10 Gallon Shrimp build - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well then this makes much more sense. Fascinated by these little critters now, shrimp in every tank I own now I'd say. Those altums...they are something special though. I shall live vicariously through you!
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What do you think about this piece of wood for the 10 gallon shrimp tank. I most likely will need to cut back some of the branches on the bottom.

I also have some seiryu stone that I can place at base of wood. Not too many, I wouldn't want to detract from wood. Will this stone be too reactive in a shrimp tank?
I have plenty of plants that I can take from my other 30 gallon that I am going to take everything out of since I now have an R/O system for breeding. Yipee! This will be a breeding tank- bare=-bottom-sterile.

Although, I may order some crypt parva, it looks great in @somewhatshocked 's shrimp tanks.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm sure it can be fine for neos/tigers and such especially but I personally wouldn't use seiryu that wasn't sealed in plastidip or epoxy and fancy bees/tibees/taitibees

I love parva though... grows so slow. I don't touch it for months maintenance is the best maintenance :/
Discusluv likes this.

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
I think that driftwood looks terrific.

Would avoid seiryu, however, as it will potentially mess with your water parameters. If you're set on using it, you'll want to soak it in a bucket of water for several days to see if it increases hardness. There's a chance it won't alter parameters enough to matter.

Edit: I say it may not matter because I have some seiryu that's never messed with parameters. While one seiryu tank has been messing with hardness for nearly six years and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I dont think I want to mess with the seiryu stone then. Too much of a pain.

I dont want a round stone, but something flatter that I can lie down at base of wood. Maybe dragon stone, ryuoh, or manten? Are these inert?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I think that driftwood looks terrific.

Would avoid seiryu, however, as it will potentially mess with your water parameters. If you're set on using it, you'll want to soak it in a bucket of water for several days to see if it increases hardness. There's a chance it won't alter parameters enough to matter.

Edit: I say it may not matter because I have some seiryu that's never messed with parameters. While one seiryu tank has been messing with hardness for nearly six years and shows no sign of slowing down any time soon.
Which positioning of the wood did you like? First or second picture?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
The best advice I can give re: stone is to do an acid test. And if there's any doubt, soak them in a bucket of water for a bit.

I personally prefer the second photo. But don't be afraid to try different angles out. Any pieces you remove can possibly be reused within the same setup, so keep them - even if they're small.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The best advice I can give re: stone is to do an acid test. And if there's any doubt, soak them in a bucket of water for a bit.

I personally prefer the second photo. But don't be afraid to try different angles out. Any pieces you remove can possibly be reused within the same setup, so keep them - even if they're small.
Okay, thank you.

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Amazon has a Hagen HG Fluval Flex Aquarium 34L, 9gal for 99.99. Is this a good price?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Gallon...upplies&sr=1-2

Im thinking it would be nice to have an aquarium where everything is "built in". Ive never had one like this before. Its very sleek looking and would be great size for shrimp.

* Edit: Bought it. Will get Friday.

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-16-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more info
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The husband doesn't want me to buy any used tanks - insists they need to be new in case of leaks. ( Thanks for the generous offer @OVT).

I decided, because this will be primarily a shrimp tank, would try an "all-in one tank" to give it a clean and stream-lined look.

Tank: Fluval Flex Aquarium 9gal
Substrate: Controsoil
Hardscape: Dragon Stone/Dragon stone rubble and driftwood. The driftwood branch will be using is pictured above in previous post.

Shrimp: Goldens (Golden cardina). They are the type that Jake pictures on page 2. It will be a good 6 weeks or so until add shrimp, however. Want time to gain an ample amount of biofilm and such before shrimp added.

Plants: I am emptying out my 30 gallon tank to use as breeding tank ( now that have an R/O unit- yippee!) so will be using plants from this tank.
Zoidburg likes this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-16-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: more info
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

That was an amazing price - good shopping.

I love our fluval flex 9g. 20 minutes to turn the tank over each week - itís a joy compared to the larger tank and its canister filters. And looks good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that's the standard msrp... but I could be wrong?
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
You are welcome. The tank I have generously offered is brand new.
Enjoy your new Flex.
Discusluv likes this.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

sorry i cant give advices because im planning my very first shrimp tank , can i see your done shrimp tank ? thanks
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tank just came-- its very nice. Well, all except the light. Doesnt appear to be bright enough to grow anything. May need to get another fixture to replace it with.

I positioned the driftwood how I had imagined placing it.
What do you think- should I adjust it facing the other way to see how that looks as well?
I have substrate (Controsoil) and Dragon stone ( some smaller pieces) coming tomorrow.

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-18-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: pic
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

might as well take a pic with it the other way just to see, it doesn't look like it can fit too many ways...

Edit: I think I prefer the 2nd way personally~
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Wobblebonk; 07-18-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode