24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
4-stage should be fine for that water.

Actually, now that I look at the 4 stage, there is one for 149.00.

Maybe I dont need the extras they include between the two models.

Upgrade includes:
HM Digital Inline Dual TDS Meter
Glycerin Filled Pressure Gauge
Membrane Flush Valve

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
If I can do the 4 stage- this one looks good @ 75 gpd. I found a coupon for 10.00 off and free shipping.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-sta...ef-supply.html

Maybe something to consider... it's a nifty little unit that won't break the bank. De-ionization unit "option" as an add-on.

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponics...is-filter.html

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydro-logic...-micro-75.html
Discusluv likes this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@Discusluv, PM / text me. My Ahs and Ohs were mostly about timing as knowing about your plans before yesterday would have saved one of us a long trip. Hopefully that would give you an excuse to come over?
Discusluv likes this.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation. Ill compare pricing on the BRS unit at this vendor as well.

I will have established media.

My parameters are:

PH: 7.4
KH 3/GH 5

TDS : Average 115. But, can range from 85-125 depending on time of year. This is because comes from 2 different sources.

I had it wrong, not getting neo's, getting caridina shrimp. If you cant get the names right... goes to show you what a "noob" you really are.
You're water is slightly harder than mine. I imagine that a low end/cheap unit may be satisfactory, but do look into replacement options for those membranes and cartridges as well before purchasing! Some people do purchase just the DI resin in bulk and refill the cartridges that way... which may average out to about $5 or so per cartridge... Don't take my word for it, I don't have my own unit as I just get water from the store! LOL When I get into a new place (next year?) I'll probably install one then.

And do you mean YKK's? I do highly recommend them! Actually recommend them over Neos! My first YKK colony did fantastic for the (unfortunately) short period of time I had them! Second group (different supplier) haven't done as well. Still breeding and living, just not nearly as much as the first group.
Discusluv likes this.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
These shrimp are what @Discusluv is referencing - Goldens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
And do you mean YKK's?
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
These shrimp are what @Discusluv is referencing - Goldens:

Yes, these! Love them
Zoidburg likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

R/O system ordered!
Couldn't make my mind up between the value 4-stage or upgrade. Went with upgrade.

Now need to get Rubbermaid storage container and a water level thingy with automatic shutoff.
Possibly a booster pump? (Not sure.)
Submersible pump? Or, air-pump with stone?

Salty Shrimp for re-mineralization.

Is this the right product?:
https://www.amazon.com/SaltyShrimp-S...gateway&sr=8-1
Zoidburg likes this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-09-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: more info
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yes, that's the right Salty Shrimp. But look at other retailers - way cheaper than that Amazon price.

You won't regret the RO upgrade at all.

You won't need a booster unless your water pressure is low.

Have you checked out the various Brute cans for storage? I saw some really nice ones at Home Depot today that are better colors than I'm used to - almost natural looking.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes, that's the right Salty Shrimp. But look at other retailers - way cheaper than that Amazon price.

You won't regret the RO upgrade at all.

You won't need a booster unless your water pressure is low.

Have you checked out the various Brute cans for storage? I saw some really nice ones at Home Depot today that are better colors than I'm used to - almost natural looking.
You did? Awesome! Okay, Ill take a look at the Brute cans from Home Depot. Im wondering if I could mount this unit somewhere outside and then could use with outside hose. Or, maybe mount under the sink with some kind of storage container. Ill just have to see.

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:47 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@Discusluv, could you please link the RO unit you have ordered? Thanks!
Discusluv likes this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@Discusluv, could you please link the RO unit you have ordered? Thanks!
Hi Oleg!

I ordered this unit for 75 GPD:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-sta...ef-supply.html

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
May have missed something here. What will the RO be used for primarily? All your tanks or strictly the shrimp? I only ask as if you have few uses for the RO water, I see small need for storage. I have a 5,10 and 20 going right now. Takes me 45 mins to fill a 5 gal bucket. So I simply plan in advance. Being shrimp tanks you probably wont be doing large % water changes, so may only need 2gals for a water change.
Not to say storage isn't smart, it is. Just curious.
Personally I also dont have space to store a ton of RO water anyway, so I am a tad envious of the ability. Also I know there are other positives, temp setting etc.
Making good progress mate, keep it up.

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
May have missed something here. What will the RO be used for primarily? All your tanks or strictly the shrimp? I only ask as if you have few uses for the RO water, I see small need for storage. I have a 5,10 and 20 going right now. Takes me 45 mins to fill a 5 gal bucket. So I simply plan in advance. Being shrimp tanks you probably wont be doing large % water changes, so may only need 2gals for a water change.
Not to say storage isn't smart, it is. Just curious.
Personally I also dont have space to store a ton of RO water anyway, so I am a tad envious of the ability. Also I know there are other positives, temp setting etc.
Making good progress mate, keep it up.
I have a 30 gallon shrimp tank which will change 10 gallons weekly and the 10 gallon will be setting up shortly which will be around 2-3 gallons change weekly. 12 gallons on average.

But, the capacity needed will shift over time because would like to start breeding my Altum Angels and discus. This will require about 40 gallons weekly. With fry- 80 gallons weekly.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My 10 gallon is no longer in garage. The other half must have taken to Goodwill or I dreamt it ever existed.

Im thinking, now, I may go with something smaller. Maybe a 5 gallon kit. I dont know- Im kinda mad right now.

Edit: Okay, not mad anymore. Have a friend that is selling me a 10 gallon rimless w/rounded corners. ( smile). And, 1 9L of AS!

Last edited by Discusluv; 07-09-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more info
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Sounds like a blessing in disguise, maybe?

Quote:
My 10 gallon is no longer in garage. The other half must have taken to Goodwill or I dreamt it ever existed.

Im thinking, now, I may go with something smaller. Maybe a 5 gallon kit. I dont know- Im kinda mad right now.

Edit: Okay, not mad anymore. Have a friend that is selling me a 10 gallon rimless w/rounded corners. ( smile). And, 1 9L of AS!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode