sick mystery snail? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sick mystery snail?

I've been keeping mystery snails in my tanks for the last year and they've done well. About 3 months ago I setup another 75 gallon tank. It has been stable for the last 2 months, with carpet plants starting to spread, and i've been adding a few critters a week, and am up to dozen dwarf shrimp staying healthy and active, a dozen healthy frolicking young panda corys, and 5 mystery snails that until several days ago were all doing well. The mystery snails were some of the first inhabitants of the tank.

However, recently I noticed one mystery snail hadn't moved for a few days. I picked him up and moved him a bit, and the next day he had crawled back to the same spot a few inches from I put him back in the tank. He's been in that spot for several days with his foot kind of extended oddly and on his side. I've picked him up each day to see if he is still alive. He seems to be, but I am just concerned perhaps it is ill?

All my tank values are good and stable, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrates below 5ppm. ph is about 6.86. I do partial water changes once a week. Running an FX filter and UV filter during "daylight" hours for the tank, and automatic co2. I add crab cusine for them as a calcium supplement. I vacuum the bottom weekly, trim plants, etc. The tank water is clear, and the substrate is clean. No rotting plants, or other signs of issues.

Here's photos of how it has sprawled out. I've never seen this behavior in any of the mystery snails before now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	snail1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	883481

Click image for larger version

Name:	snail2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	883483

Last edited by shanmoon; 06-29-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
What are your water hardness parameters (GH and KH) in the new tank? Those are going to be more important than just understanding pH in this instance.

Are the parameters of the old tank the same?

What do you mean by vacuuming the substrate? Why are you doing that? Since you're keeping a planted tank, this probably isn't a good idea. Unless you mean you're just pulling up large detritus.

Looks like the foot could be a bit swollen or irritated but it doesn't look like the mantle has collapsed. What kind of fertilizer are you using and how much of it are you using? How are you measuring the ferts you add to the tank?

Are there any other chemicals that have been added to the tank? I'm guessing no, as you have sensitive shrimp in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

dKh is 7, GH is aroun 120. There are fluval rootabs under the sand placed at the time the tank was setup, but I've used them in my other tanks that also have mystery snails without an issue. No liquid chemicals added, other than some API+ stress guard the last time I moved fish from another tank about 2 weeks ago. The "vacuuming" is just to remove any left over food. I've been experimenting with some additional types of bottom wafers to vary up the cory diet (some they like, and some like tetra cory wafers they dont eat at all). The water quality seems good, with the Panda Corys and dwarf shrimp starting to spawn and drop eggs this week. I should also mention I have a couple of the same mineral stones I keep in my other tanks in this one as well to provide calcium etc for the shrimps and snails. The water in this tank is nearly identical to my other two tanks, that are not having any issues.... only difference is the substrate. The other two had fluval planted tank subastrate for an inch on bottom and them fine black sand on top. This one just have super fine white sand. The plant life in this tank is alittle more varied than the other tanks.

Last edited by shanmoon; 06-30-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Do you mean your KH is 7 and your GH is 120? Or are you measuring PPM? How are you measuring - with test strips or a liquid test kit?

Again, what do you mean by vacuuming the substrate? Are you disturbing the substrate or just gently removing detritus from the surface? Since you say this is the only difference, it'd be helpful to know exactly what you're doing. If you're stirring up the substrate quite a bit? Stop doing that and only pick up what you see on the surface of the area that's visible.

There's conflicting information from Seachem regarding StressGuard about whether or not it contains Glutaraldehyde as a preservative. Regardless, there's really no reason for you to use it in your case. As long as you're treating your water with Prime (if you're using tap) when doing water changes, you'll be fine.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

dKH 7 and GH/KH 120 ppm tested with an API test kit. "Vacuuming" is really more just picking up any big pieces of left over wafer, not stirring up the sand at all, just hold a vacuum above it pull up left over undissolved wafers to prevent nitrates from decaying food. I'm on well water, so no need to decholorinate. I've given up on supplementing with different types of cory food, and am sticking with wardleys and hikaru wafers. Most of the food goes into shrimp feeder dishes but ocassionally the corys stir it up and it drifts around making a bit of a mess, hence the ocassional "vacuuming".

Snail behavior is more or less the same. A few times I've walked in and his foot is totally retracted into the shell. but it is back out again in a similar pose this evening. Not dead yet but definitely almost no activity, paricularly compared to the other 4 mystery snails who zip around all over the place.

Last edited by shanmoon; 07-01-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typos....i really should type slower.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Okay. That means your kH is 0.39 and your gH is 6.7. This means your water is pretty soft, which isn't great for Mystery Snails. Great parameters for soft water shrimp, though.

Are you measuring with a liquid test kit or test strips? This is important.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Okay. That means your kH is 0.39 and your gH is 6.7. This means your water is pretty soft, which isn't great for Mystery Snails. Great parameters for soft water shrimp, though.

Are you measuring with a liquid test kit or test strips? This is important.
Yeah, I've been a little concerned about the water being a bit on the soft side. I've been hoping the mineral stones and crab cuisine would help with that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Are you measuring with a liquid test kit or test strips?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode