Shrimp Planted Tank Advice ! - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Question Shrimp Planted Tank Advice !

Hi all ,

my tank established in 15-Dec-2018 ( 6 Months ago )

Tank Size :

15.6 Gallon
50 x 32 x 37 Cm

Plants :

1. Java Moss ( Many )
2. 3x Marimo Moss Balls
3. 4x Anibuis ( Two Different Types )
4. 2x Amazon Sword
5. 2x Unknown Plant ( Attached No.1 )

Species ( Shrimps more than 50 , Adults & Babies )

1. Cherry Shrimp
2. Amano Shrimp
3. Yellow Shrimp Yellow Fire
4. Black
5. White
6. Black & White
6. Snails

all water parameter are good.

30% Weekly Water Change
1 ml Seachem Flourish ( Fertilizer ) ( Weekly )
1x Tablets Co2 ( every other day )
Alder Cones
Almond Leafs
Cholla Wood

Lights :

DoPhin LED-1090 Aquarium Light For 55cm to 65cm Tank - Bio-Lux (20W)
Multiple spectrum
LED bulb to provide optimum illumination
120į light dispersion
Total Led's = 48
9 Hours Daily ( only 6 Led Lights Running - dim light) ( Timer )

Filter :

Canister external Filter


my Questions :

1. does everything above are okay ?
2. do i need to keep using co2 tablets ? or using Seachem Flourish instead ? or using nothing better .
3. do i need to run air pump at night ?
4. what is the name of plant in the attach image No.1 ? and what the requirements to grow ?
5. what light should i choose ? dim light ( 6 Led's ) or Bright Light ( 48 Led's ) ? and for how many hours ? see images attached ( No.3 Dim Light , No.4 Bright Light )
6. how often should i change the water ? and how much water should change ?

any other advice will be appreciated.

thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	881859  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	881861  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	881863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	881865  


Last edited by hurts; 05-19-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added new point
hurts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: StL, Misery
Posts: 18
The plant you're asking about looks like Staurogyne Repens.
shewolf is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,506
Since you listed at least three different species of shrimp, and two technically have different water parameter preferences, it makes me question what your water parameters actually are.

And that first picture makes me question if you have amanos or not. (if the clear-ish shrimp is supposed to be an amano)
Zoidburg is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: PNW
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Since you listed at least three different species of shrimp, and two technically have different water parameter preferences, it makes me question what your water parameters actually are.

And that first picture makes me question if you have amanos or not. (if the clear-ish shrimp is supposed to be an amano)
We really need to figure out a name for those "not-amanos"
Zoidburg likes this.
Quint is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf View Post
The plant you're asking about looks like Staurogyne Repens.
Hi @shewolf , Thanks i guess you are right , i will read more about this plant since i knew the name now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Since you listed at least three different species of shrimp, and two technically have different water parameter preferences, it makes me question what your water parameters actually are.

And that first picture makes me question if you have amanos or not. (if the clear-ish shrimp is supposed to be an amano)
Hi @Zoidburg ,

thanks for your feedback , i don't have a lot of measurement tools , but below :

Ammonia = 0
TDS = 214
Ph = 7.5
Water Temperature : 27 C

the one in the picture is not Amano , i have 7 piece's of Amano Shrimp

seriously for all types of shrimps that i have im not pretty sure what the exact name of these maybe they are all cherry shrimp with different color , i don't know . but i'm sure i have Amano Shrimp .

i think the tank doing not bad as i have a lot of breeding shrimp and babies and the plants growing fine .
only the main concern that i have about the light .

as i mentioned above , the 20W light i'm using have two switch ( 6 Lights Or 48 Lights ) i don't know which one i should keep using and for how long hours daily.


thanks

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-22-2019 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
hurts is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower
 
Pythos's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
We really need to figure out a name for those "not-amanos"

Imposter's!
Zoidburg likes this.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
Pythos is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurts View Post
Hi @Zoidburg ,

thanks for your feedback , i don't have a lot of measurement tools , but below :

Ammonia = 0
TDS = 214
Ph = 7.5
Water Temperature : 27 C

the one in the picture is not Amano , i have 7 piece's of Amano Shrimp

seriously for all types of shrimps that i have im not pretty sure what the exact name of these maybe they are all cherry shrimp with different color , i don't know . but i'm sure i have Amano Shrimp .

i think the tank doing not bad as i have a lot of breeding shrimp and babies and the plants growing fine .
only the main concern that i have about the light .

as i mentioned above , the 20W light i'm using have two switch ( 6 Lights Or 48 Lights ) i don't know which one i should keep using and for how long hours daily.


thanks
Do you know what your dKH and dGH values are? Caridina may not last long in too hard of water.
Zoidburg likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Do you know what your dKH and dGH values are? Caridina may not last long in too hard of water.
no i don't actually . i was mistaken for TDS value i was shared .

i've measure the TDS today its 800PPM i assume its really bad level for shrimp . i've also measure the tab water its around 750PPM .

we are using different source for drinking water ( Nestle Bottles ) i've measure the TDS and it was 124PPM .

so what do you think , i can use drinking water instead of tab water while doing frequent water change ?
hurts is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurts View Post
no i don't actually . i was mistaken for TDS value i was shared .



i've measure the TDS today its 800PPM i assume its really bad level for shrimp . i've also measure the tab water its around 750PPM .



we are using different source for drinking water ( Nestle Bottles ) i've measure the TDS and it was 124PPM .



so what do you think , i can use drinking water instead of tab water while doing frequent water change ?


It would probably be better than your tap. 800 ppm TDS....I donít think your caridina shrimp will last.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
varanidguy is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks will do water changes with the same drinking water , i'm wondering about one thing , does the drinking water has all the benefit minerals as the tab water ? , i know that drinking water goes with a lot of filtration process !
hurts is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower
 
Yaboihunt's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
@richie.p maybe you can help also


YaBoiHunt
Yaboihunt is online now  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Hi all ,

just updated images of what type of shrimp i have .













what are these babies shrimp type ?



thanks
hurts is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,506
Without knowing the GH and KH of the water you are using, there's really no telling how well they'll do. Please get a liquid test kit.

The clear shrimp are Neos.


I have to wonder if the Crystals are breeding at all....
Zoidburg is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Without knowing the GH and KH of the water you are using, there's really no telling how well they'll do. Please get a liquid test kit.
I just ordered the GH & KH test for around $6 from (https://www.kensfish.com/). Cheaper than I've seen anywhere, and super helpful since we're on well water (aka VERY hard).

I've heard that adding peat moss to your filter media can help lower the hardness. Maybe someone here can confirm or deny the efficacy of that?
Zoidburg likes this.
CatsMeow is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
hurts's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
hi all ,

thanks , i will sure get that kit ASAP , and its not about the cost it a little bit difficult to find it in my place .

just i have two remaining questions if anyone can help me plz :


1. what light level should i choose ? dim light ( 6 Led's ) or Bright Light ( 48 Led's ) ? and for how many hours ? see images attached ( No.3 Dim Light , No.4 Bright Light ) put in your consideration the light bar height from the tank its only ( 4.00cm )



2. do you prefer using drinking water instead of tab water bcz it has lower TDS level ( on weekly water Change ) ? , below drinking water parameters :



thanks .

Last edited by hurts; 05-23-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: water param
hurts is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to shrimp keeping shrimpkeeper Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 29 06-24-2013 03:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome