2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Gourami

sorry for my bad english , im indonesian.

i bought 50 red cherry shrimp (rcs) a week ago . and now its just 20 rcs left .

i have 50 rcs , 5 tiger barbs , 1 dwarf gourami , 20 tetras , and 10 platys .

once i saw my tiger barbs eating my shrimp and i take my tiger barbs out and place them on other tank. but i never see my dwarf gourami harassing my shrimp .

now i want to add another 50 rcs to my tank , should i take my gourami out ? anyone have dwarf gourami and shimps in the same tank ?

thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Most fish will eat a shrimp they can fit in their mouth. Adult cherries should be okay with dwarf gouramis, but they will likely eat any babies produced. Perhaps they didn't all acclimate to your tank? Any that survive past a week or two usually make it, for what it's worth. Wishing them the luck!
IamTracyLee likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Most fish will eat a shrimp they can fit in their mouth. Adult cherries should be okay with dwarf gouramis, but they will likely eat any babies produced. Perhaps they didn't all acclimate to your tank? Any that survive past a week or two usually make it, for what it's worth. Wishing them the luck!
really most of fish ? even tetras and molly too ?

thanks for your answer !

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It would help to know your current water parameters....

pH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
GH
KH
TDS
Temp

And you may want to consider a shrimp only tank so you can at least get a colony established.... if they do well, you could move some into a community tank.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Zoidburg is right. Understanding water parameters is important when keeping shrimp.

There's no 100% shrimp-safe fish. And the fish you have will definitely eat and harass shrimp. But depending upon your tank, once you have a community established, you may have better luck keeping them. They'll need plenty of plants, moss and hiding places.

Could you post a photo of your tank along with your parameters? That will give us a better idea of what you're working with.

And your English is better than that of many native English speakers.
IamTracyLee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If they'll fit in their mouth yes, I would expect mollies and tetras to eat small shrimp.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
It would help to know your current water parameters....

pH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
GH
KH
TDS
Temp

And you may want to consider a shrimp only tank so you can at least get a colony established.... if they do well, you could move some into a community tank.
sorry for late reply

i only know some . pH around7,5 and temp 30 celcius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	345594.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	883587  

Name:	345593.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	883589  

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The shrimp would do best with more plant cover and lower temps. So again, I would have to recommend a shrimp only tank that, once cycled, no heater. If temps rise, then figure out ways to keep the tank cool. The larger the tank, the more stable the parameters will be. They generally do best at temps of 20 C to 23.3 C.

Higher temps could increase the chances of bacterial infections, result in less oxygen in the water, have them growing faster than their body can handle resulting in failed molts...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Planted Member

Gorgeous tank! I would agree with adding more ground cover. Also, even with as little as you have, there may be many more hiding in there - they are master hiders! If you want to get a colony going you will need tons more ground cover, or a dedicated tank for a while, at least. Keep in mind that shrimp are sensitive to changes though -- more so than most fish, in my opinion. You could do everything right and still lose half the shrimp you purchase. Getting a few to reproduce will give you babies that are probably going to be completely happy with your water parameters.

If you don't mind not getting many babies, give them a little more ground cover, maybe lower the temperature a bit, and continue on as you are. It really takes months to see how things are going to work out in these sorts of situations.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
Gorgeous tank! I would agree with adding more ground cover. Also, even with as little as you have, there may be many more hiding in there - they are master hiders! If you want to get a colony going you will need tons more ground cover, or a dedicated tank for a while, at least. Keep in mind that shrimp are sensitive to changes though -- more so than most fish, in my opinion. You could do everything right and still lose half the shrimp you purchase. Getting a few to reproduce will give you babies that are probably going to be completely happy with your water parameters.

If you don't mind not getting many babies, give them a little more ground cover, maybe lower the temperature a bit, and continue on as you are. It really takes months to see how things are going to work out in these sorts of situations.
plants are ground cover or not ? or ground cover is like tube ?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caren555 View Post
plants are ground cover or not ? or ground cover is like tube ?
plants are great, as are tubes, wood, stone, etc. You can set hardscape at angles to create crevices and tunnels. Thick plants are excellent cover, too!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Planted Member

My red tailed dalmation platy ate all my shrimp, and the honey gouramis are very capable of doing so. as are the tiger barbs. Do you Tiger Barbs ever nip at the Honey Gouramis?

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
My red tailed dalmation platy ate all my shrimp, and the honey gouramis are very capable of doing so. as are the tiger barbs. Do you Tiger Barbs ever nip at the Honey Gouramis?
i took my tiger barbs out already , i sat an hour to see my dwarf gourami and he just harass my shrimp but didnt try to eat them
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

I was thinking the same thing about his English!! It's darn near perfect.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. It’s good to remove the barbs, they are lil hunters for sure. Dwarf gouramis will hunt too, but much slower. I have an adult male chocolate gourami in with a large cherry colony I started from 20 in a 20 long. Now there are well over 100 in less than one year. He gets some freshly hatched I’m sure here and there, but his mouth is small. Plus I have pencilfish and Cory’s constantly breeding in there, so they all get fresh eggs to hunt.

It’s all about balance and the behavioral traits of each fish down to an individual level or personality. In example, I have two paradise gouramis in different tanks. One is a brutal killer, he kills and eats everything, I mean everything. The other is docile and only likes to eat floating pellets, doesn’t even mess with small Amanos.

I would suggest more plant coverage overall. A clump of moss or subwassertang will help. Floating plants are very important in a shrimp tank, IMO. Find some type of Salvinia, it has very fluffy fine roots. Your shrimp will love it for hiding and grazing. It also does wonders for water quality. I highly suggest. Almond leaves and botanicals improve water qualities and add hiding and grazing spots too.

Two pictures attached. One is of the Salvinia oblongifolia root system. And the other is after I removed three handfuls of salvinia and fed. Salvinia grows mats fast and will block light, see the light starved ammania gracilis after only a couple weeks. Plus be careful when removing as the shrimp will not readily leave the roots. You have to comb fingers thru to scare them out. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5D375CA6-8FD5-48CF-98D5-F298847306A0_1562342525511.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	883793  

Name:	752E2E66-B5FB-45C2-A3C6-CFE0F98022D4_1562342546257.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	883795  

Tags
shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode