How Many Amano Shrimp For A 40 Gallon Breeder? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
How Many Amano Shrimp For A 40 Gallon Breeder?

I have a 40 gallon breeder (36 by 18 by 16 inches), heavily planted low tech tank, and am going to add some Amano Shrimp to eat hair algae and also just because I would really like to have shrimp again. In the past I've had a species tank for Cherry Shrimp for a few years, where I aimed for up to 10 shrimp per gallon of water. But Amano Shrimp seem a lot bigger, and I think that rule would not apply as well for them as for smaller Dwarf Shrimp. I also have a busy bottom of the tank already, with 6 False Julii Corycats, 1 Albino Longfin Bristlenose Pleco, and in the future a single Bolivian Ram. I will be putting in various types of sinking food for all of them. In my past experience with shrimp, they mostly hang out on the bottom and on surfaces like plants and driftwood throughout the tank. I want to get enough shrimp to serve as a competent algae team and have the shrimp visible in groups, but not to the point that things are too busy for everyone's liking. I've heard suggestions from 1 Amano per 10 gallons to 1 Amano per 2 gallons. What would be a good number to aim for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would do about 10 or so Amanos in there as long as there is plenty of food (algae, bio film or fish food). I’d be surprised if the ram doesn’t try to eat them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I personally have kept two Amanos in 3.5 gallons with no issues. I’d say a good general idea would be 1-2 per gallon, but if you have a heavily planted tank like yours, you could probably have even more than that, and if you made sure that you could provide some food specifically for them, even more. I haven’t noticed that they ever fight amongst themselves or anything, so food availability is really the only limiting factor. For your 40 gallon heavily planted, I’d say you comfortably have ~50, but that’s a lot of Amanos to buy! Amanos are much more active than cherry shrimp in my experience, so you could probably get ~25 and be able to see a few of them out all the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode