Shrimping Struggles - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
@madcrafted Yes, I do use Kens veggie sticks! Still have them! I was contemplating getting bloodworm sticks or something else from them as well, but I do have a lot of shrimp food... lol I usually stick to the veggie sticks and then vary the other stuff... when I think about it!

@Blue Ridge Reef - I can easily understand the frustration that madcrafted has with keeping Neos in tap water. Same problem! Offspring don't survive to adult-hood in order to adapt...

The main starting colony came from a local hobbyist who, I kid you not, knows squat about actually keeping shrimp! Let alone fish... and yet had a thriving colony with high nitrates, some ammonia and too small of water changes using straight tap. If any top offs were done, they were done with tap water. Their tap was/is quite similar to my own, but the tank parameters quite a bit different! Still have some of these floating around... they are the main Neo colony, but I certainly don't have hundreds/thousands of them. Did add some pet store purchased shrimp to this group from time to time.

I've had some more from someone who was living near the source of my water (about an hour away...) and *probably* used remineralized RO water. They have a lot of fancier shrimp. I don't know if any of these are still alive, or their offspring at this point...

I've also gotten imported shrimp that were thriving at the sellers home for I don't know how many weeks/months before I picked them up. Have a few offspring from this group... think all the adults kicked the bucket, otherwise. I don't recommend imports, but hey, wanted to take a chance! Nothing else seemed to work... still in the same boat. Oh well.

@Wobblebonk - I'll do you one better! Tampa Aquaculture Inc sells 100 "wild cherries" for something like $35-$50??? Not that I'm interested in just regular ol' plain cherries though... or a mix mash of em...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I've taken the "not feeding" approach.... didn't work well in tank with very few shrimp... hence the "special" diet... lol
What bad thing happened?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Zoidburg I thought about getting those bloodworm sticks as well from Ken's but like you, I have plenty of shrimp brand protein foods. Most are from free samples I got when purchasing shrimp/supplies. I feed protein so rarely, that I've managed to make them last awhile. I did purchase some SL More meat at one point and I think that bag is 95% full still, a year later.

I also have a huge patch of stinging nettles and 3 mulberry trees in my yard that I pluck from, so I feed these quite often along with the veggie sticks. I find leaves are better for large colonies that are always hungry. I've seen a pile of juveniles consume a nettle leaf, stem and all, in less than 8 hours. I've fed young dandelion leaves and the yellow flowers earlier this Spring and they seemed to enjoy those as well. I just toss them in a cup of hot tap water and heat for 3 minutes in microwave. They become tender and sink readily. I also steamed a huge batch and froze for later use. Best to do this in Spring before everything goes to fruit/seed as the leaves become less nutritious.

I haven't imported any neocaridina shrimp but have heard numerous reports of parasites coming along with them, hence the need for salt dips and whatnot. Then there's the dreaded green fungus, which I'm not sure if there ever was a proven cure for. Very risky purchasing these neos from importers and I agree that it's best to stick with a homebred shrimp if the breeder has a thriving colony that they can show you or if they have a good track record with the community.

As for CRS/TB and caridina sp. types, I've had great success with imported ones, I'd even go as far as to say 95% of the ones I purchased were imported. This is mainly due to the limited availability of particular bloodlines here in the US. These shrimp have been thriving and breeding very well for me. I've only lost a very few of them and those were mostly PRLs as I mentioned earlier. I don't feel like importing these types of shrimp is nearly as risky as importing neos but if you can find a home breeder that has what you're looking for then this would be ideal.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
@Wobblebonk - I'll do you one better! Tampa Aquaculture Inc sells 100 "wild cherries" for something like $35-$50??? Not that I'm interested in just regular ol' plain cherries though... or a mix mash of em...
So I was curious and I tried to find them... not that I ever buy 100 shrimp at a time, as I figure if they like the water 10 will turn into 100 pretty quickly, but I'm not sure tampa aquaculture is currently in business. Website is dead as dicks and one of the 2 posts on facebook this year are that someone ordered fish with no contact from them in over a month and they basically haven't made a facebook post in a year, couldn't find any listings of theirs on ebay either.

I think Frank Cowherd's neos are of good quality (the 15 for 20+, but I also don't buy regular neos much at all) and potentially raised from the same local water though I don't think he's on my same water supply. But if I can find them, I always try to get them from locals, which winds up being the same lady all the time that I trade with because it's like me and her who collect all kinds of crazy shrimp in the local clubs :/ and it's cheaper for us to trade with each other.

Hah actually my primary food is also ken's veggie sticks but I've got a ton of stuff I will randomly use instead. I actually do have the bloodworm sticks also but I mostly haven't fed them to my shrimp at all, I feed those to carnivorous plecos and such. Heh I might try them as a random shrimp alternate... will let you know if my tank dies heh.

Last edited by Wobblebonk; 06-26-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: KEN?!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
What bad thing happened?
Please see the link in Post #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
@Zoidburg I thought about getting those bloodworm sticks as well from Ken's but like you, I have plenty of shrimp brand protein foods. Most are from free samples I got when purchasing shrimp/supplies. I feed protein so rarely, that I've managed to make them last awhile. I did purchase some SL More meat at one point and I think that bag is 95% full still, a year later.

I also have a huge patch of stinging nettles and 3 mulberry trees in my yard that I pluck from, so I feed these quite often along with the veggie sticks. I find leaves are better for large colonies that are always hungry. I've seen a pile of juveniles consume a nettle leaf, stem and all, in less than 8 hours. I've fed young dandelion leaves and the yellow flowers earlier this Spring and they seemed to enjoy those as well. I just toss them in a cup of hot tap water and heat for 3 minutes in microwave. They become tender and sink readily. I also steamed a huge batch and froze for later use. Best to do this in Spring before everything goes to fruit/seed as the leaves become less nutritious.

I haven't imported any neocaridina shrimp but have heard numerous reports of parasites coming along with them, hence the need for salt dips and whatnot. Then there's the dreaded green fungus, which I'm not sure if there ever was a proven cure for. Very risky purchasing these neos from importers and I agree that it's best to stick with a homebred shrimp if the breeder has a thriving colony that they can show you or if they have a good track record with the community.

As for CRS/TB and caridina sp. types, I've had great success with imported ones, I'd even go as far as to say 95% of the ones I purchased were imported. This is mainly due to the limited availability of particular bloodlines here in the US. These shrimp have been thriving and breeding very well for me. I've only lost a very few of them and those were mostly PRLs as I mentioned earlier. I don't feel like importing these types of shrimp is nearly as risky as importing neos but if you can find a home breeder that has what you're looking for then this would be ideal.
I've got several samples, but I don't think I have any SL-Aqua food beyond the Aqualex Enzyme Powder, which I purchased with the soil. Barely used any of it. I haven't fed stinging nettle at all, but I also haven't come across it, or if I have, I didn't realize it. I do know a great place to go search for it though!

There are very few sellers that I would even consider purchasing imported Neos from. I've met this seller before and have purchased from him before as well, but the first shrimp were YKK's that were home-bred. (and the result of that colony being the link to the other thread in the first post...)

It doesn't seem to matter where I get Neos from, I still struggle with them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
So I was curious and I tried to find them... not that I ever buy 100 shrimp at a time, as I figure if they like the water 10 will turn into 100 pretty quickly, but I'm not sure tampa aquaculture is currently in business. Website is dead as dicks and one of the 2 posts on facebook this year are that someone ordered fish with no contact from them in over a month and they basically haven't made a facebook post in a year, couldn't find any listings of theirs on ebay either.

I think Frank Cowherd's neos are of good quality (the 15 for 20+, but I also don't buy regular neos much at all) and potentially raised from the same local water though I don't think he's on my same water supply. But if I can find them, I always try to get them from locals, which winds up being the same lady all the time that I trade with because it's like me and her who collect all kinds of crazy shrimp in the local clubs :/ and it's cheaper for us to trade with each other.

Hah actually my primary food is also ken's veggie sticks but I've got a ton of stuff I will randomly use instead. I actually do have the bloodworm sticks also but I mostly haven't fed them to my shrimp at all, I feed those to carnivorous plecos and such. Heh I might try them as a random shrimp alternate... will let you know if my tank dies heh.

I wonder what's up with Tampa Aquaculture... I've seen several people purchase from them before.

I only know of two shrimpers in the area, the gal who doesn't know what she's doing and another person who is actually a member of this forum, although I haven't seen him around much. I know there are others, but I don't know how many of them are smart enough to fix their parameters in order to keep shrimp correctly.... I would be shocked if anyone locally had the type of shrimp I'm actually interested in keeping!

As for the bloodworm sticks... that was another reason for considering them... I do have a pleco! The pleco gets what the shrimp get...
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

Ummm this might sound like blasphemy to you guys, but I feed my cherry shrimp: banana, zucchini, spinach, eggplant, baked sweet potato skin, tomatoes....you name it hahaha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode