1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShamFish97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bug ID?

Hey all,
I found this bug in my tank this morning. What is it? Should I be concerned? I know i should probably get mesh lids.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamFish97 View Post
Hey all,
I found this bug in my tank this morning. What is it? Should I be concerned? I know i should probably get mesh lids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMlm8sEtnM
Hi, I really couldn't see the bug you are talking about... But if it is aquatic and could live under water, probably a mesh lid is not going to help here and may be it came with the plants?

Sorry, I am not of any help here, just curious to know what bug is in your tank and how it got there in the first place...

Gok
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.in View Post
Hi, I really couldn't see the bug you are talking about... But if it is aquatic and could live under water, probably a mesh lid is not going to help here and may be it came with the plants?

Sorry, I am not of any help here, just curious to know what bug is in your tank and how it got there in the first place...

Gok
It was hard to get video, and I didn't want to kill him so I was cautious. I placed him in the hex tank for now. He looked like a stem, almost like a few very thin leaves wrapped around is what his "shell" looked like. His legs came out of the front where it looks biggest, and he was pulling himself forward with his legs in my 55g before I netted him into the cup.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
It was hard to get video, and I didn't want to kill him so I was cautious. I placed him in the hex tank for now. He looked like a stem, almost like a few very thin leaves wrapped around is what his "shell" looked like. His legs came out of the front where it looks biggest, and he was pulling himself forward with his legs in my 55g before I netted him into the cup.
Wow, that sounds creepy and nightmarish...

Sounds very alien to me...

Gok

Is that green thing that looks like hornwort in the video is the bug?

BTW, your tank looks gorgeous... What's the substrate?

Gok

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-23-2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Potentially midge fly larvae. Otherwise, considering size, I want to say caddisfly larvae/nymph.

Caddisfly larvae are, IMO, rather fascinating insects since they use what's available to them within their environment to build a little "makeshift home" which also acts as a shield that may help to protect them from predators by blending into their surroundings. I'm not aware that they are harmful but I honestly don't know much about them beyond that!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.in View Post
Wow, that sounds creepy and nightmarish...

Sounds very alien to me...

Gok

Is that green thing that looks like hornwort in the video is the bug?

BTW, your tank looks gorgeous... What's the substrate?

Gok
I am using Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Here's a video I made.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-iAa7sOrF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Potentially midge fly larvae. Otherwise, considering size, I want to say caddisfly larvae/nymph.

Caddisfly larvae are, IMO, rather fascinating insects since they use what's available to them within their environment to build a little "makeshift home" which also acts as a shield that may help to protect them from predators by blending into their surroundings. I'm not aware that they are harmful but I honestly don't know much about them beyond that!
I'm thinking caddisfly as well. I was noticing fry dying off in my 55 at random ages, and all had minor parts of their corpses missing. After moving my hornwort and shaking it about, I think he was hiding in the hornwort and eating any fry that got too close. Fascinating, but leave my fry alone
Zoidburg likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am using Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Here's a video I made.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-iAa7sOrF50

I'm thinking caddisfly as well. I was noticing fry dying off in my 55 at random ages, and all had minor parts of their corpses missing. After moving my hornwort and shaking it about, I think he was hiding in the hornwort and eating any fry that got too close. Fascinating, but leave my fry alone
Tried to watch the video, but the link didn't work...

Gok

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode