Wild Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wild Shrimp?

Im considering changing over a 30 gallon tank to a shrimp tank.

Curious- are there any wild-type shrimp? If so what are my choices?
Its okay if they are not colorful. More interested in behaviors.

I also was curious if I could do this without using R/O. My water parameters are:
Ph- 7.4
KH 3
GH 5
TDS 85-115
Tank established 3 years.

Substrate: Caribsea Sunset Gold
Planted- Low-tech- anubias, java fern, cryts, lily

Thinking of adding as well:

15-20 Boraras brigittae
12- corydoras hastatus or habrosus
2- otocinclus cocama

How many shrimp should I order with above stock in mind? What vendors do you suggest?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you want neos, they should do fine in tap. I've kept one colony for over ten years now and have only ever used tap (on any of my neo colonies). I also happen to have lots of wild type neos I need to cull that are being thrown from my blue line. They are very, very wild type. Not sure what kind of numbers I could come up with but probably at least 30 if not 50.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
If you want neos, they should do fine in tap. I've kept one colony for over ten years now and have only ever used tap (on any of my neo colonies). I also happen to have lots of wild type neos I need to cull that are being thrown from my blue line. They are very, very wild type. Not sure what kind of numbers I could come up with but probably at least 30 if not 50.
Thanks @Blue Ridge Reef

How many shrimp could I put along with the fish that I am also putting in tank?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They really create such a tiny bio-load that it's hard to estimate. And add to that, if they are happy in your water, there are about to be a whole lot more of them! The rasboras are going to eat some fry, so that should keep it from getting too out of hand. Only thing I'd suggest is letting the tank run for a while to develop bio film and algae for them.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its well established- 3 years.
My other 30 gallon has more algae in it though- hmm. Its been up for about a year.
Thank you, Ill read up more about shrimp before making a move.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This shrimp is amazing: WOW!
https://aquaticarts.com/products/gol...12454123274326

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's feasible my caradina babies are bigger than my neo babies, but actually my boraras brigittae can't fit my pinto babies into their mouths at all as far as I'm able to tell... or at least 25 or so of them sure don't seem to put a dent in my baby pintos at all.
Those params are probably okay for tangerine tigers, or regular tigers also, and they wouldn't interbreed with neos. This one lady near me keeps some kinda brown sulawesi shrimp with her discus as they can take warm water better than most shrimp.
Discusluv likes this.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure which have smaller fry upon hatching. I keep both, but the neos are in such larger numbers I think it's just more likely that I'll see tiny scud-sized babies on the glass with the neos. But upon hatching, they are itty bitty. Like maybe double the size of baby brine sized -to the naked eye anyway. Female shrimp hold (from what I've read, never counted) 25 to 50 eggs under those little bodies. Surely can't be more than a mm or so when they come out of the egg. As for your Boraras, I would expect them to relish those the first few days, I know I've seen similarly sized chilis peck at them, but can't really tell if they successfully eat them, since I'm over 40 and things up close don't appear as they once did.
Discusluv likes this.

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well brigittae are chilis. I try to look at this tank every day and the smallest I've ever seen the babies is about 2.5mm long already there must be a time when they're smaller but it's real short... it might have something to do with the main female I have right now being huge, like 4x the size of a chili and most of my rcs are nowhere near that size.

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
Well brigittae are chilis.
Insert Homer Simpson Doh! emoji. Own them, know their Latin name, just spaced when reading. But yeah, I doubt the window to be predated on by something so tiny would be long.

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
30gal is perfect for a ton of shrimp.

Check the Neos people like Rachel/Msjinkzd keep. Or if you can find some wild-type (Brown-ish) from a fellow hobbyist here on the forum. And if you can't find those, you could start with some nice Cherries and go from there. While it's fun to focus on bright colors and all that, I think you'll really enjoy just keeping shrimp and letting them do their thing.

If it were me? I'd start with a colony of various size/age. Maybe 20-30. You could easily add waaaay more. But it's more fun to start with a reasonable number and let them establish themselves. It'll happen relatively quickly. Would probably have tons upon tons of them within a year.

I'd avoid fish if it were me - of any size. That's just my personal preference, as I'm primarily a shrimp keeper. Always try to urge people to avoid it even though I do it myself on a limited basis. All of my fish eat shrimp - Otos, all of my Corys, Boraras brigittae (they're big hunters, too, and will harass shrimp 2-3 times their size).
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
30gal is perfect for a ton of shrimp.

Check the Neos people like Rachel/Msjinkzd keep. Or if you can find some wild-type (Brown-ish) from a fellow hobbyist here on the forum. And if you can't find those, you could start with some nice Cherries and go from there. While it's fun to focus on bright colors and all that, I think you'll really enjoy just keeping shrimp and letting them do their thing.

If it were me? I'd start with a colony of various size/age. Maybe 20-30. You could easily add waaaay more. But it's more fun to start with a reasonable number and let them establish themselves. It'll happen relatively quickly. Would probably have tons upon tons of them within a year.

I'd avoid fish if it were me - of any size. That's just my personal preference, as I'm primarily a shrimp keeper. Always try to urge people to avoid it even though I do it myself on a limited basis. All of my fish eat shrimp - Otos, all of my Corys, Boraras brigittae (they're big hunters, too, and will harass shrimp 2-3 times their size).
I had forgotten about that recommendation of Msjinkzd. Thank you for reminding me.

I am looking at the various types of shrimp. I know I dont want a color such as red, orange, blue- but patterning: spotting, striping, etc... would be interesting. The one from Aquatic Arts really caught my eye. Its very unusual.

I certainly dont have to keep fish with the shrimp. Being primarily a fish person it kinda goes against the grain, lol; but, you are right, the behaviors are what I am intrigued by. In a tank without the stress of predators, maybe I will get a more natural and productive (breeding) display.

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Wild Shrimp?

@richie.p maybe you can be of assistance!

YaBoiHunt
Discusluv likes this.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
I've purchased a bunch of wild-types and brown/splotchy Neos from members of the forum through the years. Your best bet is to post a Want To Buy thread (before you're ready to receive them) so you can spend some time finding the perfect critters.

My main 'brown' (just kinda lumping them all together) colony of shrimp has been going strong since the late 90s. Aside from wild bee shrimp (which you couldn't really keep without RO/DI water), they're probably my favorite. I'm prone to keeping wild-types, though, so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm not a fan of hybridization and breeding for coloration isn't something I enjoy too much. With one exception - have been breeding low-grade Crystals for about a decade with a focus on getting as much red coloration as possible. Because it's not really something we see much in the hobby.

I suggested Rachel because she may have some good leads on more wild-type Neos, as I'm not certain she has any for sale.

Think you'll have the best luck if you source from a hobbyist instead of someone who focuses on selling shrimp. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, I suggest getting some low-grade culls of various Neos. It won't take long for them to revert to wild-type and you'll have a tank full of what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I had forgotten about that recommendation of Msjinkzd. Thank you for reminding me.

I am looking at the various types of shrimp. I know I dont want a color such as red, orange, blue- but patterning: spotting, striping, etc... would be interesting. The one from Aquatic Arts really caught my eye. Its very unusual.

I certainly dont have to keep fish with the shrimp. Being primarily a fish person it kinda goes against the grain, lol; but, you are right, the behaviors are what I am intrigued by. In a tank without the stress of predators, maybe I will get a more natural and productive (breeding) display.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I've purchased a bunch of wild-types and brown/splotchy Neos from members of the forum through the years. Your best bet is to post a Want To Buy thread (before you're ready to receive them) so you can spend some time finding the perfect critters.

My main 'brown' (just kinda lumping them all together) colony of shrimp has been going strong since the late 90s. Aside from wild bee shrimp (which you couldn't really keep without RO/DI water), they're probably my favorite. I'm prone to keeping wild-types, though, so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'm not a fan of hybridization and breeding for coloration isn't something I enjoy too much. With one exception - have been breeding low-grade Crystals for about a decade with a focus on getting as much red coloration as possible. Because it's not really something we see much in the hobby.

I suggested Rachel because she may have some good leads on more wild-type Neos, as I'm not certain she has any for sale.

Think you'll have the best luck if you source from a hobbyist instead of someone who focuses on selling shrimp. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, I suggest getting some low-grade culls of various Neos. It won't take long for them to revert to wild-type and you'll have a tank full of what you want.
Yes, I agree, I dont care for hybridization in fish, all my fish are wilds ( with the exception of my discus, which I will be buying all wilds in the future). I was slower to buy wild discus because of their sensitivity; but, after trying a pair of F1 Alenquer discus, I realized that these were more robust then my Asian and German hybrids.

So, it follows, when considering shrimp, that is what I am drawn to as well.

I will do as you suggest, put up a "Want to buy" ad. But, the problem is that I wouldn't know what was good stock from what was not so good.
I suppose I can just decide by looking at their patterns and choosing one that appeals to me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode