post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Shrimp death, did I cause this?

3.4 gallon planted.
10g rated canister filter
fluval 3.0 nano light

There are two things I'm not sure about:

1. little balls of in-sand fertilizer have come out of the substrate and the shrimp forage around them.
2. I dose flourish excel .3 ml per day
3. ph is 6.6
4. Used water clarifier to clean algae bloom, now the shrimp are eating that algae off the filter sock.

Nitrates are zero.

Last edited by freshwaterguy4u; 06-01-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any tankmates that could have been bothering it?

What are the other parameters for the tank? Ammonia and nitrite v. important as I know you've had several spikes in your tanks. gH is also important for shrimp and I'd guess it's low with a pH of 6.6 (but not necessarily)

Do any of the additives say that they shouldn't be used with shrimps?

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1.) Does it contain copper?

2.) If dosing is 5 ml per 50g, then 10g would require 1 ml. At .3 ml, you should be fine.

3.) What's your GH and KH?

4.) This could possibly be an issue.

Fertilizer may or may not be an issue. How long have the shrimp been in the tank for vs the fertilizers?

Or maybe it's the algae clarifier? Did the deaths occur before or after dosing?

Are you still cleaning out the filters every few weeks with shrimp in tank?

For the best results, we need to have parameter information provided by using a liquid test kit. Test strips are not all that accurate.

Too many changes could have also killed the shrimp.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
1.) Does it contain copper?

2.) If dosing is 5 ml per 50g, then 10g would require 1 ml. At .3 ml, you should be fine.

3.) What's your GH and KH?

4.) This could possibly be an issue.

Fertilizer may or may not be an issue. How long have the shrimp been in the tank for vs the fertilizers?

Or maybe it's the algae clarifier? Did the deaths occur before or after dosing?

Are you still cleaning out the filters every few weeks with shrimp in tank?

For the best results, we need to have parameter information provided by using a liquid test kit. Test strips are not all that accurate.

Too many changes could have also killed the shrimp.
I only have the api freshwater master test kit. Ph is up to 7.2 from 6.6 since I put a cuttle bone in the tank.

I'm not even sure if the shrimp was dead or molting, I lost track of where it is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
1. It'd be beneficial if you'd answer all of @Zoidburg's questions.

2. Stop using Excel and water clarifiers with shrimp.
Zoidburg likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

API also has a GH and KH liquid test kit, although some people say that Sera and Nutrafin are better.

Have you noticed any other issues with any of the other shrimp, or just the one?
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you lost any more? If so, were there any symptoms?

Shrimp skins are clear and look like they've almost exploded, whereas a dead shrimp will either look like a shrimp on its side, a husk with flesh attached, or something in between.

As previously said, answering Zoidburg's questions would be very beneficial.

It would also be beneficial to know what tankmates there are and if there have been any more spikes as the tank has had several previously due to overstocking and insufficient cycling.

Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode