RCS Dying off In Planted Tank, Unable to Find Cause - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Your substrate is almost certainly acid buffering from the photo. And you have a lot of it.

But by the way, much respect for going all out setting up your first planted tank! Most people use playground sand or gravel, stock lights (or Glo fish LEDS), and stuff out of a kit where pretty much everything but the glass box needs replaced in for what they are wanting to achieve when starting out. Kudos, my man. Give that tank a little time to mature and you're going to have something really nice for many years.
Thank you, I jumped in feet first that's for sure. I'm excited to see what it looks like in a few years.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Would highly recommend switching to a shrimp remineralizer. If you don't mind parameter swings, then get a remineralizer that is GH and KH. Eventually, the soil will stop buffering but it may take a while. You want to keep the GH up around 7.

I have 3 GH/KH out of tap. Plenty of people say they do fine in tap. Well, they died in mine. People said that once they have offspring, the offspring will adjust better than the adults. Yeah... they died faster than the adults did! I use remineralized RO water now-a-days.
Shrimp_Daddy likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update on the tank: Everything is dandy, and babies are EVERYWHERE! The large amount of buffering substrate sucks the GH out of the water like you would not believe, so every week I add salty shrimp to keep the GH up.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Tags
planted tank, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode