"Freshwater" Bumble Bee Nerite--7 years old and counting! - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Koi Kameon
  • 1 Post By Koi Kameon
  • 2 Post By brothermichigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
"Freshwater" Bumble Bee Nerite--7 years old and counting!

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to post something about freshwater/really brackish water nerite snails.

I see it all the time on the Google where the live expectancy is 1-2 years if people keep them in truly fresh water. And that it is several years more if they are kept in their natural state of brackish water.

I realize the term "freshwater" is for anything that is not marine water, but many people assume that it means they can be happily kept in true freshwater. In fact, when I first started keeping them, the fact that living in true freshwater significantly lowered their life expectancy was hardly ever mentioned back then. But now it is.

I am here on my soapbox to ask that you only keep them in brackish water, because lifespan is a good indicator of overall health and happiness.

As of this month, I have had a bumble bee nerite for at least 7 years, perhaps 8 as I had about a half dozen that I purchased over the course of a year. She (it is a she and still lays sterile eggs if moved into a new tank) has lived in brackish water from 1.005 spg to now 1.011 spg. I also had two other bumble bee nerites for just under 5 years that lived in the same space as she did. The others lived 2-4 years.

I know that they mow down algae like no other snail and don't breed in freshwater (because they aren't happy enough!), but please reconsider buying nerites the next time you are in the market for getting some more snails for your freshwater tank.
aaron.in likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to post something about freshwater/really brackish water nerite snails.

I see it all the time on the Google where the live expectancy is 1-2 years if people keep them in truly fresh water. And that it is several years more if they are kept in their natural state of brackish water.

I realize the term "freshwater" is for anything that is not marine water, but many people assume that it means they can be happily kept in true freshwater. In fact, when I first started keeping them, the fact that living in true freshwater significantly lowered their life expectancy was hardly ever mentioned back then. But now it is.

I am here on my soapbox to ask that you only keep them in brackish water, because lifespan is a good indicator of overall health and happiness.

As of this month, I have had a bumble bee nerite for at least 7 years, perhaps 8 as I had about a half dozen that I purchased over the course of a year. She (it is a she and still lays sterile eggs if moved into a new tank) has lived in brackish water from 1.005 spg to now 1.011 spg. I also had two other bumble bee nerites for just under 5 years that lived in the same space as she did. The others lived 2-4 years.

I know that they mow down algae like no other snail and don't breed in freshwater (because they aren't happy enough!), but please reconsider buying nerites the next time you are in the market for getting some more snails for your freshwater tank.
Hi, that makes sense and great info there. Is there an alternative snail for the freshwater planted tanks to replace nerites?

Gok
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If you have a tank of 5 gallons or more then a mystery snail per 5 gallons is an option. Just make sure you have enough algae or supplement with an algae disk.

I think rams horn snails are better at getting rid of algae than pond snails. The problem with either is that many hobbyists wind up with a ton of them because they breed so well. I haven't had that problem since I only use one of each in my pico bowls. An individual snail can lay fertile eggs, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

So, the above is why many people like nerites, which are not true freshwater snails.

I just wish that (along with red claw crabs) people would realize the trade-off is years off the nerite snails' lives.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

So how long can nerite live in freshwater? I also read that someone can get a few babies out of nerite in freshwater by providing plankton first food.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
So how long can nerite live in freshwater? I also read that someone can get a few babies out of nerite in freshwater by providing plankton first food.
That's not at all true... Never heard of nerites breeding in freshwater...

Gok

Quote:
If you have a tank of 5 gallons or more then a mystery snail per 5 gallons is an option. Just make sure you have enough algae or supplement with an algae disk.

I think rams horn snails are better at getting rid of algae than pond snails. The problem with either is that many hobbyists wind up with a ton of them because they breed so well. I haven't had that problem since I only use one of each in my pico bowls. An individual snail can lay fertile eggs, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

So, the above is why many people like nerites, which are not true freshwater snails.

I just wish that (along with red claw crabs) people would realize the trade-off is years off the nerite snails' lives.
Nerites are not only used for algae control, but for their beautiful shells too...

If algae is the issue, other snails can do.

But if someone wants to have nerites for their beauty, what freshwater alternative we have?

Gok

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-25-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Blue mystery snails are beautiful IMO.

Bump: No, that is not true. They only lay eggs in brackish water. When the eggs hatch, it can look like a snowstorm in the tank. But they then need marine strength water to get beyond that.
aaron.in likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.in View Post
Hi, that makes sense and great info there. Is there an alternative snail for the freshwater planted tanks to replace nerites?
I think ramshorn snails and mystery snails are alright but the only critters that I feel do anywhere near as good a job as nerites are ancistrus plecos for glass. And amano shrimp do a good job on everything besides tank walls. Otocinclus might also fit into this category but I've never had otos myself.

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
No, that is not true. They only lay eggs in brackish water.
They may only hatch in brackish water, but I've got a tank full of little sesame seeds that says differently about laying!
Zoidburg and aaron.in like this.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermichigan View Post
They may only hatch in brackish water, but I've got a tank full of little sesame seeds that says differently about laying!
They would lay eggs in freshwater like in 100s.... But those eggs won't hatch...

Gok

Tags
nerite snail lifespan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode