• 1 Post By frogmanjared
  • 1 Post By ValMM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
African dwarf frog eggs/tadpoles?

Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience with african dwarf frogs and raising tadpoles? My frogs recently laid eggs and they've hatched into tiny tadpoles (about 4 days old). I did some research online but there isn't a ton of info on them so I was wondering if anyone has advice. Thanks!

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-03-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I stumbled across this. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...lopment.96366/
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
Yes, thank you for this article! It's basically the only comprehensive guide I've found in my research too but I was hoping to seek other people's experiences as well because I'm not sure if my tadpoles are doing well or not, based on the growth trajectory the OP has listed.

Update: I started off with about 80 eggs, then my frogs laid another batch a couple days later and I was able to collect about 30 more. So in total, I started off with around 110 eggs. Today is day 8 since the first batch of eggs and I counted about 100 tadpoles left.

Based on the article by frogbreeder, the tadpoles should be actively swimming around day 5 or 6, but most of my tadpoles are still lying at the bottom of the tank. They seem to be the correct size for 8 day old tadpoles, but they arent swimming much. I would say about 15 or so stay around the top and swim around a bit, but even then, they mostly float around rather than actively swim. From the ones that are resting at the bottom, I've picked out the ones who are dead but the others are definitely alive because they scuttle away when I come in with my pipette to suck up dead brine shrimp and such from the bottom.

Because I read that you should begin feeding brine shrimp once they are actively swimming, I fed the tadpoles the first round of freshly hatched BBS yesterday (day 7) even though a majority were not actively swimming, because there were a few tadpoles who were beginning to swim a bit. I didn't want to risk starving them to wait for the others. But it seemed like a good choice because quite a few of them had a nice meal and had bellies full of BBS. Although I'm worried that not all of them had a chance to eat, because the BBS congregated in one area and unless the tadpoles went to that area they wouldnt be able to catch much. I tried my best to herd the swimming ones to the BBS but obviously the ones who were lying on the bottom didn't really eat.

Because the eggs came as a total surprise, I didnt have an infusoria culture ready so I started one the next day but it still isnt ready lol so I guess that's useless now. I added in some plant clippings from my main tank though, so hopefully they were able to provide some infusoria.

Not sure if my tadpoles are just slower in developing or something, but all the videos and posts I've read about tadpoles around this age seem to be swimming already. Hopefully the rest of the tadpoles will perk up within the next couple days.

Right now I'm keeping them in a small sterilite container (12"x7") with a heater at 80F and an airstone going very lightly because I read they like still water. I'm doing multiple small water changes throughout the day to avoid big changes in water chemistry.

Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-06-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
If they are the right size, then they are probably alright. The amount of energy they have might be related to their genetics. Just try your best to make sure everyone has access to food.

Maybe if you put some small pieces of pre-soaked algae wafer in there for a short amount of time the less active ones will be interested in that. Or Omega One Frog and Tadpole pellets?
waterblossom likes this.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMM View Post
If they are the right size, then they are probably alright. The amount of energy they have might be related to their genetics. Just try your best to make sure everyone has access to food.

Maybe if you put some small pieces of pre-soaked algae wafer in there for a short amount of time the less active ones will be interested in that. Or Omega One Frog and Tadpole pellets?
Cool, thanks for explaining! I'll try my best to feed everyone I have some hikari tropical first bites that I've been try to feed as well when BBS runs out. I soak the powder in water first as I read that its dangerous for tadpoles to swallow air if the food is floating, but the only problem is that the powder then sinks too fast and just settles at the bottom before the tadpoles can have any lol. I try sucking the powder back up and then dispersing it through the water again, but then the tadpoles get blown away or scuttle off from the water current and then the powder falls to the bottom again.. well, I'll try some algae wafers like you said and see if anyone is interested. Thanks for your advice

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode