Never kept freshwater shrimp before! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Never kept freshwater shrimp before!

I have a new 75g tank that I don't really know what I'm going to do with other than plant it. Anyway I've never kept freshwater shrimp before but it looks like some are great for algae control plus I think it would be neat to breed them and back when I was into saltwater I loved keeping shrimp. What species would be hardy and easy to breed, and good for a planted tank, and would clown loaches or bumblebee catfish bother them? My pH is 7.5 and KH 60-80ppm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The loaches would destroy just about any shrimp. Shrimp are often the natural prey of fish in the wild so it can be pretty difficult to keep them together. Dwarf shrimp like cherry shrimp or crystal red shrimp will get eaten by anything larger than a guppy. And even the babies will be guppy food. The only way you can breed dwarf shrimp in your tank is with small fish and a lot of hiding places. Many people get amano shrimp as they are bigger and excellent at algae cleaning. However they can become prey too. I have had luck with Rainbowfish and even a German blue ram once the Amano were full grown. However Amano are nearly impossible to breed. They need brackish was to breed and for the eggs to hatch yet live in freshwater so it’s kind of a migration breeding system from what I understand. Making breeding next to impossible.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Never kept freshwater shrimp before!

Ok thanks! I am thinking I may trade in the clown loaches anyway as they are quite large now and not sure they fit in with my plan for the tank, they were just inherited with the tank and not my choice. So Iím thinking go with some amano shrimp for algae control and some red cherry shrimp just for fun and see if I can develop a colony. For fish I really would rather a couple of schools of smaller fish like neons, but I do have my eye on some cobalt blue dwarf gouramis. Will they bother the shrimp?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Set up the shrimp first and allow them to breed for a minimum of 3-6 months before even considering introducing fish.

What's your GH at?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GH is around 60ppm. Is that sufficient? How many shrimp should I introduce? Tank is already cycled. Think order of things will have to be fish out/plants in, shrimp in. Because if I plant first then attempt to catch the loaches, going to be trouble. Should I use pure ammonia to keep my cycle going in between since I won't have any fish in there for a period of time? Oh and should I look at getting some type of snails in to help with cleanup too? If so what kind? I would be ordering snails and shrimp from the same supplier, so all of them would be hitting the tank at one shot which is why I'm concerned about keeping my cycle going. I can get some fish locally, but nothing else.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

At 60 ppm, or approximately 3 GH, you might be okay with some tigers. Otherwise, would recommend bumping it up to 5-7 GH (90-125 ppm) if you want to keep Neos. (or other tigers)

Or you could stick with amanos... should be fine, however, if you have males and females, then the offspring will die in freshwater tank. They are not easy to raise. If you got all females, then no worries about offspring, and the girls are larger, too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode