Lost a colony of Caridina today - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Lost a colony of Caridina today

My 10 gallon Dennerle shrimp tank has been chugging along with the dozen mischling shrimp I bought from a member here (Ch3fBoyardee) for 3 months. I finally grew them up and had several berried and thought this thing was taking off. Well, it was certainly until today. All parameters are perfect (that I can measure) and I checked my RO mix that I changed out with before using it. My only thoughts are that I had mowed grass earlier. But I washed the heck out of my hands since I had handled a gas tank, and this was the last of 4 tanks I water changed (had my hands in) and have no losses in those. 2 shrimp are still hanging on, but not behaving normally and I'm pretty sure they will die by morning too. You can see one by the right corner all full of eggs and lethargic. I'm doing another water change and adding carbon and Purigen now, but suspect it's too late. Must be the 20th time I've had this happen, but I'm crestfallen that I have failed this great hardy group I had going. Dang, dang, dang! Just venting, it does open up other ideas with this tank I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	882847  

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Also add Prime.
Check ur RO water for ammonia.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ammonia not showing in tank or RO water with a cheap API kit. Did two 95% water changes, one last night and another this morning. I think there are three survivors, maybe four. I'm 50/50 on any making it as they aren't moving much. For good measure I water changed the heck out of the other tanks I'd serviced yesterday, though their inhabitants seem okay (even daphnia and scuds). Trying to think of steps that might have contributed to this, but having done yard work is all I can really think of. Too strange.

In other bad aquatic news, something seems to be eating long finned white clouds out of my pond. I put at least 30 in there and they'd boil the water surface when I fed. Now I'm seeing about 4-5 fish when I feed. I have a resident bullfrog, but I wouldn't have thought he could catch them. Several newts too, but they aren't much bigger than a white cloud. Going to fish through it later and see if there might be a baby watersnake or something. What a weekend! I am starting a fun project that should take my mind off it though that will be its own thread.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

Thats a bummer. Were the other tanks shrimps also or is there something else that is maybe hardier in those tanks?

As far as your pond I would be more suspect of the bullfrog. Those things will eat anything and are pretty darn quick under water. Maybe its time for a rehoming. Oh and they are night time hunters as well when your fish are trying to get a nap in. Makes sense they would be more vulnerable at night to a predator like that.

What kind of newts are that small? Out west here the newts and salamanders are all decent sized.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Algae Grower

I don't suppose your lawn had any pesticides on it?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

How old is the tank?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Thats a bummer. Were the other tanks shrimps also or is there something else that is maybe hardier in those tanks?

As far as your pond I would be more suspect of the bullfrog. Those things will eat anything and are pretty darn quick under water. Maybe its time for a rehoming. Oh and they are night time hunters as well when your fish are trying to get a nap in. Makes sense they would be more vulnerable at night to a predator like that.

What kind of newts are that small? Out west here the newts and salamanders are all decent sized.
There are shrimp in all of my tanks, but much hardier Neocaridina.

Yeah, I am beginning to suspect the bullfrog needs to be netted out and driven to the local stream. If he's the culprit, he's sure done a quick job! But no reason to have a predator by the pond with such small fish.

As for the newts, they're the easterns that are bright orange when on land and brownish as aquatic adults. Wasn't accurate to call them withe cloud sized, certainly weigh more than 3 white clouds, but small mouthed slow swimmers. I would be sad to have to remove those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
I don't suppose your lawn had any pesticides on it?
No, I grow vegetables and have the pond so never use weed killers or pesticides. The closest neighbor is 50 yards away, but I suppose it possible something came from her property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieo View Post
How old is the tank?
Right on 4.5 months according to my set up post.

As of this morning, the survivors are still alive. Still not swimming through the water column or being active as they used to be. At least one lightly berried female remains so maybe there's hope. I think I'll let the tank run for several weeks before considering adding more. Also, I tested the tank with a few cherries after setting it up and missed two when I went to remove them. Of course they are doing just fine. Whatever I did was toxic enough to wipe out CRS but not cherries.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry missed that. Yeah the Cherries are way hardier in my experience. I stopped keeping Crystal's for the time being because of that.

I actually jumped on the Thai Micro Crab bandwagon, put them with the Fire Red, and Yellows in the same tank. Living dangerously as well, I dropped 1 Mexican Dwarf Cray in. So far they all get along.

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
There are shrimp in all of my tanks, but much hardier Neocaridina.

Yeah, I am beginning to suspect the bullfrog needs to be netted out and driven to the local stream. If he's the culprit, he's sure done a quick job! But no reason to have a predator by the pond with such small fish.

As for the newts, they're the easterns that are bright orange when on land and brownish as aquatic adults. Wasn't accurate to call them withe cloud sized, certainly weigh more than 3 white clouds, but small mouthed slow swimmers. I would be sad to have to remove those.

Thte newts should be fine IMHO. Maybe if a fish was dying or just died and they could get ahold of it but in that case they are doing ya a favor. If you have a local stream I would definitely get that guy netted up.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrieo View Post
Sorry missed that. Yeah the Cherries are way hardier in my experience. I stopped keeping Crystal's for the time being because of that.
Oh, I had to look through my old posts to see exactly when it was. But yeah, cherries are near bulletproof for me and I've lost every CRS in a tank at least 3 times now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
The newts should be fine IMHO. Maybe if a fish was dying or just died and they could get ahold of it but in that case they are doing ya a favor. If you have a local stream I would definitely get that guy netted up.
I'm a fan of the newts and hoped I could keep them. The frogs I can take or leave, but bullfrogs are are kind of annoying even if not eating the fish. I'm trying to plant some marginals around the edge and he just sits on them most of the time. I need to find him one cool morning and drop a net over him. In the heat of the day he usually plops in before you can even get within netting reach.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

Oh another thing. What is the tank temp at? Didn't see that.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No heater, I've recorded it to top around 73.3 during the day and as low as 69.0 in the evening using an IRL thermometer. RO water is stored by the tank as to be close in temperature. Definitely wasn't significantly off, I poured it into my hand to break up the flow. That line of thinking makes total sense though. I just know at one point in the day I'd moved a cooler by my weed whacker with a light green substance on it. I wiped it with my hand and it smelled of gasoline. I finished my yard work, washed up and didn't think more of it until I saw dead shrimp.

Surviving shrimp are still alive. Though still hiding/sluggish. Bladder and MTS are fine. Not seeing any hoppers (daphnia/scuds). And this tank was full of 'em, since no fish.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Blue Ridge Reef
Im so sorry. My tank temps are the same in my lower tanks- so I wouldnt point that as a culprit. However I recently had a issue with my city water where the ground released an insane amount of ammonia, etc when it was raining constantly for a few weeks. My phosphates, ammonia, and even nitrites spiked from the spicket and in my daphia buckets (outside). I talked to the city water about it and confirmed- strange. Could that possibly be?

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use only remineralized RO/DI on that tank. And someone suggested I check the RO water just in case and it registered no NH4, NO2, NO3 or KH. I've got to suspect outside poisoning at this point. To my surprise, remaining shrimp are still alive today. Bet if I could have done the "post water change" water changes sooner, I might have saved more. Of course, these could still die in the following days, the tank sure hasn't seemed busy since all of this. But this morning there was a molt and no bodies, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Not sure it's very pertinent info, but after the fatal water change, I noticed the sponge filter bubbles were collecting rather than popping quickly as is typical.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All is not lost. 4 survivors, 2.2 ratio. And both females are quite berried. So just maybe...

Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode