New 40g Shrimp Tank - Advice Wanted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 40g Shrimp Tank - Advice Wanted

Currently we have two 10 gallon planted tanks that we intend to combine into a single ~40 gallon tank. One of our 10g is a crystal red shrimp tank with maybe 150 individuals. Our other tank has maybe 20 celestial pearl danio (including juveniles, only 7 adult), 2 juvenile mystery snails, and 4 juvenile nerite snails. Both tanks are heavily planted with a variety of plants. the CPD tank is high-tech and the shrimp tank is low tech.

The new tank is a Fluval M90. It is usually intended for reef tanks with an internal sump, but I plan to tear out the divider for the filtration and use HOBs instead. Any reason I should not tear out the divider? I could use it for filtration, but it seems silly to waste 8g of tank space for filtration.

We plan to use our existing plants including java moss (large quantities), purple temple, lilaeopsis, and a few other species that I don't have a current ID for. The java moss will be a primary part of the build, with a "bonsai tree" style wood/moss arrangement on one side, and another wood/moss setup on the other side. The moss should allow better survival rates for fry and baby shrimp. The pressurized CO2 system will go to the new tank. Currently using Seachem ferts.

This tank will be a shrimp tank first and foremost. All other inhabitants need to be pretty shrimp friendly. I am ok with losing some young shrimp to the fish, as long as the population is stable or grows slowly. My primary complaint with the CPD is that my small school is very timid. They rarely leave the back corner of the tank despite having ample hiding places throughout. I love their coloration and size, but I would like to help them become less timid. I hope that increasing their school size and adding some dither fish will make them less timid. Our current plan is to stock as follows:

-~25 CPD
-100-300 CRS
-Nerite and mystery snails.
-Potentially ~5 threadfin rainbows
-Potentially another schooling fish like green rasboras.
-Potentially (wife wants) 1 bamboo shrimp.

I could use help making sure I am not overstocking and am selecting species that go well together. These are pretty much all Asian species but have slightly different requirements. It looks like they all do well in the mid-70s. I will have a heater to keep things around 75F, which is on the higher range for the shrimp and on the lower range for the fish. For flow, I intend to keep flow low throughout most of the tank using two smaller HOB filters with sponge intakes. I will add a small powerhead to one end so that part of the tank has higher flow for the species that prefer it. Substrate will be ecocomplete.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated. We are set on the CPD, CRS, and snails, but really could use some help determining what other shrimp-friendly fish would be attractive and bring out the CPD. I understand bamboo shrimp are sort of their own thing, but it seems like they would be compatible with the other inhabitants as long as flow is sufficient for them. I would also really love to hear about other fish similar to threadfin rainbows that are a little larger, attractive, and semi-shrimp-safe. Thanks!

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7g Low tech cull tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

I have heard that higher co2 levels can mess with shrimp. I haven't done pressurized co2 before so I can't offer first hand advise. I just mention it because you emphasized that this is first and foremost a shrimp tank. I have read from people on this forum that keep shrimp that they often limit their co2 to 15ppm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I have heard that higher co2 levels can mess with shrimp. I haven't done pressurized co2 before so I can't offer first hand advise. I just mention it because you emphasized that this is first and foremost a shrimp tank. I have read from people on this forum that keep shrimp that they often limit their co2 to 15ppm.

This is correct, and is something I have accounted for. I have kept shrimp in our current CO2 injected tank without issue. I just try to keep CO2 to 10-15ppm to reduce pH swings and keep the shrimp happy. I have heard of some people being successful at 30ppm with caridina, but I am not that confident in my control so I aim low. I do not need fast plant growth. I have had much better luck at both plant growth and algae control in my injected tank compared to my Excel-only tanks.

I have found a few sources for threadfin rainbows locally. I am nervous about a major die-off of shrimp as happens sometimes, so I will likely only transfer 20 or so right away and transition slowly to ensure I do not lose the entire colony.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7g Low tech cull tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

Is your current high tech tank at 10-15 ppm? If not you may want to switch it over so your plants can adjust. Otherwise you might get plants melting causing ammonia spikes causing dead shrimp.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Is your current high tech tank at 10-15 ppm? If not you may want to switch it over so your plants can adjust. Otherwise you might get plants melting causing ammonia spikes causing dead shrimp.

Another good consideration, but yes, since I was keeping shrimp in the high-tech previously, I have left it at 10-15ppm. Thanks for double checking on some of these, even though I have them covered they would be common mistakes to make.

7g Low tech cull tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode