Fish dieoff after introducing snails? Ammonia levels fine? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knotwood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Fish dieoff after introducing snails? Ammonia levels fine?

Hello. As the title suggests I just came home to 6 dead glowlight tetras and 2 very discolored pearl gouramis after introducing some malaysian trumpet snails. They were introduced directly from transport to the tank a couple of hours ago. I immediately picked the snails out and quarantined them, removed the dead fish, did a 50% water change, treated the water with prime. I also before the water change took water samples and checked the ammonia/nitrite/ph/nitrate/temp.
Ammonia came up 0, nitrite 0, temp at 79(usual), nitrate below 20, pH at it's usual 6.7ish. I assumed this was due to ammonia but I'm extremely confused. The tetras has nothng obviously wrong, they just went pale and floated to the top. The gouramis have large brown splotches on top of them and look much dimmer than usual. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Knotwood; 05-25-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Specifying time frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The fish died 2 hours after introducing the snails?
What size tank? How many fish and what kinds?
How long has the Tank been established?
When did you add your last fish?
Do you use Co2? Excel?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The fish died 2 hours after introducing the snails?
What size tank? How many fish and what kinds?
How long has the Tank been established?
When did you add your last fish?
Do you use Co2? Excel?

Yes, and the rest of my tetras died overnight. Gouramis looking weak. 30 gal, 2 pearl gouramis and 8 glowlight tetras, established for almost a year, last fish added a few months ago. No co2/excel(mostly rock and wood). Invertebrates all doing fine though

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is very strange.
It sounds like contamination. But, not from the snails themselves though. I cant think of any disease or parasite that could bring in by fish or invertebrates that would kill that fast.
You certainly wouldn't have a ammonia or nitrite spike in that short of time due to bio-load.
Maybe something from your hands when introduced snails? Any chemicals sprayed in room that could have settled?
Thats all I got- sorry.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This also seems so strange to me that all stock were lost that fast. Were the snails shipped in water? If so, were they removed from that before adding to your tank? I agree that this sounds like some kind of environmental contamination as your water is testing fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, this is why I'm super confused. I've been doing a ton of research into what may have caused this - various bacterial and viral infections- but nothing fits the time frame. My gouramis are just barely hanging on now. All still tests perfect. I'm thinking about taking a dead tetra to the vet to try and get some answers. They were removed from the water before adding and no chemicals. I don't think I had anything on my hands. It's just totally confusing to me. I appreciate the responses though, this is my first time losing fish in my year and a half keeping them and it's kinda rough.

Bump: Oh. I think I may have an idea. I have an African Mask (Alocasia Amazonica) that has reached into the water with it's leaf in the past couple of weeks. I left it because it looked cool and the plant seemed to enjoy it. However, this is a toxic plant. The skin if the leaf never ruptured, but maybe the alocasia has been poisoning my aquarium this whole time? I might be reaching but backtracking only makes this make less sense.

Edit: After doing more research, I found out that the alocasia releases insoluable calcium oxalate as a toxin. This is a key component in the development in kidney stones, and makes up about 80% of them. Maybe my fish have been getting crystal buildups of this, and that's why the tetras died before the gouramis? Still strange that they all died in the same time frame. I moved the plant away and added carbon to my filter. If this is the case it might be a first time thing as I couldn't find any info about similar happenings.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Knotwood; 05-26-2019 at 12:34 AM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think that is a very good guess. Very possible!

Tags
dead, die, dieoff, fish, snails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode