How many cleaners in a heavily planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes
  • 7 Post By ipkiss
  • 2 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many cleaners in a heavily planted tank?

Trying to get a feel for how many cleaners such as nerites, amanos, bristlenoses, etc ppl use in their tanks. Could you post your tank sizes and how many of each cleaner you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
20gallons. 1 human, equipped with 1 algae scraper and a suction hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
20gallons. 1 human, equipped with 1 algae scraper. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png" border="0" alt="" title="Devil" >:-)</a>
Haha, nice &#x1f604;

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:02 AM
Planted Member

Right now my 40B has 5 or 6 OTOs (I think), some amanos, some other shrimps, about 3 nerites. Other then algae eaters there are 6 false juliis (and a few babies).

Ive started supplementing there algae food. There is practically no algae (enough but not much visible). I saw one of the nerites today digging down in the sand and running along the glass under the sand to get the strip of algae thats between the glass and sand above the bottom rim.

Swapped over a small castle covered in diatoms and algae from my 10g algae (I mean betta) tank and the OTOs and baby cory are all over it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've never planned on "cleaner" critters.
I do keep a school of 12 Corys just for the purpose of shuffling through the substrate.
They don't stir the substrate as I would like, they have learned to perform a tag team operation @ removing snails from their shells though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM
Planted Member

Maryland Guppy what substrate do ya have? My 6 corys are always rooting around in my PFS substrate. The night after a water change/vac the sand will be pot marked with little dimples. They go down about 1/4-1/3" into the sand.

Now the Nerites burry themselves when foraging. They go down a good inch, have scene mounds in the sand that a nerite emerges from lol. Ofcourse its spotty when and where they do it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
Trying to get a feel for how many cleaners such as nerites, amanos, bristlenoses, etc ppl use in their tanks. Could you post your tank sizes and how many of each cleaner you use?
17 Gallon

1 1.5 inch Nano Pleco
4 Otos
3 Amanos
4 Nerite Snails (1 Big 3 small)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Maryland Guppy what substrate do ya have? My 6 corys are always rooting around in my PFS substrate. The night after a water change/vac the sand will be pot marked with little dimples. They go down about 1/4-1/3" into the sand.
I have BDBS 2" thick with panda & C123 corys.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Algae Grower

My strategy is to introduce some MTS and to add some powdered crab cuisine once a day after the lights go out to boost their population. They rotate substrate, eat algae, and you can control population by adjusting the night time feeling amount.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
20gallons. 1 human, equipped with 1 algae scraper and a suction hose.
Me too.

120G heavily planted no cleaners.

If tank is running well should be no need.

That being said, I might add some shrimp, mostly to please my wife who thinks they would be cool.
Maryland Guppy and mgeorges like this.

------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
In my tanks- 45 gal: three zebra nerites, several dozen malaysian trumpet snails, handful ramshorn snails.

33 gal- uncounted malaysian trumpet snails

10 gal- two small horned nerites, some malaysian trumpet snails

1.5 gal- seven amano shrimps (no other livestock)

My shrimp bowl is always spotless and I barely feed them (so far). 75 and 33 I have to scrape the front glass occasionally- maybe once a month or so. 10 gal I rarely need to clean the glass. But the number of fishes, light intensity, plant mass and so forth is diff in each tank and all that makes a diff in how much algae there is, too.

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm. Let’s see if I can remember (not counting breeding which is a real thing)

40g- 2 ottos, 2 nerites, 5 Amano, handful of cherries
10g- 1 Otto, 1 nerite, 6 Amano, 2 cherries
6g- 1 oto, 1 nerite, 6 Amano, oodles of cherries
6g- none
4g- 1 nerite, 2 Amano
2.5g oodles of cherries, 1 nerite
4g- none

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode