

How long should I wait to test for copper, a week or two?

I think that I will have to pickup a way big piece of driftwood for the tank.

Also,,,,, I was thinking about adding a school of some sort of small, mellow non shrimp eating fish.

White clouds don't get that big, anny idea on what might work?
Econde and Discusluv like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think white clouds needer colder water than breeding healthy cherry shrimps. I am not an expert though.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

All fish will eat shrimp if they can fit them into their mouth. It's also a possibility that fish will harass shrimp, rip off legs, be general bullies.

That said, it's possible to keep shrimp with fish if you provide enough hiding spaces. In a 55, that will be easy to do. Really easy. Especially if you have driftwood and moss.

Neocaridina shrimp are cool water species and will breed in just about any temperature. So they'll fit well with any cool water species of fish. White Clouds would certainly be an option.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Planted Member

My cherry shrimp colony is very healthy in my 29 gallon. I have over a dozen male guppies, an Oto, a few tetras who are going to live forever apparently, and a bunch of mystery snails...everybody is happy! I also have a cryptocoryne forest, and some nice grass plants, along with lava & other rock, so lots of hiding spots! As for other friendly fish, until recently there was a twig catfish in there as well. I gave away the Molly about the time the cherry shrimp colony exploded, so I might avoid those -- they're a bit more aggressive than tetras (who are scared of their own shadows, ime -- probably because I've never had them in big enough numbers), and guppies, who mostly only eat whatever they see in front of them, as opposed to hunting & chasing. Just my experience -- good luck!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I filled the used 55 gallon tank a week ago, I have just tested my water supply and the water that sat in the tank for a week.
Both showed 0 ppm copper on an API test.

Got lucky!
Econde likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What the 55 is up to lately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/403402...in/dateposted/

Going to wait about a month and then transfer the shrimp in.
Econde likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode