The Planted Tank Forum banner

9 Gallon Fluvel Flex

27K views 234 replies 23 participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 · (Edited)
Since my 30 gallon tank with Zebra Babaulti shrimp and wild-form neo's are doing so well, I am encouraged to start another shrimp tank. This time, however, with a smaller tank.

I was thinking that I would use a spare 10 gallon have in the garage that is basically like new, but have since considered getting a "kit" - such as types by Fluvel or the like. Ive always had bigger tanks that required separate components, so these types of set-ups are new to me.

What brand "kit"would you recommend for a 10 gallon? Budget- under 100.00.

Also, will need an R/O unit. I looked on Amazon last night- way too many to choose from. Overwhelming. What would you recommend? Budget- under 200.00.

What I do know:
Shrimp for tank:

Golden Caridina shrimp
Substrate:
Amazonia

Recommendations?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Let me try hard not to do vendor reviews...

For RO/DI, there are two retailers I would consider: Air Water Ice and Bulk Reef Supply. I have systems from both and they have good resources and occasional deals. Both provide customer service.

If you want to go cheaper, purewaterclub on fleabay is a source to consider. Just don't expect super-high-end or customer service. It can be frustrating if you aren't familiar with RO/DI systems and aren't keen on DIYing. I have one of these for home use and it's fine for shrimping.

Just search the forum or read up elsewhere a bit to get an understanding of 75/100 gallon per day units so you know what you're getting.

Since you're in Sac, shipping from somewhere like Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF for Amazonia would be fast and cheap. That is, if you don't have access to it locally. Pet Zone in San Diego is also another retailer in your state that has Amazonia and Controsoil.

If you really want to do a kit, you could consider options like the Spec line from Fluval. $75ish - $100ish for the Spec V (5.5ish gal). There's a 16gal version for $150-$160. And they make a 9gal horizontal bowfront called the Flex for about $100. There are other manufacturers, of course, but these are easy to modify for shrimp.

The Spec V is probably what I would go with. The revamped version has lighting decent for plants and the filtration unit looks better than the old one. Only two small modifications necessary for shrimp and they take all of 60 seconds to make.

But since you already have a 10gal, why not use it? All you need is a filter, lighting & a cover if you don't have one. Aquaclear or sponge filter setup would cost about $25-$30 for either. Lighting is cheap if you don't already have it. That's the route I would go. Cheap for the win! The 10gal will also be easier to scape.

I'm planning for a Spec V because I want a cleaner, all-in-one setup for my kitchen counter. Even though I have all the components to put together a nice system today, I'm after aesthetics.

#9 ·
Let me try hard not to do vendor reviews...

For RO/DI, there are two retailers I would consider: Air Water Ice and Bulk Reef Supply. I have systems from both and they have good resources and occasional deals. Both provide customer service.

If you want to go cheaper, purewaterclub on fleabay is a source to consider. Just don't expect super-high-end or customer service. It can be frustrating if you aren't familiar with RO/DI systems and aren't keen on DIYing. I have one of these for home use and it's fine for shrimping.

Just search the forum or read up elsewhere a bit to get an understanding of 75/100 gallon per day units so you know what you're getting.

Since you're in Sac, shipping from somewhere like Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF for Amazonia would be fast and cheap. That is, if you don't have access to it locally. Pet Zone in San Diego is also another retailer in your state that has Amazonia and Controsoil.

If you really want to do a kit, you could consider options like the Spec line from Fluval. $75ish - $100ish for the Spec V (5.5ish gal). There's a 16gal version for $150-$160. And they make a 9gal horizontal bowfront called the Flex for about $100. There are other manufacturers, of course, but these are easy to modify for shrimp.

The Spec V is probably what I would go with. The revamped version has lighting decent for plants and the filtration unit looks better than the old one. Only two small modifications necessary for shrimp and they take all of 60 seconds to make.

But since you already have a 10gal, why not use it? All you need is a filter, lighting & a cover if you don't have one. Aquaclear or sponge filter setup would cost about $25-$30 for either. Lighting is cheap if you don't already have it. That's the route I would go. Cheap for the win! The 10gal will also be easier to scape.

I'm planning for a Spec V because I want a cleaner, all-in-one setup for my kitchen counter. Even though I have all the components to put together a nice system today, I'm after aesthetics.
Thank you for this!

I have seen alot of good things about the Bulk Reef Supply brand. I think that is where I should buy from. I am sure can get cheaper by buying DIY. But, I would rather not. I would rather have customer support to hold my hand if need be. I think the 75 gallon per day should be more than enough; but, will look at my options and read up. have done some reading already. But, slow going to digest when you first start to research something-- at least for me. I think you had recommended a six-stage on an earlier post. Looks like I will need this one in the 75 or 100 GPD.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/6-st...6IQwPFkXiONKUcF5BoAO_sa2POkRaclRoCFCwQAvD_BwE

The Amazonia I'll order from Aqua Forest. I ordered from them a few times before for various things.

I think that, because I am investing more in an R/O unit than budgeted, that I may need to just use my 10 gallon. Like you say, already have most of what I need for it. I think I even have an Emperor Biowheel filter out there I can use and not even need to get a filter. I dont need a heater, right?

So, already have tank, lid, light, air-pump and possibly filter.

Just need: Amazonia, R/O unit, and shrimp! :)

Bump:
Oh my, a new tank?!? There is no cure for you :)
One thing to consider with AIO set-up are shrimps getting into the overflow.
[I will not mention it, but I do have everything for your new adventure, including bags of new AS ...]
Oleg, Im terrible. (Red face)

You must tell me what you have that are willing to part with. But! You must allow me to pay for whatever this is you are referring to!

#5 ·
Oh my, a new tank?!? There is no cure for you :)
One thing to consider with AIO set-up are shrimps getting into the overflow.
[I will not mention it, but I do have everything for your new adventure, including bags of new AS ...]

Reactions: Discusluv
#6 ·
RO Unit - If you have really soft tap water, then the RO Buddy can work fine, however, I have heard that it can cost just as much to replace the filters as it does buying a new unit.... some people though have figured out how to buy bulk filters for cheap.

If you have hard water, or just want a better unit, go with Bulk Reef Supply. They have a great reputation and the replacement cartridges are cheaper. I've heard that The Shrimp Farm can get great deals on the BRS systems.

Amazonia will, on average, take about 6 weeks to cycle. It can help to have established media and be prepared to do a lot of water changes to keep the ammonia down around 3-4. It's from my understanding that it's a good idea to use water with GH in it to help cycle as the bacteria do well with minerals. With Neos, you'd want a minimum of 5 GH, but 6-7 is preferred. So, you may want to consider getting the water (zero KH) ready for when you get it set up and can do water changes as needed until it's cycled. Or, you could choose substrate that doesn't leach ammonia.

#11 ·
Thank you for the recommendation. Ill compare pricing on the BRS unit at this vendor as well.

I will have established media.

My parameters are:

PH: 7.4
KH 3/GH 5

TDS : Average 115. But, can range from 85-125 depending on time of year. This is because comes from 2 different sources.

I had it wrong, not getting neo's, getting caridina shrimp. If you cant get the names right... goes to show you what a "noob" you really are. :grin2:

Bump:
No heater necessary. So you're good to go.

If the filter doesn't work well for you, at least you know it's easy to pick something up for a 10gal.

One thing you'll want to buy is remineralizer for shrimp. My personal preference is Salty Shrimp GH+. It's clean, reliable, usually affordable and it's given me 7+ years of great results. There are a ton of folks who sell it, so just shop around.

That BRS price freaks me out. I'd definitely check out a cheaper system there or with Air Water Ice. Some of the 4 and 5 stage systems would certainly work well for you. There's no way I'd spend more than $150 for the relatively small amount of water you'll be producing.
Eventually will want to use for breeding the discus and Altums. But, even then, I cant see myself needing more than 75 gallons a day. Because my water is already on the soft side- maybe the 4-5 stage would be adequate? I will be getting the Salty Shrimp remineralizer- Ill add to list.

#8 ·
(I think @Discusluv meant Golden Caridina shrimp.)

RO/DI filter replacement costs are relatively low for most systems. $30-$40 for my home setup. Replacement membranes are more expensive than filter kits, of course, but not too terrible. You can get them on fleabay and don't have to go through retailers or folks who mark things up 50-100%.

Based on OP's tap parameters, a filter kit will last quite some time. Maybe a couple years. (Retailers telling you to replace filters every six months are typically just trying to sell refills. Sure, some need to be replaced, but not always. You'll know when they need to be replaced. It all depends upon sediment in the water and how much water one needs to make.

I have an Air Water Ice system under my office sink that I've been running since January 2016. Replacement filters and a new membrane were only purchased a few weeks ago. It looks like my Pure Water Club unit at home will last at least a couple years and I have both harder water and more tanks than OP. My Bulk Reef Supply unit gets replaced about every 12-15 weeks because it's used pretty much non-stop.
@Thelongsnail: Quite welcome.

I've found that most people (thanks to YouTube) gently pull on the power cord to get the pump to come up easily. That's what I do to yank the pumps I use for circulation in my Brute trash cans and it's worked well.

Seems most shrimpers with Specs just add a piece of 30ppm foam behind the intake baffle to keep shrimp out. They also plug a tiny hole near the bottom of the tank with silicone or sponge, as it's not necessary for experienced aquarists.

Amazonia can take several weeks to 'cycle' but I find it's almost always better for shrimp if your tank runs for a month or two before they get added. No need to add an initial ammonia source - a huge plus in my opinion. Controsoil takes less time and gives off less ammonia but it functions in a similar manner and I find it's easier for many newcomers to the hobby. Granted, I've only used it for 3-4 years and have had Amazonia since it hit the market in Asia.

#10 ·
No heater necessary. So you're good to go.

If the filter doesn't work well for you, at least you know it's easy to pick something up for a 10gal.

One thing you'll want to buy is remineralizer for shrimp. My personal preference is Salty Shrimp GH+. It's clean, reliable, usually affordable and it's given me 7+ years of great results. There are a ton of folks who sell it, so just shop around.

That BRS price freaks me out. I'd definitely check out a cheaper system there or with Air Water Ice. Some of the 4 and 5 stage systems would certainly work well for you. There's no way I'd spend more than $150 for the relatively small amount of water you'll be producing.

#17 ·
If I can do the 4 stage- this one looks good @ 75 gpd. I found a coupon for 10.00 off and free shipping.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

Maybe something to consider... it's a nifty little unit that won't break the bank. De-ionization unit "option" as an add-on.

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponic...logic-micro-75-gpd-revese-osmosis-filter.html

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydro-logic-add-on-kit-de-ionization-for-micro-75.html

#22 · (Edited)
R/O system ordered!
Couldn't make my mind up between the value 4-stage or upgrade. Went with upgrade.

Now need to get Rubbermaid storage container and a water level thingy with automatic shutoff.
Possibly a booster pump? (Not sure.)
Submersible pump? Or, air-pump with stone?

Salty Shrimp for re-mineralization.

Is this the right product?:
https://www.amazon.com/SaltyShrimp-...=salty+shrimp&qid=1562634531&s=gateway&sr=8-1

#23 ·
Yes, that's the right Salty Shrimp. But look at other retailers - way cheaper than that Amazon price.

You won't regret the RO upgrade at all.

You won't need a booster unless your water pressure is low.

Have you checked out the various Brute cans for storage? I saw some really nice ones at Home Depot today that are better colors than I'm used to - almost natural looking.

#24 ·
You did? Awesome! Okay, Ill take a look at the Brute cans from Home Depot. Im wondering if I could mount this unit somewhere outside and then could use with outside hose. Or, maybe mount under the sink with some kind of storage container. Ill just have to see.

#27 ·
May have missed something here. What will the RO be used for primarily? All your tanks or strictly the shrimp? I only ask as if you have few uses for the RO water, I see small need for storage. I have a 5,10 and 20 going right now. Takes me 45 mins to fill a 5 gal bucket. So I simply plan in advance. Being shrimp tanks you probably wont be doing large % water changes, so may only need 2gals for a water change.
Not to say storage isn't smart, it is. Just curious.
Personally I also dont have space to store a ton of RO water anyway, so I am a tad envious of the ability. Also I know there are other positives, temp setting etc.
Making good progress mate, keep it up.

#28 ·
I have a 30 gallon shrimp tank which will change 10 gallons weekly and the 10 gallon will be setting up shortly which will be around 2-3 gallons change weekly. 12 gallons on average.

But, the capacity needed will shift over time because would like to start breeding my Altum Angels and discus. This will require about 40 gallons weekly. With fry- 80 gallons weekly.

#29 · (Edited)
My 10 gallon is no longer in garage. The other half must have taken to Goodwill or I dreamt it ever existed.

Im thinking, now, I may go with something smaller. Maybe a 5 gallon kit. I dont know- Im kinda mad right now.

Edit: Okay, not mad anymore. Have a friend that is selling me a 10 gallon rimless w/rounded corners. ( smile). And, 1 9L of AS!

#32 ·
What do you think about this piece of wood for the 10 gallon shrimp tank. I most likely will need to cut back some of the branches on the bottom.

I also have some seiryu stone that I can place at base of wood. Not too many, I wouldn't want to detract from wood. Will this stone be too reactive in a shrimp tank?
I have plenty of plants that I can take from my other 30 gallon that I am going to take everything out of since I now have an R/O system for breeding. Yipee! This will be a breeding tank- bare=-bottom-sterile.

Although, I may order some crypt parva, it looks great in @somewhatshocked 's shrimp tanks.

#34 ·
I think that driftwood looks terrific.

Would avoid seiryu, however, as it will potentially mess with your water parameters. If you're set on using it, you'll want to soak it in a bucket of water for several days to see if it increases hardness. There's a chance it won't alter parameters enough to matter.

Edit: I say it may not matter because I have some seiryu that's never messed with parameters. While one seiryu tank has been messing with hardness for nearly six years and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon.

#35 ·
I dont think I want to mess with the seiryu stone then. Too much of a pain.

I dont want a round stone, but something flatter that I can lie down at base of wood. Maybe dragon stone, ryuoh, or manten? Are these inert?

Bump:
Which positioning of the wood did you like? First or second picture?

#36 ·
The best advice I can give re: stone is to do an acid test. And if there's any doubt, soak them in a bucket of water for a bit.

I personally prefer the second photo. But don't be afraid to try different angles out. Any pieces you remove can possibly be reused within the same setup, so keep them - even if they're small.

#38 · (Edited)
#39 · (Edited)
The husband doesn't want me to buy any used tanks - insists they need to be new in case of leaks. ( Thanks for the generous offer @OVT).

I decided, because this will be primarily a shrimp tank, would try an "all-in one tank" to give it a clean and stream-lined look.

Tank: Fluval Flex Aquarium 9gal
Substrate: Controsoil
Hardscape: Dragon Stone/Dragon stone rubble and driftwood. The driftwood branch will be using is pictured above in previous post.

Shrimp: Goldens (Golden cardina). They are the type that Jake pictures on page 2. It will be a good 6 weeks or so until add shrimp, however. Want time to gain an ample amount of biofilm and such before shrimp added.

Plants: I am emptying out my 30 gallon tank to use as breeding tank ( now that have an R/O unit- yippee!) so will be using plants from this tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.