Filter for shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter for shrimp tank

One of my other threads got me re-thinking the filter setup for my shrimp only tank. I'm not asking for a specific filter recommendation, but rather the overall approach.

1)Mechanical filtration: You know that tan-brown gunk that usually gets trapped in the filter? Do you try to filter the water as much as possible, or rather let chunks of this get recirculated? I once saw a successful CRS tank with no mechanical filtration, the water had all kinds of debris and stuff floating in it, and the shrimp seemed very happy and picking at everything.

2) Biomedia: do u prefer sponge or any of the hard ceramic / rock / sintered glass things? Secondly, do you purposely try to go overboard with the biomedia (which is what I hear some Asian Bee shrimp breeders do) or just use as little as necessary? In my tank setup, the biomedia is actually after the filter outlet, where the stream of water sprays on a small pile of Biomax and lava rocks. It seems the shrimp like to gather there occasionally and pick at the rock. Plus I assume the rest of the surface area of the tank is also doing some nitrification. I have never seen ammonia nor nitrite after the initial cycle, but have been wondering if I should add some more biomedia "on purpose".

3) Do you run any kind of setup that is for de-nitrification, or do you just count on plants to do it?

4) Do you use any chemical media like Purigen?

Basically, I am trying to decide between "low tech natural" and "super clean".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't get the gunk build up... in fact, I rarely ever clean the sponges in the tank.

If I'm only using sponge filters, then I don't use any other type of filtration. If I have a HOB (not with current setup) then I might drop in some Purigen or just use the standard HOB filter stuff with a pre-filter on the inlet.

Water changes mainly to help clear any excess nitrates (rarely have more than 5-ish) and plants... although most of the plants I've had were slow growing so really not much help in that area. Tank actually does have more plants now with fast growing plants, so there's that.

Someday, I wouldn't mind trying the corner sponge filters or HMF style.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

Sorry dont have a shrimp only tank but do have many shrimp in my community tank and several amanos in my betta tank. I use Aquaclear HOBs at the moment.

I use pond filter prefilters on them, its a courser more open sponge filter then the normal fluval or similar ones. They trap the big stuff. Shrimp love hanging out on them.

In the filters I use the stock course sponge on the bottom, a layer of medium course thin sponge, then a fine batting type material, then the bio ceramics on top. I also have a pack of purigen in each. Seems to work pretty good in my setups.

When I do water changes the fine batting gets changed out, about every other one the medium gets washed out in the old tank water, and about once a month or so the course sponge gets the same treatment.

Baby shrimp that make it past the initial survival phase (basically ones that hide well enough to not get eaten until they are about 1/4") are doing very well and growing like crazy. From best estimate I get about 4 or 5 that make it this far for each batch.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 PM
Planted Member

I would say it depends on the size of he tank. If it is a small tank I’d go with a sponge filter so none of the babies will get sucked up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Planted Member

hob with stainless steel guards
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

I use a Fluval C2 with intake sponge for my filtration. I like how easy it is to service (you can pull out each part for cleaning without even shutting the filter off). I use the intake sponge as rough mechanical, then the interior sponges as additional mechanical/biological. I use typical ceramic bio media, and also a bag of purigen (which fits nicely in the C2). It has been very easy to maintain and keeps things looking good. My shrimp have been breeding and living with very low death rates in that tank. Previously I had the small Dennerle corner filter. It is an attractive filter for small setups where the filter can be an eyesore, but it is a pain to clean by comparison, and didn't get the water as clear.

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7g Low tech cull tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode