Female CRS keep dying - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Female CRS keep dying

Recently my CRS keep dying. 1 or 2 die every other days, mostly females and berried ones. I tested my water and everything seems normal. My tank is more than a year and it is well established. My shrimps were doing very well until the recent death. The shell becomes transparent on the female belly part. I am not sure if this is some kind of shrimp disease.

My water parameter:
GH: 4
KH: 0
PH: 6.5
Nitrate: 5
TDS: 170
Temp: 74F
15%-20% water change very 2 weeks
Use R/O water and re-mineralized with Salty Shrimp GH+

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	883263
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a similar issue with my Neos, only the females would die, and more often than not, they were berried. After my post on here a solution was found, I was fighting my soil with water changes by adding kh. Deaths ceased immediately. I cannot say anything with certainty, having only just begun my venture into shrimp keeping with my passed two tanks. However, I keep my CRS at gh 6.
Are you noticing molting issues as well? Chief concern being that they wont be able to molt and leading to deaths. At the very least, couldn't hurt to slowly bump the gh up by a point or two (gradually obviously).
Don't do anything on my say so though, let's wait for @Zoidburg or another pro to put in some expert advice. This doesnt present as any disease I know of just yet.

Good luck!
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A GH of 4 should be fine. Many keep caridina shrimp closer to 4 than 6 (myself included) but what would concern me is why TDS is so high when using SS GH+? My TDS was between 100-110 to reach a GH of 4 in RO water when I was using that remineralizer. Not that your TDS reading is all that high but I would guess you have more than a GH of 4 unless you have a ton of organic matter in water column or you are dosing high levels of ferts (going by your nitrates, it doesn't seem likely).
Zoidburg likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
TDS is a bit of a concern. How are you topping off when there's evaporation? Are you using plain RO/DI water?

Water temperature is also a slight bit of a concern. While 74 is typically fine, that's the warmest mine ever get. They're usually 68-70.

I'd ideally like that GH to be bumped up a bit.

How long has the tank been running?

What are you using for filtration?

Do you use any sort of fertilization?

How long have you had your shrimp (plural)?

What kind of substrate are you using?

What do you feed? How much? How frequently?

Are there any other tank inhabitants?

Switch to 10% water changes weekly instead of 15-20% twice per month. That way you're swapping smaller amounts of water and doing it more regularly.
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is the little 5G tank I have. I does 0.5ml Seachem Flourish and 0.5ml Seachem Potassium weekly to keep the plants grow. TDS is about 170 from day 1. My CRS were breed like crazy until recently I trimmed off the moss carpet. But I wonder why only the adult female shrimps keep dying, not the shrimplets. I see a lot of shrimplets around which is more vulnerable if the water is not right. My feeding is small amount of zucchini, spinach, Shirakura Soft Taste, Barley Straw Pellet, Shirakura Baby Shrimp Food. Feed 1-2 day apart. The tank is more than a year, started with 10 shrimp. It used to be over 70 CRS in this tank. The death causes I can think of:

1. Trimming the plants and disturb the floor causes some nitrate spike.
2. There are a lot of barley straw debris on the floor as well as shrimp waste causing problem
3. I never clean or squeeze the hydro sponge filter since day 1.
4. Some kind of shrimp disease that I am not sure which. Can't see any from naked eye

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	883271
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Start squeezing out the sponge in old tank water when you do water changes. Not doing so is potentially problematic. Not cleaning it means you're not filtering what needs to be filtered from the tank.

It's possible you stirred something up when trimming plants but I doubt it, unless you stirred up a bunch of substrate. And even then... unlikely that it's an issue because your substrate isn't that deep.

Possible there's some kind of pathogen impacting your shrimp but, really, I doubt it.

Why are you dosing ferts? It doesn't look like you have plants that need it. I'd stop.

When the adult shrimp die... what do they look like? Are there splits in the carapace? It's possible they're having issues related to molting.

Feed less. Still feed every 2-3 days but only feed what your shrimp can consume in 20min time. Remove leftovers. Do that for a few weeks and see if you notice any improvement.
Discusluv and Wobblebonk like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Picture below is the current one that I trimmed off a lot of moss. The picture above was taken last 7 months ago. There are a lot of algae on the glass for shrimps to eat.

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	883273

Last edited by mheat; 06-25-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typing error
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Name:	IMG_3593.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	883275

This is one of them die couple days ago. I don't think it is molting issue.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:27 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah TDS for caridina should be 100 to 110 or so if possible.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Jamo33 I'm far from a pro, but thanks!

When I was using SS GH/KH and going for 8 GH, 4 KH, I was right about 150-ish TDS, no more than 160. Maybe just different TDS meters reading differently? Hopefully it's just that.... regardless, the high TDS doesn't sound like anything new.

You didn't mention what the substrate is, but based on old posts, is it safe to assume it's ADA?

Regardless, you say the tank is over a year old... and you still have low pH. You may just need to switch out the substrate for new stuff, or add new substrate in. If you get more ADA, you'll need another tank to cycle it in, or a bucket, until it stops releasing ammonia. If you get something that doesn't release ammonia then you might be able to just do a substrate swap or simply add some into the tank.

If it's not old substrate, then not if nothing else has changed.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Different TDS meters do have different conversion factors they use, because technically it's different depending on which solid how many mg == how much conductivity so they kinda just guess at a value to use. Also affected by temp and only some TDS meters automatically compensate for that. So when I remineralize my water I acutally use microsiemens with a meter that adjusts for temperature... (this is why the instructions on SS list a microseimen value to shoot for not a TDS reading)
Zoidburg likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I've got a ton of TDS meters from different sources. Some expensive, some cheap garbage from fleabay. Have never had them be too far off. A 70-80 difference is a lot. So I'm doubting it's the TDS meter.

I'm betting the TDS will drop once there's proper filtration and everything else is in balance. TDS of 170 is only of slight concern to me.

Also doubt it's the substrate. Just about everything on the market is going to last for several years. I've had some going since 2011/2012 that still buffer a bit. And if the substrate was stirred up and particulate matter got into the water column, it'd eventually settle. From the photos, it looks good and the tank only has the usual sediment that develops near the front/sides of the tank. Though, I've found that doesn't happen when using proper filtration.

OP needs to start with the basics. Filter the tank. Clean it/gently squeeze it out every week when doing water changes. Since they're not doing weekly care and are losing shrimp, it's time to switch to weekly. Also time to switch to weekly water changes instead of bi-weekly. At least until things settle down.

Stop fertilizing, as it doesn't appear necessary for the tank. Ferts, along with lighting, are causing the minor algae issue that exists anyway. Algae isn't an issue with shrimp, typically, but it appears it's more than they can handle. Just makes sense to avoid the issue entirely.

Keep an eye on temperature, as some pathogens develop as water gets into the mid-to-high 70s.

Space feedings out a bit more and offer more vegetable matter and less protein.

But really... not squeezing that filter out - as small as it is - could be problematic. Even in a shrimp tank.

As shrimp keepers, we tend to overthink things and often go to extremes that just aren't necessary. Stepping back and considering the basics can often solve most of our issues. A lot has changed in the 25 or so years I've kept shrimp but not that much.

OP: If you're just using a sponge filter - what are the two intake pipes in the back of the tank? How are they used/what purpose do they serve? I get the sense that there's more going on with the tank than you're sharing. So what's up? Let us know even if it seems trivial. It may be something we can help you figure out if we know more.
Discusluv and Wobblebonk like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

cleaning out a filter makes sense if it contains junk they shrimp won't want to eat anyway. But the people who advocate for mattenburg filters (one big sponge) like to never clean them out. Why is that?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Those filters have a bazillion times more surface area and are designed so that flow is impacted on a far lesser scale.

There are a few great threads about them here on the forum from probably a decade ago. Interesting to read through and probably worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
cleaning out a filter makes sense if it contains junk they shrimp won't want to eat anyway. But the people who advocate for mattenburg filters (one big sponge) like to never clean them out. Why is that?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the 2 most common conversion factors are .5 and .7, should rarely be off by much more than 20%. But yeah 170 tds isn't that bad really.

Actually the 442 scale is supposed to be designed for freshwater, not the nacl .5 conversion factor... 442= 442 Natural Waterô (EC-to-TDS EC x 0.7) (The "442" is an abbreviation for 40% sodium sulfate, 40% sodium bicarbonate and 20% sodium chloride.) but afaik the 442 meters start at around $50 and most are significantly more. I think almost all the cheap chinese ones are using .5. I've got one meter that does 442 but it actually has a button to switch from .5/nacl .55/kcl and .7/442 modes, I never report the numbers besides .5 here because it would just be confusing.

I would still say somewhatshocked's suggestions to switch to weekly maintenance/squeezing out the sponge filter, stopping ferts, feeding less, && monitoring temp are probably your best bet. A lot of my caridina don't like it if the temp gets to high 70s, though a couple can take mid 80s... mostly sulawesi stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode