Amano shrimp valur - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano shrimp valur

Out of curiosity, and looking for your PERSONAL thoughts here.

What would be worth more and how much would you pay between....

Wild caught Amano Shrimp
And
Tank bred/raised Amano Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Planted Member

In case of a "regular" shrimp, wild caught / imported shrimp usually costs less than locally tank-bred because tank-bred shrimp have a higher chance to survive and reproduce in another tank. However, this doesn't apply to amanos - they don't reproduce and are bomb-proof anyway. So, I'd not give a cent more for tank-bred one, it simply doesn't matter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I agree they are pretty easy to keep alive and super hard to kill.
However in regards to the breeding.....Ive made quite a contraption that I have over perfected in the last couple years....i am now able to breed them faster than anything else. With a bit of effort I can literally breed about 10k a month and grow them out in 3 months or so......The most I have bred is about 4k but I have run out if places to sell/trade them.......

I absolutely understand your view of not paying a cent more for your reasons.

I only started breeding them because few people wanted to put the effort in and I figure it can help reduce the impact of pulling them from nature.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
If you're actually breeding them yourself and raising them to adulthood, then definitely offer them for sale here in the For Sale section. I'd love to see it beyond the threads here on the forum.

One thing you'd want to do for hobbyists to be supportive is share some proof that you're successfully producing them yourself. People will be skeptical until they see it for themselves.

I'd pay a $1 premium for healthy, verifiable tank-raised Amano. If they're typically selling from trusted sources for $4, I'd pay $5. But not much more. Maybe $6 from the right person that I've known for several years and if they'd been tank-raised for a few generations. That low price is only because Amano shrimp are essentially detritus-eating machines. Don't have to keep too many of them in any tank and they get rather large. So there wouldn't be a huge demand for large populations in the hobbyist community. I keep a ton of water and have only purchased Amanos three times in a decade.

Instead of 4k/month, I'd aim for 4k/year. Honestly, a smaller number than that would likely be ideal. Focus on making them the best Amanos available and hobbyists will come out of the woodwork to support you. When people focus on quantity over quality, they almost always get ignored by experienced hobbyists.

edit: Since someone PMd me asking what I mean with my pricing... I mean I'd pay about a 20% premium. I picked the $4 figure just because that's the rate I've seen lately from trusted shrimp keepers.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 06-21-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would pay more for tank bred- and also pay more for larger size adults. What I found was the shipping cost and drama outweighed the work that went into breeding. I would get an order for 1 or 2 items with 30.00 shipping and supplies...I started selling to LFS as a trusted source. Much easier.

Amanos are one of those things that I purchase the least. In fact now that they are full grown I could use less.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

I would pay 50% more if they were both in front of me at a LFS and I trusted the source. The reality is, though, that shipping and hassle becomes more important to me as a customer, so I end up just sourcing whatever I can from an LFS. Prices in my area vary widely. I have seen $3 each, and up to $8 each, all in LFS. Their prices do not seem to relate to what is seen online because they effectively have a 30-mile monopoly with only Petco and Petsmart to compete against.

40g high-tech planted with CRS, CPD, and other nano-fish:

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite
No longer in service: 10g high-tech planted with CRS, and CPD:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's impressive, I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd love to see a picture of the thousands of shrimp in one tank.

What size are they at 3 months, what do you feed or your tank has enough algae?

If you have exhausted your markets, try selling online on ebay or forums. I'm surprised you haven't yet if you have exhausted your market.

Hard to price as it many are more value conscious than caring if they are tank bred or not. If anything you should have no problems selling the same as wild caught ones.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode