• 1 Post By Pythos
  • 1 Post By varanidguy
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RCS vs. Corys

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a "stupid" question, but is there a pro/con of either of those options? I will have a 10 gallon, low tech planted aquarium. I've had corys in old tanks, but never shrimps, so I'd be curious if they're just as effective. Keeping in mind I do not want to overload the bioload whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

Are you planning to keep fish in the tank or just the shrimp? If you only want to keep the shrimp then a shrimp-specific pellet is a good idea. If you buy a tiny glass dish (example) you can serve the pellet on the dish, and then remove the dish with any uneaten food when the shrimp are done eating to prevent leftover food from breaking down into ammonia.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Are you planning to keep fish in the tank or just the shrimp? If you only want to keep the shrimp then a shrimp-specific pellet is a good idea. If you buy a tiny glass dish (example) you can serve the pellet on the dish, and then remove the dish with any uneaten food when the shrimp are done eating to prevent leftover food from breaking down into ammonia.
I do plan on keeping fish in the tank. I will stick with only peaceful communal fish like Tetras, Platys, etc. Would having other fish cause corys to be a better choice?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

Corys tend to do better with more of them. I had 2, then 4, and now 6. 6 seems to be the number of beginning to be really happy. Its very apparent on the change of behavior. Not sure about the dwarf variety.

If your looking primarily for a clean up crew having some RCS and amanos together couldnt hurt. They are always munching on stuff. The platies may be a little bit of an issue with the shrimp and smaller fish. Atleast in my experience.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quint is right about the corys--they're happier in schools. Never had any of the pygmies, but I've read they & the other tiny corys are more mid-level fish and not bottom scavengers. If you're just looking for something to clean up uneaten food & algae, snails work as well as shrimp. Get nerites if you don't want them to breed--they come in lots of cool colors & patterns.

If you're doing a low bioload 10 gal, get 6 or more each of tiny fish species: tetras, rasboras, endlers, etc. That way you can get larger numbers of each kind so they're happier and show schooling behavior which is always fun to watch. And the littler guys are less likely to eat shrimp--except maybe their fry. You'd probably need a separate shrimp-only tank if you're planning to breed them. Otherwise they make a good clean up crew, and are fun to watch

Platys get kinda big and poop a lot IME. My biggest newbie mistake was getting one of everything that appealed to me. They survived but weren't happy, and don't live as long. Pick 2-3 species you like, and get enough that they can exhibit their natural behaviors.

Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp have a very small bioload so it would be hard to 'overwhelm' a tank with them. That said, if you plan on having it be a community tank, then I would have to recommend amanos. Tetras may or may not eat the shrimp (even adult shrimp - have heard that they can gang up and kill shrimp - no personal experience with them) and the platies may eat adults. Unless the tank is set up right or you establish the shrimp first, the shrimp are most likely going to hide. With amanos, you would at least be able to see them out and about. Some may hide but they are less likely to hide when there are also fish in the tank. Amanos are also more forgiving of random water parameters than Neos are.

Thus far, I've only kept pygmy cory in a community tank without shrimp. They tend to rest anywhere... the bottom of the tank, on plant leaves, sometimes even swimming up to the surface for some air, then dashing back down. Even more amusing is when they occasionally "school" with the kuhli loaches (that are swimming in circles on the glass) or with the guppies. They'll do this for a few moments then swim off somewhere else.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Shrimp have a very small bioload so it would be hard to 'overwhelm' a tank with them. That said, if you plan on having it be a community tank, then I would have to recommend amanos. Tetras may or may not eat the shrimp (even adult shrimp - have heard that they can gang up and kill shrimp - no personal experience with them) and the platies may eat adults. Unless the tank is set up right or you establish the shrimp first, the shrimp are most likely going to hide. With amanos, you would at least be able to see them out and about. Some may hide but they are less likely to hide when there are also fish in the tank. Amanos are also more forgiving of random water parameters than Neos are.

Thus far, I've only kept pygmy cory in a community tank without shrimp. They tend to rest anywhere... the bottom of the tank, on plant leaves, sometimes even swimming up to the surface for some air, then dashing back down. Even more amusing is when they occasionally "school" with the kuhli loaches (that are swimming in circles on the glass) or with the guppies. They'll do this for a few moments then swim off somewhere else.

My pygmy corys will school with my raboras... It actually pretty neat.

I keep shrimp in there with them as well both Amano and Red Cherries. They have both settled in and are thriving. It is a very established tank however with tons of plants.
Zoidburg likes this.

Yeah... I name my fish...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- "Dot"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Im kind of in the same boat as you, OP. I have some golden back yellow neos just starting up, but once the colony establishes, I want to add pygmy corydoras and chili rasboras. Ive been reading that its a mixed bag but the consensus seems to be that so long as your colony is 1) established and 2) the shrimp babies have lots of hiding places, the chances of success really goes up.

Plenty of people even have thriving colonies of neos in straight up community tanks, so it is possible. But if your goal is to get a massive colony of shrimp and possibly even make some side money selling them, then a shrimp only tank is the way to go. But if you want a display, it seems that some fish can cautiously be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zoidburg likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are the type of person that doesn't like your substrate disturbed and gets irritated when your white sand gets mixed with the tan, then I would not get corydoras. They will not do damage- but, they stick their snouts in the substrate and forage heartily- with glee.
Personally, I have them in almost all my tanks. They are like little clowns.

They need a soft sand, however for their underbellies as they are prone to Red Blotch disease when kept under anything too course.

The smaller the corydoras species the larger the group should be to make them comfortable in the aquarium. If you are getting pygmy species, get 12. this will make them feel secure and they will forage and swim about as is their nature disposition.
For a 10 gallon, I would not get the larger species of corydoras- your tank is too small to get an adequate size group.
frogmanjared likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode